Stick sizes

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I know I can just try them out and I will but I like most of the feedback from a lot of people and want to hear it.

I've always played 2B and I still will practicing at least. Big hands, good grip and they just feel right. I started off with probably 5A and didn't like them, I didn't feel like I had a lot of control over them but that was a while back and my skill level has progressed and I'm going to try a more medium sized stick at some point to see if there's a difference.

What do you play and why?

Thanks for the responses.

slew

Reaction score
I have big hands too and I like some weight to my sticks, so I prefer the feel of 2B, but I can't find 2B with jazz tips, they all seem to come with giant round knobs for tips.. I've searched and searched. I've considered trying to modify the tips but I don't have woodworking setup so it wouldn't be practical unless I could have someone do a large batch of them at once.

So I practice with 2B and in a typical setting to play I usually use Vic Firth Peter Erskine "Ride", which are 5A, and still feel pretty good, and are quite versatile for sound.

But for a heavier musical setting, I kind of fantasize about 2B or maybe even a bit thicker, with sharp and pointy tips, like giant wooden knitting needles.

il_fullxfull.1053698086_laq5.jpg

hsosdrum

Reaction score
For 90% of my playing I use the Vic Firth 55A — a cross between a 5A and a 5B. When I need more "slam" I switch to 5Bs; when I need to play more delicately I switch to 5As.

MidiFinger

Reaction score
I switched to Promark 2S Tommy Aldridge Shira Okashi Oak... Wow they are great, they are Diameter: .63" Length: 17"
You can really blast the drums with those things.

Last edited:

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vic Firth sticks for me!

Jen Ledger signature sticks for warm up and Extreme 55A for normal playing.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's a big subject. $450 should cover it lemme know.
Man you dropped $50 in a period of 30 minutes. At that rate, you'll be giving up your supreme knowledge for free in 4.5 hours!
I'll check back in on the thread at 4:41 am (Eastern time).
I'll have my pen & notebook ready!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Man you dropped $50 in a period of 30 minutes. At that rate, you'll be giving up your supreme knowledge for free in 4.5 hours!
I'll check back in on the thread at 4:41 am (Eastern time).
I'll have my pen & notebook ready!
Can I put you down for.. Wednesday? Good see ya then. Cash or Check fine.
$50 fee if you don't show up for an appointment

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Can I put you down for.. Wednesday? Good see ya then. Cash or Check fine.
With the $100 price drop every hour, you're gonna be on the negative side of the number line by the time next Wednesday comes around. That means you'll be paying me big bucks to listen to your expertise!

Reactions: JDA

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I generally use Regal Tip Jazz wood or EX nylon tips which have the ridges in them. They are getting harder to find and I‘m an endorser, live 10 miles from the factory and drive by the factory once a week. So I’ve been looking for a replacement I like a hickory stick about .500-.550 in. diameter and 16” long. A beefy taper and as heavy as I can get. I’ve tried some Vater, Vic Firth, and Hesdhunters. They are all good but no lacquer(one of the nicest features of the Regal Tips). Anyway I have been using sone Regal Tip 5As for pad work. They are great sticks. If you can get done regal tips try them.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Back on topic:

I found I like my sticks to be around 100 - 110 grams, regardless of size. I like the VF 5Bs a lot, and the lighter ones are within that limit. Unfortunately, their big tip is a bit much for some cymbals - too much wash even at low volumes. For my playing situation (small group jazz) the Vater Manhattan 7A (usually 100 -105 grams) is the best fit so far in playability and sound.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow surprised no one has mentioned their ride cymbal.

I think stick choice has alot to do with what your main ride is and style of music.
Its all personal choice/artistic choice of course

My main ride is a 22" paiste sound creation dark ride.

It "likes" certain sticks to hit it.

My current favorite is the zildjian John Riley model but i take sand paper and whittle down the tips.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like 5As for sound and overall performance, but my hands like slightly bigger sticks, so I end up using mostly SD10 (pointy tip) or sometimes SD9 (a bit more heft, olive-shaped tip) (talking all Vic Firth here). They are thicker as well as longer. 5Bs are nice, too, but the tip is a bit too wide for jazz cymbal sounds, plus they are a tad shorter than the above.

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like thickness but lighter weight with a small tip.
Vic Firth SD2 Bolero.
The maple tips wear down to a nice point, almost like those Carter McLean sticks that were for sale, my ride cymbal loves them.

Latest posts