STILL LOOKING - Ludwig keystone 16x16 Floor tom

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I am looking for a Ludwig KB 16x16 floor tom. I prefer all hardware and in any condition, but if it's only a shell or whatever, please let me know. Color is no issue as I will be stripping it to stain....thanks!

UPDATE 6/20/18 - I found a pristine red sparkle 16x16 for a great price but since it is so nice, I will not be unwrapping it so again I am on the hunt....thanks!

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i have a 16"--3ply shell only, maple interior, black panther wrap, pm me if any interest..........mike

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm not looking for fancy. Depends on the drum. I'd prefer hardware otherwise I have to chase them down. I will strip the drum and paint the inside so unless it's real bad, players are fine......PM me if you have something in mind....thanks.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
FOUND outside DFO - a very nice complete one - in red sparkle. I will be taking off the red and refinishing though.

If anyone needs the wrap, please PM me....thank you.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I hope you got the one off of Ebay tonight. What a deal!

Mike

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yup....fingers crossed it's a 3 ply mahogany outer ply.......but what do I know.......but I think it should be....

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
JazzDrumGuy said:
Yup....fingers crossed it's a 3 ply mahogany outer ply.......but what do I know.......but I think it should be....
I too think it should be. Good luck. You did well on that one.

Mike

Reaction score
doesnt the wrap go into the drum? how will you handle that?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah......good point. I just picked up a pre-serial Jazz Fest with gold sparkle that someone had "removed" and rewrapped in chrome!
They cut the wrap at the seam and you could still barely see the old gold wrap. I was able to stain and cover it up pretty well, though.

I guess I will do the same thing here. I will use a utility blade to cut down the wrap overlap seam and yes, part of the wrap will remain in the wood scarf joint. I don't want to alter the scarf joint simply to remove non-visible wrap (although I guess it will be visible on the bearing edges.........

I will see what happens when I get it. If the drum is as nice as it is pictured, I may just take the hardware off and sell the shell as I don't want to damage the FT and someone may actually need one, and simply then look for a player's shell as I will totally refinish it anyway.....

Reaction score
JazzDrumGuy said:
Yeah......good point. I just picked up a pre-serial Jazz Fest with gold sparkle that someone had "removed" and rewrapped in chrome!
They cut the wrap at the seam and you could still barely see the old gold wrap. I was able to stain and cover it up pretty well, though.
I guess I will do the same thing here. I will use a utility blade to cut down the wrap overlap seam and yes, part of the wrap will remain in the wood scarf joint. I don't want to alter the scarf joint simply to remove non-visible wrap (although I guess it will be visible on the bearing edges.........

I will see what happens when I get it. If the drum is as nice as it is pictured, I may just take the hardware off and sell the shell as I don't want to damage the FT and someone may actually need one, and simply then look for a player's shell as I will totally refinish it anyway.....
please post pix in the vintage forum id like to see the kit done ! thanks and good luck

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ok. I'll post pics of the Jazz Fest snare I mentioned. I just finished it last night and all I need to do is assemble the hardware......
I will show you the seam prior to staining and what it turned out as after it's done.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well I met the guy and picked up my drum tonight. The case is nearly new. The drum looks pristine. I may have to sell the shell because it's simply wrong to take off the beautiful original wrap of this drum.......

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well I met the seller Tues. nite - what a nice guy. The FT is in excellent shape - 9/10. There is no way I am going to unwrap it sadly, so I am AGAIN on the hunt for a 16x16......

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Skrym, I prefer KB 3 ply since I am trying to "match" the existing kit, but I'll look at what you have....thanks. But I don't want the speckled interior.......

sptucker

Reaction score
I have a KB 3 ply 16x16 that I would be willing to sell. I rewrapped it in a modern WMP several years back and just really don't like the wrap. It has all hardware, but I don't believe the legs are original. Painted white interior. Badge dates it to 1967. I can't remember if the outer ply was mahogany or maple...

PM me?

Latest posts