Storing your cymbals

drumsdbes

Reaction score
Just curious how people with a variety of cymbals store them? Do you lean them against the wall? Lie them flat? Stack them? Do your store them in cymbal bags? I've acquired many ride cymbals and am trying to figure out best way to store them to keep them safe but not take up a lot of space. Thanks!

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a heavy duty dish holder, like the ones you use when drying dishes.

The cymbals sit vertical in the plate slots. I don't know if it saves a lot of space, but it keeps them organized, easily accessible and separated enough not to scratch each other.

drumsdbes

Reaction score
I use a heavy duty dish holder, like the ones you use when drying dishes.

The cymbals sit vertical in the plate slots. I don't know if it saves a lot of space, but it keeps them organized, easily accessible and separated enough not to scratch each other.
Ah! Great idea! Would make it faster to locate a cymbal. I'll have to try that out!

Vintage Old School

Reaction score
Whoa! Wow! Are those homemade or purchased?
I made those out of scrap birch plywood and poplar I had on hand. I used heat shrink tubing on the center bolt to prevent metal on metal contact with the cymbals being stored.
I've got to give credit where credit is due as I copped the design concept from Mike Johnston's classroom.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I grabbed a Paiste store retail display from Atlanta Percussion. They closed their doors after 40 years, reduced all stock 50-75%...I got the rack for $25....which was 100% profit for them, since Paiste gave it to them free...

Check with local retailers, or drive pass their dumpster every now and then..never know

drumsdbes

Reaction score
I made those out of scrap birch plywood and poplar I had on hand. I used heat shrink tubing on the center bolt to prevent metal on metal contact with the cymbals being stored.
I've got to give credit where credit is due as I copped the design concept from Mike Johnston's classroom.
Oh yeah! It's really nice looking! Unfortunately I'm not that clean/organized (or handy!)...

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have used one Paiste and two Zildjian store display racks for several decades but need more space and would like to replace them with a single tower of some sort. Will be following this thread looking for ideas.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Jeeves, my cymbal valet. No idea where he keeps them, but he handles them with white gloves.

“This evening’s venue shall be without sonic reinforcement, sir. Might I suggest the Raw Bell Dry Ride?”

In all seriousness, I keep them in old, worn bags —-one for rides, one for crashes, and one for hats.

The new bag that’s in good condition is the one in which I take them out.