Stone Temple Pilots Drummer's New Set is Cardboard. Sounds Better Than Bubinga?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
From AdWeek magazine:

A firm called Ernest Packaging Solutions recently tapped both internal talent and a few creative partners to design a functioning, full-fledged drum kit that’s predominantly made of cardboard. To test out its efficacy, the company enlisted the help of Stone Temple Pilots drummer Eric Kretz, who used the opportunity to have a bit of a jam session.

Liquid, the agency behind the activation, said it took over a year for the drum set to be built. Once Ernest’s director of design solutions, Mike Martinez, crafted the cardboard pieces, they were then sent over to LA custom drum manufacturer Masters of Maple, where founder Sahir Hanif put on the finishing touches to bring the set to life.

This isn’t the first time that Ernest has made a product out of cardboard and put it to use; in the past, the brand has created a cardboard skateboard (which none other than Tony Hawk put to the test) as well as a guitar, snowboard and surfboard. The items are all part of Ernest’s “Cardboard Chaos” series, which aims to show off the company’s ingenuity when it comes to packaging solutions.

Article: https://www.adweek.com/creativity/this-cardboard-drum-set-made-by-earnest-packaging-actually-works/

Five-minute video:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The REVENGE of the Rasp era Slingerland builds ...

"No one's ever done this before" ... lack of historical awareness there. Ignorance of history dooms individuals to repeat it.

It was the final build for Slingerland during the Rasp era ... killed 'em.

P1040528.JPG

Last edited:

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
The REVENGE of the Rasp era Slingerland builds ...

"No one's ever done this before" ... lack of historical awareness there. Ignorance of history dooms individuals to repeat it.

It was the final build for Slingerland during the Rasp era ... killed 'em.

Didn't Ludwig do some too?

View attachment 397004

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Did Masters of Maple just use a square palm sander to finish the inside bearing edge on camera? What next a dull Craftsman’s flat screwdriver as a chisel?

How about; “Using shop techniques that would make your Carpentry shop instructor threaten to send you over to small engine repair ...of Maple.”

Last edited:

stevil

Reaction score
Acousticon was more of a paper/woodchip-infused plastic, right? Like Pearl Bakelite shells from the 60s. Seems to me much stronger than epoxy brushed cardboard. That said, this is a neat experiment. I'm not mad at it.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mad?
Nor am I.
It cracked me up ... we were laughing our butts off here ... (not "off", per se ... we checked and they're still very much there)
It's that age old question ... "why"
There have been quite a few cardboard drums built before they took on this one. They probably could have at least done a Google search ... heck, Yahoo would have pointed them to a few hits.
It's a fun little experiment.
It's a terrible business move.
That's the humor I was inserting.

I recall quite a few experiments from Slingerland ... including the Romco fiberglass prototype drums that Marty Rosen built for them. Those were phenomenally good drums ... unfortunately, they never brought them online. He's still got some of them in his shop ... or he did last time I visited.

EDIT ...

Just located this podcast ... not a quick and entertaining one, but it's a pretty cool interview with Marty's son David Rosen. Nice conversation with some details of his music history which includes James Brown and Isaac Hayes ... etc.

Last edited:

stevil

Reaction score
A few years ago in reverb there was a glass drumset. IIRC it was like stave construction. Seemed insane, but I love the weird factor of unusual drums.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Wow his drumming was...bad. How can you tell if they sound good if you just bash the heck out of them. I just don't get it.