Sticks

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
In order of preference :

Regal Tip 2B
Tony Wlliams sigs. from Zildjian
Carmine Appice from Vic Firth

Unfortunately, all three have limited availabillity around here , so whenever possible I buy in bulk . The Long McQuade distribution warehouse in Pickering have 19 prs. of the Regal Tips and they might be the only ones left for a long time before Regal gets its act together . I'm thinking about it ...

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have come to prefer the Vic Firth AJ6. Long thinish taper and small wooden tips make for joyously intricate cymbal work. they're a hair heavy but that kinda helps with the rebound feel and helps compensate for the small tip on the drums.
I have also always liked Regal tip jazz sticks. they are a tad light and only come with nylon tips but if I want nylon...they're the ones!

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Which one did you mean, ( model,size,weight,)
I've got that pair of 5As, one of which I have pictured in my other post. I don't really know about weight, but they're not incredibly heavier than the maple—RTs were never really heavy in my experience. There's also Jazz (which does come in wood, had a pair, although they thicken the tapers on wood these days), 7A (about the tiniest stick out there with all dimensions considered), and the Combos, which are like thick timbale sticks. I don't know what diameter you prefer.

As an academic point, there existed the Silhouette, which I was tracking down one day before I found these Agner S2bs in the shop down the street (the US distributor is up the turnpike in Tulsa). Something like 15 inches by 7/16. Too thin for its own stability; I understand it tends to warp upon itself. I think its legacy lives on in the handles of the wood handled brushes.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the round tip sticks, Vic Firth AS5A and AS5B or the F1...

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Does anyone find that if your like me and just have to use nylon tips for a certain cymbal sound that it's difficult to find a suitable weight of stick but with nylon?
I get why people use them and of course, different strokes for different folks but I have always utterly hated nylon tips on drumsticks. I would rather chance a tip chipping, rendering the stick unusable because the durability trade-off is not worth it. They sound harsh on hats and rides plus they often leave marks on non-coated heads. Wood tips have a more organic and pleasing sound to me. I also get great mileage from sticks without having many that chip at the tip. They usually wear down in the same spot in the middle after a good amount of use, then I put them to the side to give them to a young drummer to practice with. Or I leave some in the band closet at church for whenever sticks are needed.

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I treat wood and nylon like different hardnesses of mallets. I used to be one way or the other, but there's so many colors available with nylon. Plus, if you're covering a tune where the drummer used nylon (like something Paul Leim played on), well... But I'm the guy who would insist on using an Acrolite for a Garth Brooks tune.

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use a basic Vic Firth 5A, but the extended ones (a half inch longer). To me it makes them slightly front heavy, which I like and changes the fulcrum so I'm not holding onto the rear of the stick. Also they give me a fairly small bead for cymbal work. I also use a Vic Firth Bolero once in a while when I want a deep pointed sound from the ride. Believe it ot not, back in the 70's I used a 3S marching stick which was a cymbal eater for sure. I've been slowly going the other way for 35 years now...2B for a while and 5B for a while. In general I don't get too crazy with stick choice. The 5A just happens to work for me. I can't manage a short stick....16" or under, except for that Bolero.

There are a few Bolero style sticks out there by other companies but they don't sound the same as the maple ones.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I get why people use them and of course, different strokes for different folks but I have always utterly hated nylon tips on drumsticks. I would rather chance a tip chipping, rendering the stick unusable because the durability trade-off is not worth it. They sound harsh on hats and rides plus they often leave marks on non-coated heads. Wood tips have a more organic and pleasing sound to me. I also get great mileage from sticks without having many that chip at the tip. They usually wear down in the same spot in the middle after a good amount of use, then I put them to the side to give them to a young drummer to practice with. Or I leave some in the band closet at church for whenever sticks are needed.
I do totally understand what you say about wood tips sounding more organic and nylon ones a bit harsh or tinny, at one point I was the other way round and vice versa. Also maybe my ears arnt picking up subtle sounds as well :blink:

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
What stick does anyone recommend for jazz?
In a general sense 5A and 8A are great for jazz. My favorite is the Vic Firth Peter Erskine Big Band. It has enough mass for a strong tone, but a long taper and narrow tip for fast movement and precision.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Got a bag full of Firth, Vater, and Zildjians; but since I primarily play e-drums at church now, I was having issues trying to overplay the hard rubber pads. One day I was in a local music shop and they had a bucket of sticks for $2-$3 a pair, so I picked up two pair of 2Bs to try, one on wood tip and one in nylon. They are cheap On-Stage "Sticks" brand. They have been my go-to stick for e-drums for the last couple of years. I still play 5As or 5ANs for acoustic drums.
I play a rubber pad e-kit too at jazz band practice. I found a set a sticks I dont care and bought by accident, work great on the rubber pads. Vic Firth Benny Grebs.

drumaniac

DFO Master
Reaction score
To ask questions where there might be a useful answer, for one example.

Even adding something like a genre can help, “what do you like for punk rock”.

Or explaining what you’re curious about, like “What do the number/letter codes on sticks mean” or “how did you pick your stick brand”.

OP is free to ask his wide open question, and I’m free to ask him if that’s useful.
Do you use sticks on your bongos? which genre lol

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Seriously though why are people reacting to my post this way? If you were being sincere I would happily talk about sticks on bongos. It’s a really interesting topic for bongo players. And that’s a great example of a question where the range of answers would be useful to someone interested in trying it.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
American Rock Classics, by Vic, with Vader stick tape. It's the thickest stick I can find, without going to Marching sticks.
I've used 2B, 5B, Danny's, but just too skinny for my hands.
I figured I'd save some $, and get the gloves, but they didn't fit.