header.nohb.html

Stewart Copeland cymbal sound

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
No doubt the Paiste Sig Blue Bell is a gorgeous cymbal. I have owned TWO, always with regrets as to what I was HOPING it sounded like.

I think the Blue Bell represents where Stewart's playing has evolved to. Stewart is a great player, no doubt.

I think the Copeland ride sounds we want are all from early Paiste RUDE cymbals. I couldn't coax a Police sound easily out of that Blue Bell. She was frustrating and stubborn.

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stewey didn't start using Paiste's until "Ghost in the machine" at that point he was using a mix of Rudes and 602's
(particularly hi hats).
He used a 24" Rude ride/crash on both "ghost" and "Synchronicity" (he also started using a 2002 china type on this album).
The Blu bell came decades later after the Police....

The 1st. three albums are all Zils, no question about this! He either used a 22" ping or a "rock" 21" ride.

Stewey recording Synchronicity in Monserrat (notice the 602 crashes):

231130378_10226238536371332_5453747145600522450_n.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Cat

Reaction score
No doubt the Paiste Sig Blue Bell is a gorgeous cymbal. I have owned TWO, always with regrets as to what I was HOPING it sounded like.

I think the Blue Bell represents where Stewart's playing has evolved to. Stewart is a great player, no doubt.

I think the Copeland ride sounds we want are all from early Paiste RUDE cymbals. I couldn't coax a Police sound easily out of that Blue Bell. She was frustrating and stubborn.
Paistes RUDE line has a very distinctive sound from all the others,
I used a RUDE 20" crash/ride for a few months and it's personality was very much it's own master lol.... what caught my attention to it immediately was hearing it recorded on VHS tape, we recorded many of our sets in the 80s when i used an all Zildjian setup, listening to our recording on vhs tape for the 1st time it wasn't about the RUDE ride, BUT that RUDE ***STOOD OUT*** in the mix(if you can even call it a mix) what sound you got from your basic run of the mill VHS recorder back then was pretty bland and dull, but this RUDE was astonishing with respect to the clarity of all aspects of it
from a steady riding ping to the bell and crashing & the wash, its as if it was mic'd-n-run/EQ'd via mixing console,
now Ive heard Paiste cymbals(2oo2 16"-crash+602 flat ride) stand out in similar fashion but the sound of that RUDE ride was exceptional on vhs tape which is very bland sounding.
It's exciting to think of having an entire RUDE setup to experiment with.
and what your saying about Stewarts Poice era ridride/cymbal sound was a definitely a RUDE influence

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Stewey didn't start using Paiste's until "Ghost in the machine" at that point he was using a mix of Rudes and 602's
(particularly hi hats).
He used a 24" Rude ride/crash on both "ghost" and "Synchronicity" (he also started using a 2002 china type on this album).

The 1st. three albums are all Zils, no question about this! He either used a 22" ping or a "rock" 21" ride.
Correct. And just to clarify: I had said in my original post that the Blue Bell was where he had evolved to. I knew it was on the later albums where he his Paiste RUDE and 602 sound came to the fore. The bell sounds were so Paiste from that period.

As a point of digression, it was strange that the RUDE cymbals were finding themselves outside of the musical genres they were designed specifically for, and Stewie is DEFINITELY an example; after all, the Police were hardly punk or metal!

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct. And just to clarify: I had said in my original post that the Blue Bell was where he had evolved to. I knew it was on the later albums where he his Paiste RUDE and 602 sound came to the fore. The bell sounds were so Paiste from that period.

As a point of digression, it was strange that the RUDE cymbals were finding themselves outside of the musical genres they were designed specifically for, and Stewie is DEFINITELY an example; after all, the Police were hardly punk or metal!
The Police were very much a punk band!
Listen to their 1st. album, they rode the punk wave and mixed that with reggae that gave them a very unique sound.
Stewey put the band together and wrote many of the early songs with a punk attitude and high energy but Sting quickly overshadowed Stewart as a songwriter.
He quickly became more sophisticated in his writing, the dividing line is Zenyatta, Andy Summers stated that that was the last album of the "old" Police sound, Ghost was very different with a lot more keyboards and big production, the "new" Police sound......

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Police were very much a punk band!
Listen to their 1st. album, they rode the punk wave and mixed that with reggae that gave them a very unique sound.
Stewey put the band together and wrote many of the early songs with a punk attitude and high energy but Sting quickly overshadowed Stewart as a songwriter.
He quickly became more sophisticated in his writing, the dividing line is Zenyatta, Andy Summers stated that that was the last album of the "old" Police sound, Ghost was very different with a lot more keyboards and big production, the "new" Police sound......
The reggae/ska influence never left; it was just by the time they became a lot more commercial sounding, the punk edge was gone. Of course the Police were so unique, but I wouldn't have called them heavy.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The reggae/ska influence never left; it was just by the time they became a lot more commercial sounding, the punk edge was gone. Of course the Police were so unique, but I wouldn't have called them heavy.
I have that blue bell ride. Luckily I bought it used with a discount because I haven’t found much use for it either. And you’re right, Drummers from outside of the hard rock realm like rude cymbals too. Gary husband likes the hihats

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Interesting. The one signature ride I have found to sound exactly like it’s supposed to is the 22” Reflector Bell Ride - Nicko’s model - the Powerslave Ride. You want that exact sound, then you’ll get it. It’s also, IMO, a very musical ride, more versatile than it’s name suggests.

ppfd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Stew used a sig dry heavy for a while. Then a green coated dry heavy, I remember an MD interview years ago, he mentioned a prototype ride cymbal.
So, I'd say the dry heavy/ green dry heavy became the blue bell.
Just my thoughts puting 1 and 1 together.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Stew used a sig dry heavy for a while. Then a green coated dry heavy, I remember an MD interview years ago, he mentioned a prototype ride cymbal.
So, I'd say the dry heavy/ green dry heavy became the blue bell.
Just my thoughts puting 1 and 1 together.
I think the blue bell ride is based on the Dark Metal Ride. Also, in pics of Stew playing in the last decade or so I’ve seen him playing some kind of Twenty ride

ppfd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That could have been it, been years since I read that interview.
All these big time endorsers are always using some sort of super secret cymbal or something never available to the public

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All these big time endorsers are always using some sort of super secret cymbal or something never available to the public
Yeah this seems a lot like it

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Actually that video I just posted was the precursor to the dark metal ride. Here’s the dark metal ride. It looks exactly the same as the blue bell ride except it’s not blue.

scheme

Reaction score
What I think is special in his current setup are his 12" signature hats. In general I don't see many 12" hats in use. Did he ever mention why he prefers this size? I saw that he used some 13" earlier, so he seems to like his hats on the small side.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
One of the chief roles of an endorser is field R&D of new and upcoming products; many of which are prototypes the public will never see.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
(particularly hi hats).

Stewey recording Synchronicity in Monserrat (notice the 602 crashes):

View attachment 593761
Thanks to Dan The Man @type85 for setting the record straight about Stewart using Zildjians for the first three Police records. Back in the late 90s or early 2000s a consumer wrote to Modern Drummer's "Ask A Pro" asking what ride cymbal Stewart used on "Roxanne" or "Message In A Bottle" (an early Police song) and they referred the question to the (then) marketing person at Paiste, who said it was the ride Stewart was currently using at the time, 20 plus years after the song was recorded. I wrote to MD and said it was definitely an A Zildjian and it precipitated a "dialog" between the two of us. A couple of years later Erik Paiste and I had a good laugh about it at Musikmesse in Frankfurt.

I present Exhibit A ;)
Stewart Copeland Zildjian.jpeg

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What I think is special in his current setup are his 12" signature hats. In general I don't see many 12" hats in use. Did he ever mention why he prefers this size? I saw that he used some 13" earlier, so he seems to like his hats on the small side.
He said he thought bigger hats were too clunky sounding.

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have the Hudson Music book on Stewart at home, will check later but I think his early hihats were 14" Zildjian
Mick

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He said he thought bigger hats were too clunky sounding.
Regarding the 12 inch high hats, when he was talking about them in a video on YouTube have the size that with the 12 inch size you really own those high hats when you step on them and they can get as tight as possible. He really emphasized the word own.