Stick technique advice for a beginner please.

Oldgitonadrum

Reaction score
Hi again everyone.
Thank you all very much for your advice and suggestions.
I am noticing the common theme of concentrating on my left hand, which many of you have described better than me as being less coordinated rather than necessarily weaker.
So my practice sessions are now split into quarters with the first being left-only singles, left-only doubles and then left-only 5-stroke rolls. I'm keeping the speed well down and stopping as soon as technique slips. It is truly rubbish, and also only manage a few minutes a go so far as it is remarkably fatiguing. With time I'm sure this will really help.
I've tried reversing lead hand in Stick Control exercises too, similar issues. Feels like I'm right back at the start!
Best thing of all though is that you have given me a route forward to working on my hand coordination.
If this thread is still editable in December I will indeed post how things have progressed.
Hugely appreciate your time and generosity of spirit in advising me. Happy drumming to you all. Stay safe.
Best regards, Mark.

footbeat

Reaction score
If you really want to be nerdy, keep a notebook with your daily progress. Keep track of page, exercise number, dynamic and the fastest tempo you can play it at smoothly without tension. You will be able to document your progress so you can see it. It will help motivate you when you can measure your progress.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi JDA and others. Thanks for spending your time and expertise helping me.

Luckily I've been on what I hope is JDAs suggested training regime for five months+ and it seems to work generally.
Have <photo 1> 'THE book'
Have variants of <photos 2-5>
Practice with discipline about 90 mins average six days per week: Stick Control, rudiments and a beginner drum book for kit work - about one third each. Fun drumming is always done as a separate session and doesn't count as practice.
The other thing I've been doing a lot is deliberately leading and/or accenting with the weak hand - tough!

However so far none of this seems to specifically help in any meaningful way with the inconsistency between weak (L) and strong (R) hand. Maybe I just need to persevere? Or are there other methods to target just this area as a priority?

It's frustrating the daylights out me presently. Feels like a big roadblock. I don't mind putting in the work, just want to find an efficient way to work.
Are you familiar with the “open-closed-open“ method (basically slow-fast-slow)? There are different ways to practice stickings and rudiments (ie: with metronome). But, open-closed-open is an essential, fundamental practice method, and an effective way to master technique at every tempo and to help equalize the hands.

Without a metronome, start each exercise very slowly and very gradually increase the tempo until you are playing as fast as you can while maintaining complete relaxation in the hands, wrists fingers. Maintain that tempo for about a minute and then very gradually decrease tempo until you are at the starting tempo.

If you feel any muscle tension, then back off a bit. Practicing technique with muscle tension is counter productive. The goal is to maximize tension free speed and endurance.

footbeat

Reaction score
As Matched Gripper points out, open-closed-open is an "effective way to master technique at every tempo." If you love books as much as I do, there's one that describes in detail the different strokes and techniques used for each rudiment as they are taken from slow, up to fast, and back down to slow: "Rudimental Logic" by Bill Bachman. It is an interesting read, coming from the drum corps point of view, that provides insight into technique. Although it isn't a go to book for me, there are some good exercises in it along with "builder" exercises that isolate different elements of each rudiment.

Twakeshima

Reaction score
Try going through all of your old exercises at a slower tempo if needed and lead with your left hand. Subconsciously this makes your hand want to get louder to match your right. As you start to develop the proper technique to have your left hand lead, you can transition back into right hand lead and you should see some improvements.