Strainer issues/recommendations

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
So, anyone got any tips/advice/recommendations for the following issue:

Have an absolutely beautiful sounding mid-60's 5.5x14" Premier ex. Royal Ace snare (it's ex royal ace as the parallel strainer was broken, and since removed).
Put a conventional gibraltar strainer and wires on it, which worked fine for about 15 years, however now the wires are creating a buzz I can't trace or get rid of.
To try and remedy, have cut a very shallow snare bed in (<1mm) as being originally a parallel action drum it didn't have one. This hasn't cured the problem, nor made it any worse either to be fair.

The only things I can think of now is to get the edges recut (although they look fine) and put a better strainer and higher quality wires on it? Any recommendations??

Have been using mainly a `70's Mahogony shell 2001 (which is no hardship at all) in lieu of not being able to use the older one, but really want to get this drum usable again as it is a very sweet sounding snare (3ply birch with beech rings).

Any advice from you knowledgeable folks much appreciated!!

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
I’m not sure what the hole spacing is like on that baby, but INDe makes a very nice universal strainer and butt that both have a lot of leeway in size. They both have tracks with bolts that slide up/down back/forth so they can fit a wide range of holes. If it’s got ‘normal’ 2 vertical holes for the throw and 2 horizontal for the butt, the INDe will likely work.

I’ve had great results with the German wires from drum factory direct. If you want to spend more, the Canopus wires are probably the most raved about.

On any snare with weird snare buzz, I’d try radically different tuning. If you’re using a super-tight snare side / medium-tight batter, maybe try drastically lowering the snare side and compensate by tightening the batter. Maybe it’s gone a bit out of round over the years? Heads still seating fine, even spacing around the edges and all that? Sits flat on its bearing edges?

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
I’m not sure what the hole spacing is like on that baby, but INDe makes a very nice universal strainer and butt that both have a lot of leeway in size. They both have tracks with bolts that slide up/down back/forth so they can fit a wide range of holes. If it’s got ‘normal’ 2 vertical holes for the throw and 2 horizontal for the butt, the INDe will likely work.

I’ve had great results with the German wires from drum factory direct. If you want to spend more, the Canopus wires are probably the most raved about.

On any snare with weird snare buzz, I’d try radically different tuning. If you’re using a super-tight snare side / medium-tight batter, maybe try drastically lowering the snare side and compensate by tightening the batter. Maybe it’s gone a bit out of round over the years? Heads still seating fine, even spacing around the edges and all that? Sits flat on its bearing edges?
Nice, thank you for that info. Have heard some good things about INDe parts.
Yes sorry forgot to add - have tried different tunings, detuned lugs closest to strainer/butt, taken wires off other drums to see how they went, tried cord vs strap, no joy!! :( Just can't kill the buzz!
To the naked eye possibly ever so slightly out of round (don't have the tools - or mathematical ability, I can count to 4 though, sometimes even 6! - to properly confirm). It's 55 years old and 3 ply, also haven't used it for several years due to the bloody buzz so has just been sitting there, so all the triggers for warp are there, still tunes and sounds great (with snare off) though.
Edges are fine, tunes up nice and easy. Heads seat flat.
Am thinking new strainer and wires first up. If that doesn't cure it will get it on sanding table to ensure it's dead flat and then then get edges recut. This was the first snare to blow my mind (until the original strainer called it quits) back in the mid-90's as a teenager, so really hoping to salvage this!

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It has been suggested that Ludwig C1114 Weather Master 14" Clear Extra-Thin Resonant Side Snare Drum Head, because of the collar depth, will sit better on drums with parallel strainers. Even if yours is no longer "parallel" maybe the combo will help. I also like the German wires from drum factory direct & am dying to those INDE strainers.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can measure across the lugs to see if it is in round, or you can take all hardware off and roll it on the ground - it will wobble if out of round.....

markdrum

Reaction score
One quick check for roundness. Lay a 14" hi-hat cymbal on top of the bearing edge and see how evenly the edges match up. Cymbals tend to be reasonably precise as to their diameters. I've found a couple of out of round shells like this. I can definitely vouch for the INDe replacement strainers. I've been using them since they first came out with no problems whatsoever! INDe's snare drums are great as well.

You might want to try the Remo Ambassador no-collar snare side heads. I think that the stock number is 0314-TD. Having no collar forces the head to conform completely to the resonant side bearing edge. I've used these on a couple of older snares with good results. A brand set of snares might help as well.

Last edited:

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
try a new set of wires perhaps (did I miss someone else saying that)...perhaps the old snare wires are spent.

jaymandude

Reaction score
Question. Not an accusation. Do you know how to cut a snare bed ? Even an extremely shallow 1mm one ? A good one will likely make a difference

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
Question. Not an accusation. Do you know how to cut a snare bed ? Even an extremely shallow 1mm one ? A good one will likely make a difference
That's why it's extremely shallow! Used a sanding block cut to the right size and 120 grit, up/down very carefully. There's room to take more off professionally, but will try strainer and wire upgrades first. Probably should have done that first, but at the same time, these never had beds cut in being a parallel action originally, and it will stay with a conventional strainer.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
Since you brought up wires, I will tell you on the recommend of Bill Stewart, I switched all over to Canopus Vintage Wires. After having used wires from every manufacture, including many from Puresound, I can attest that Canopus wires are the only wires that I found never buzz. And if they do on you, a simple detune between the two lugs around the butt solves it.

Latest posts