Sticks

MrYikes

Reaction score
I bought a bunch of maple sticks from china because they are cheap (4 pair for $9) and because I knew I was going to be practicing rim shots (its been so long, I forgot how). I bought 7a but the guy selling them sells the same stick as a 5a also, they are actually a 6a, which was good for me because it makes the switch to 5a less dramatic (I have used 7an all of my life). These china maples are very light weight and make the VF, Promark and Zildjians seem abnormally heavy, though when practicing a solo, I find that I am holding the very end of the stick when I finish. In fact I put rubber bands on the end of the stick just to make sure I didn't let the stick slide out. I've never done that before.
I've got a guitar duo coming over soon and I'll be interested in hearing which stick works best with them. I used Promark 7an with the 25 piece community band.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For me it has always been about the sounds any stick gets out of my ride cymbals more than any other criterion and only small round ball tips on unvarnished sticks give me that mellower tone that suits my ears across a 4 set jazz gig. As mentioned way above, my sticks for that are ProMark Micheal Carvin model.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Jazz:
I don't like thin sticks because of the grip (larger hands), although they might sound good. What I use:
VF SD10 Swinger
Erskine ride stick
Meinl Big Apple Swing <---This one seems like an Erskine ride stick with a bit of the SD10 tip 8more surface).has a nice high ptich due to the dense wood, but not too heavy.

On very washy cymbals I sometimes like the (discontinued?) Pro Mark 11A Joe Morello, or the VF American Jazz 1, because of the thinner neck.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
I was using Vater Sugar Maple Phat Ride sticks for everything but have since downsized to Vater Sugar Maple Sweet Rides for anything but rock. The Phat Ride sticks are almost identical to the old Ayotte Maple Jazz stick, which was my favorite for 15 years or so.
Why did you downsize?

Browny

Reaction score
VF 5Bs.
They feel good in my hands and every drum shop has them in stock so I never get caught out.

gmiller598

Reaction score
Right now I'm using the Innovative Percussion JG-1 James Gadson model and the MG-1 Marcus Gilmore. I just picked up a pair of JR-1 John Robinson model to see how they are.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
VF 5A Wood Double Glaze. Love the tacky feel...

I used Regal Tip Rock nylon sticks from when I started playing in 1972, until 1981, when Vic Firth came into E.U. Wurlitzer to deliver some sticks and mallets we'd ordered and gave me a pair of 5A Wood tip sticks from his new American Classic hickory line. Before that, he only made the American Custom maple sticks. They felt amazing and I was hooked!

That is, until I started working for Zildjian in 1989 and became Product Marketing Manager for Zildjian sticks and had to use Z sticks. Until Zildjian bought Vic Firth in 2010 and I was able to play Vic Firth sticks again! Ha!

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
ProMark 5A Shira Kashi Oaks on a club stage, but often Vic Firth Steve Gadds at rehearsals as I find the shorter length is conducive to slightly lower volume in smaller band practice spaces.

AustinFitz

Reaction score
Currently I'm really liking the Vic Firth American Concept Freestyle 5A. They're 17" in length, and 0.570" in diameter with a long taper. I really like the feel of a longer stick.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wanted to stay with a "common" size, like 5A hickory, but found I wanted just a little more weight to it.
I settled on the ProMark 5AB, which is basically a 5A with a thicker taper.
I've been using nylon tips, since the wood tips usually end up chipping on me.

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Vater Fatback 3A , nylon tip, VH3AN

Latest posts