Stock snare wires for a Supra?

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love the sound of my 1998 LM400. I need new wires and want to stay as close to stock as possible. What should I get?

Dan

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
This may sound counterintuitive but I think that Supras sound best with fewer snare wires. This is also the case with Acros and BB's. Either go back with original or keep it at no more than 16 strands.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Surprisingly, Ludwig uses inexpensive 20-strand wires on their snare drums! Even more surprising is that these wires really sound quite good with Supra snare drums! The 20-strand wires can be found at Drumfactorydirect HERE

The pictured wires are incorrect! Look at the SW-1416 (16-strand wires) to see what they actually look like.

The 16-strand wires are actually $1 more! I'm in the process of assembling a Pioneer snare drum for my collection and paid about $10 more just to have the Ludwig L1930 wires. Same wires as the MIT, but with the "Ludwig" script logo. Am I ever going to see the logo? Only when I turn the drum over to look at the wires!!!

There are some great sounding aftermarket wires out there. Only you can decide if you like the sound. I will say that the Canopus Vintage wires are really close to Slingerland's "snappy snares" and I use them on some of my Sound King COB snare drums. They do sound fantastic on them!

-Mark

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There was something about the old school Ludwig wires with the plastic ends, they were 12 strand. I think they used these stock on Supras and Acrolites for awhile. Somebody figured out that these wires were the bomb and now they sell for high dollar on ebay. I wish I had some.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to add this, but the drum will sound much better with Canopus Vintage wires. It will make it grow another butt cheek...in a good way.
I've always been a "whatever" user of wires....until I got some Canopus wires now that's all I use (well 3 of my 6 snares anyways, the 3 I use)

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have Puresounds on my modern cob 14x5 Supra. I love it. It's not as harsh of a tone as I get from the generic snares it came with.

I also have a 14x5 black nickel over brass DW with the same heads and snares and the Supra rings like a bell and is more musical of a snare but can also keep up with heavier music.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This may sound counterintuitive but I think that Supras sound best with fewer snare wires. This is also the case with Acros and BB's. Either go back with original or keep it at no more than 16 strands.
This, this, this. I've tried up 42 strand wires several times over the years, and they always end of choking the reso head. And I've tried the fancy alternatives. But I always end up going back to simple 14 or 16 strand steel Snappy Snares.

I'm thinking that the Supraphonic originally came with 16 strand steel snare wires of the Ludwig brand. A Ludwig expert should be along shortly to confirm or deny that.

GeeDeeEmm

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The stock wires with Ludwig written on them are made in Taiwan and are similar to the Gibraltar wires suggested above. They are crisp and sound great on a Ludwig.
BUT after some experimentation l really enjoy the sound of Puresound's Equalizer 16 strands on my Supra and Hammered Bronze Supra - just terrific ! Still crisp plus added body and "drum" sound. 12 strands will surely work great too. The less wires - the more thickness in the sound. Maybe you'll like to try it...
By the way, any of the more conventional puresound type of wires will work great. Including the Brass wires model which l like and actually sounds Brass-ier[!].
The main point is to understand the difference in sound between plated wires and non plated wires. That will make the biggest overall difference. Puresound are all unplated l think. l hear good things about Canopus wires and they have plated and unplated types of wires. Viable option. My guess is that they will sound airier.
And then there's the strap vs cord mounting... also a factor in the sound but we can leave it for now ; ]

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, asking for the best snares for a Supra I would have also said Canopus, plated for me.

I purposely set up my 400 with generic wires a while ago so I wouldn't feel sorry if I overtightened and stretched them. I think the way Gadd set up his drum in the 70s/early 80s was low batter and high reso with really tight wires.