Storing your cymbals

drumsdbes

Reaction score

GrandfatherOdin

Reaction score

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
I made those out of scrap birch plywood and poplar I had on hand. I used heat shrink tubing on the center bolt to prevent metal on metal contact with the cymbals being stored.
I've got to give credit where credit is due as I copped the design concept from Mike Johnston's classroom.
Funny thing I have planned to duplicate those cymbal stands as well! Haven’t got around to it. But am a carpenter myself and saw those on his YouTube and immediately thought I’ve got to make a few of those!

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have mine in a cheap cymbal bag with no dividers leaned against a wall, but I put old drum heads between them in an endeavor to minimize scratching.

Mine isn't a great system, but I'm not a collector and never intended to own more cymbals than I have stands for. I need to sell some cymbals . . .

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cymbals I'm not currently using are in an old, cheap cymbal bag leaning against a wall in my drum room:

IMG_0807_S.jpg

The cymbal outside of the bag is my 22" K Heavy Ride, which I frequently swap for the 22" K Ride that's on my kit at the moment.

Dtucci

Reaction score
I never thought about it much until seeing this thread. I have 3 sets of gigging cymbals in SKB roto-x hard cases then all of the rest in an assortment of other hard and soft cases. They all lay flat.
Side bar: Does it make anyone else angry when you see a “Cymbal for Sale” ad and the thing is sitting on its edge on concrete or asphalt?

Pibroch

Reaction score
My 18 large cymbals are in 2 vertical stacks leaned up on wall behind kit. That way I can roll them along the floor from one stack to the other in order to access inner ones - all while seated on throne. Splashes and hats are in 2 easily reachable backpacks.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an old drum rug making an "L" shape against the floor / wall (attached to the wall via 3M "Contact" velcro strips), with the cymbals leaning up against the rug.

mewing

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine number about 240, and are on slatwall with cymbal arms, a homemade rolling rack (mostly cheaper cymbals), complete sets in cases, and of course...on the kits! The support under the cymbals in the rack is metal conduit (for strength) inside plastic conduit (to protect the cymbal edges). The spread is wider at the back and narrows toward the front.

Attachments

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mine number about 240, and are on slatwall with cymbal arms, a homemade rolling rack (mostly cheaper cymbals), complete sets in cases, and of course...on the kits! The support under the cymbals in the rack is metal conduit (for strength) inside plastic conduit (to protect the cymbal edges). The spread is wider at the back and narrows toward the front.
I only have about 60. If I had 240 it would take me all day to figure out which pies to bring to a particular gig. My lawn would be out of control.

mewing

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only have about 60. If I had 240 it would take me all day to figure out which pies to bring to a particular gig. My lawn would be out of control.
It's a good thing and a bad thing for that exact reason. 22 kits causes me the same dilemma with drum selection for a gig! I have it down to two that I use most often, but the others get a chance too.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
I've got two hard cases for the stuff that I use, and a bag for the ones that I don't use anymore but really like and want to keep around just in case.

Phildrummer

Reaction score
It looks like I'm the only one to lay them flat on a shelf within a cymbal bag. Is that a bad thing?

richiegarcia4

Reaction score
I share a small studio with others, so mine are always in a cymbal bag leaning against the wall.

drumsdbes

Reaction score
It looks like I'm the only one to lay them flat on a shelf within a cymbal bag. Is that a bad thing?
I don't think it's a bad thing... while I don't have 240 cymbals, I've collected enough that they were all over the place or stacked such that it was a pain to locate a particular cymbal. I've seen some great ideas for storing and accessibility.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had mine in a COSCO Gorilla-Rack fitted with dividers according to the cymbal size. Cymbals were stood on edge on top of thick treated leather to protect their edges. Once the Gorilla Rack was assembled it was then welded and large casters added. I've decided to keep about two dozen cymbals and have sold off the rest. I'm gonna be down to my last and only kit. Everything else has been sold off except my YMCAs.

Attachments

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is what I built out of poplar 1x stock. Top left holds hats & smaller effect cymbals, top right is designed for 16”-18”, bottom left is for 22”-24” and bottom right is 18”-20”. There’s a bit of wiggle room in each. The whole thing is 4’ wide, if I built another I’d make it maybe 1/2-2/3 as wide.

367A01CA-76BD-4898-A8A5-B634913A528B.jpeg