Sticks

drumaniac

DFO Master
Reaction score
Seriously though why are people reacting to my post this way? If you were being sincere I would happily talk about sticks on bongos. It’s a really interesting topic for bongo players. And that’s a great example of a question where the range of answers would be useful to someone interested in trying it.
Don't be sensitive, do you use sticks or mallets on bongos?

Rick

Reaction score
I recommend buying in person when possible! There's always some QC with them. But! A good pair of them is a good pair.
This brings up a good point. Like I mentioned before, I use the Vic Firth X5A (1/2" longer 5A basically). I always go to a music store to pick out my sticks. Vic Firth does a nice job with quality control, but I have found that the weight of the sticks varies from one pair to the next. Not with two sticks in a matched pair, but from one matched pair to another. I prefer the lighter weight X5A's. So I bring my current pair into the store and try out different pairs of sticks until I find a pair that are the same weight. It's not a big deal or something I would even notice until I invariably drop a stick and pick up one of the spares. If they are a slightly different weight it feels awkward (unmatched). So I make sure all of my sticks are as close as possible to the same weight. I guess if I really wanted to be precise, I could bring something to weigh them? LOL

Freewill3

Reaction score
Huge difference from maple also Vic Firth SD2's? Are the Agner lighter, finish? what's the differences.
Hey JDA, didn't have the VF SD2's but some other similar sticks, see the pics for the weights. As far as the finish, I'd say they're similar with a light varnish/poly whatever it is.
S2.jpgS3.jpgS4.jpg

Attachments

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Depends on the room/venue but I use sticks by Salyers Percussion (based in Sugar Land, TX)

Main stick I'll use is a 5A but sometimes I'll use a 7A

Tracktuary

Reaction score
Vic Firth PE Rides.

The beefy weight is enough to get some oomph out of the drums, while the smaller, narrower tip keeps cymbals from building up too much.

Many say that "all cymbals sound the same" with these, and that is a valid point. So one just has to choose cymbals that have a greater natural variation in their sound.
So you sold a cymbal that even the PE Ride stick couldn't contain!

Burps

Reaction score
I guess I'll join in. I've been happy with Regal Tip Hickory 8A's, Vater 8A Maple, Vater 5A Maple, Vater 5B Maple, Promark Firegrain Hickory 5A Rebound, Vic Firth Steve Gadd, Vic Firth Bolero SD2, Vic Firth SD11 Slammer, Vic Firth Hickory 5A.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Regarding sizing, I'm usually fine with any brand of 5A or 7A.

Favorite models include:
Vater Manhattan
Vater Sugar Maple Phat Ride
Vater Gospel Series GS5A
Zildjian Louie Bellson Saturn Tip
Zildjian John Blackwell JIA model

(all woodtips)

Occasionally I'll grab the ProMark 5A nylon tips, like last weekend at a large hall (for increased ride definition)

EVLdrummer

Reaction score
Regal 5B wood tip since 1981.
Have you seen the "new" Regal 5B wood tip? They've changed the tip...cut off the very end and widened the neck. It's not as "fast" as the "old" (original) model. They're changing specs to cater to the kids and hard-hitters ! I'll be exchanging mine for the nylon tip ( when they can get them made ). If you want , try the newly re-designed Zildjian 5B...very nice tip and a faster taper, similar in feel to the original Regal 5B.

m_anderson

Reaction score
As do most, I have a plethora of various sticks lying about, (many on the floor). I use signature sticks because I like them, not because of the name. I use VF Dave Weckl and Harvey Mason, often mix these two using the Mason on the snare if I want a fat hard rocking hit, flipping between butt and tip. I use VF Steve Gadd and very happy they started making these with a natural finish. (The black was horrible, but a good stick.) The VF SD4 Combo is a great lighter stick but not too thin. Specialty stick is a VF American Custom SD5 Echo which is great for some latin rhythms. Always have some 7A's on hand, especially if you have floor toms with legs. They are nice sticks, and they fit in the leg hole nicely if you ever forget to pack the tom legs.

All wood tips. I do not like nylon tips.

Targalx

Reaction score
Rock: cheap Guitar Center Sound Percussion 2B wood tips
Jazz: cheap Guitar Center Sound Percussion 7A wood tips

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
What stick does anyone recommend for jazz?
I use the same sticks for every genre that I play. I use whatever is comfortable and I adjust how I play with that stick to play the different genres.
Ditto, but if the band needs a stronger ping, I would move to a similar version with a nylon tip.

Elvis

Latest posts