header.nohb.html

Steve Smith's ride on "Dont Stop Believin'"?

Tdipaul

Reaction score
I might be a little upset if I bought this thinking it was the actual ride used on the tune...

According to Steve here it isn't, because he still has it! :)

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the video you can see "ping ride" but in the auction I don't see that. Maybe that was the prior one that he played and later got cracked and he sold but kept #2?

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they would've listed a weight we could determine if it was a ping or a medium ride!
From the info I have (1980/81 Zil setup book) and the sound, he always used a 24" ping up to the "Frontiers" tour in '82 when he switched to a 22" K (I saw them at the LA Forum!).
I believe he recorded Frontiers with a ping.
I bet John DeChristopher can nail this down!!!

1980:
1657566583387.png

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they would've listed a weight we could determine if it was a ping or a medium ride!
From the info I have (1980/81 Zil setup book) and the sound, he always used a 24" ping up to the "Frontiers" tour in '82 when he switched to a 22" K (I saw them at the LA Forum!).
I believe he recorded Frontiers with a ping.
I bet John DeChristopher can nail this down!!!

1980:
View attachment 571056
We talked about his 24” A Ping Ride on my show a while back. And I believe he talks about it in his MD Legends Series Book.

Edit: Steve talks about his 24” Ping around 33 mins in. And yes, he does indeed still have it.

Last edited:

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We talked about his 24” A Ping Ride on my show a while back. And I believe he talks about it in his MD Legends Series Book.

Edit: Steve talks about his 24” Ping around 33 mins in. And yes, he does indeed still have it.

Wow.. just wow!!!
Thanks for covering this, (starting @ 29:00 ) people ALWAYS freak out when I tell them Steve played Paiste's on Journey's evolution (except for the ride!).
Here's his 24" ping, Sound creation hi hats and his monster 2002 china (see pic) all in one song!

1657588750621.png

dje31

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's the mandala effect, or an aging brain battling through the fog of memory and the ravages of time...

...but I never saw or noticed the cymbal racks on both sides of SS's kit before this thread...and there's actually two different pics of it!

Slap me down and call me Susan!

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's the mandala effect, or an aging brain battling through the fog of memory and the ravages of time...

...but I never saw or noticed the cymbal racks on both sides of SS's kit before this thread...and there's actually two different pics of it!

Slap me down and call me Susan!
Good point! I hadn’t noticed them either. Pics are from around 1980.

stevesmithfan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought a Zildjian 24” Ping Ride from Steve Maxwells. The hollow logo is still intact along with the Ping ride logo. It’s from 1980 and weighs 5150g of delicious goodness!

Tarkus

Reaction score
Thanks for this thread. Soon, I'll be subbing in for a drummer in a band playing this song, and I just realized: I did it wrong for decades. Never saw the left handed hi-hat which makes everything easier. And I thought the quarters during refrain and solo are on the ride cymbal, too.

Great lesson.

@ stevesmithfan: above 5 kg is a lot. In the interview video, he talks about 10+ pound, which is above 4.5 kg. I have a very similar one, stamped 'Ping Ride' and 'heavy' with 4.3 kg, and the bell is just as good. In the 3 kg version linked above, the bell is far off what is needed for the song.

Just can't imagine to crack such a Ping Ride by playing alone. It feels stable like an anvil.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I happened upon that video last night on youtube. I have a 24" A ping ride and now I'm inspired to dig it out.