Stewart Copeland And His COB PEARL JUPITER

No.15

Reaction score
I love how hw plays the coronet somewhat crappily and says, "that's ok I can fix it in pro tools" :) made me laugh

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve chatted back and forth with Jeff Seitz too! He’s cool about chatting anything Copeland related.
I’ve seen him mention that the whole reason for the cast batter hoop was due to Stewart constantly breaking triple flange hoops. I can’t believe that anyone could actually break one
Copeland was (is) infamous for playing at marching drum-tunings. I remember when the Police 1st re-formed in the mid-2000s...they played on VH1, I think, or some other initial live TV event, and Copeland broke a snare head (of course).

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Copeland was (is) infamous for playing at marching drum-tunings. I remember when the Police 1st re-formed in the mid-2000s...they played on VH1, I think, or some other initial live TV event, and Copeland broke a snare head (of course).
I asked his drum tech once how they tune his Tama signature Snare and he said that they tune the bottom head maybe a little higher than usual tuning and the top head very tight. In his words he said, when you think it’s tight go tighter

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I asked his drum tech once how they tune his Tama signature Snare and he said that they tune the bottom head maybe a little higher than usual tuning and the top head very tight. In his words he said, when you think it’s tight go tighter
FWIW, I remember this post from Tama about 6-7 years ago.
255B90BC-4546-48B1-949C-76A205C8ABAE.jpeg

Reactions: 202

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I remember this post from Tama about 6-7 years ago.
View attachment 538609
Thanks, I recently saw that too but Tama tension watch readings are different than the drumdial readings and obviously Tunebot so I contacted the guys at drumdial and asked them if they could translate that so that I could try it with my drumdial and he couldn’t. But he gave me an estimate. I haven’t tried it yet though.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally believe that...and it's not just the tuning. I mean, there are plenty of jazz guys that play their snares at high tunings, and have the same heads for years. You also have to factor in that Copeland is basically a world-class athlete; a big, tall guy with ferocious arm strength, so he hits hard, or at least used to. I remember seeing him back in the 80s, and he was like watching an NFL wide receiver up there bashing the drums. No wonder that Sting, basically a jazz guy, felt acoustically assaulted by him.

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
I totally believe that...and it's not just the tuning. I mean, there are plenty of jazz guys that play their snares at high tunings, and have the same heads for years. You also have to factor in that Copeland is basically a world-class athlete; a big, tall guy with ferocious arm strength, so he hits hard, or at least used to. I remember seeing him back in the 80s, and he was like watching an NFL wide receiver up there bashing the drums. No wonder that Sting, basically a jazz guy, felt acoustically assaulted by him.

I think Jim Chaplin coined the term when describing Dave Tough. I think he was comparing Tough to Buddy Rich aka the “drum athlete”

“Some of the most revered players in history could hardly execute at all in the scholastic rudimental sense. What they did to an extraordinary degree was relate to the musical situation at hand, and to comment with their instruments in a unique and individual manner. This is a far more effective means of becoming indispensable than striving to be a drum athlete.”

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never knew he was a left hand lead righty. In that video he certainly seems to be though.