Strainer on Jazzfest pops open

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
The strainer on my jazzfest is starting to go..the rivet inside is starting to wobble and it becomes hard to close. I have to get my fingers in there to stabilize it before switching it on..it also will pop open when I start to hit it harder..can this be fixed? Or, is it time? I was just thinking of putting a small tie wrap on it and keeping it closed as I rarely use it with the wires off..

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a common problem on Slingerland snares with the rapid throw off used throughout the 50's to 70's. In that situation a gum rubber grommet eventually fails to grip the center adjusting shaft or falls off. There are some recent threads on this topic. I'd try using such a grommet on the Ludwig throw off center shaft. I've even used a piece of rubber hose to provide some friction on the threaded shaft. I tried both positions on mine and only the top one helped. Might work for you.

best 1.jpg

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a common problem on Slingerland snares with the rapid throw off used throughout the 50's to 70's. In that situation a gum rubber grommet eventually fails to grip the center adjusting shaft or falls off. There are some recent threads on this topic. I'd try using such a grommet on the Ludwig throw off center shaft. I've even used a piece of rubber hose to provide some friction on the threaded shaft. I tried both positions on mine and only the top one helped. Might work for you.

View attachment 412326
I know exactly what you are saying, but I don't think that is the OP's problem. His problem is the result of worn metal parts. I had a Ludwig snare throw with the exact same problem. A person with very good mechanical skills and access to the necessary parts can repair it, but as cheap (and better) as replacements are, I would be much more inclined to simply replace the throw. Naturally, you will want to keep the original.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know exactly what you are saying, but I don't think that is the OP's problem. His problem is the result of worn metal parts. I had a Ludwig snare throw with the exact same problem. A person with very good mechanical skills and access to the necessary parts can repair it, but as cheap (and better) as replacements are, I would be much more inclined to simply replace the throw. Naturally, you will want to keep the original.
this is the thing..I was hoping to some how fix it to keep it all original..but, I kinda figured it was on it's way out..so the new ones have the same hole spacing?

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good machine shop might be able to tighten up that rivet. I am lucky that I deal with a good machine shop in my day job, and those guys have helped me with a number of drum things.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
There's always the rubber band trick. I used to use that on an old Pioneer that would pop off......
Not a Ludwig throw off, but you’ll get the idea.
image.jpg

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know the issue with these Ludwig strainers. Due to the way the parts are attached to the large back plate, they can become loose and even fall apart. Sometimes these parts can be peened from the back, to flatten some of the exposed metal flange and get a tighter fit. Other times, they can't be repaired and a new strainer is called for. If possible, the OP should take off the strainer and get a good look at the issue, then report back, possibly with some pictures.
-Mark

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
this is the thing..I was hoping to some how fix it to keep it all original..but, I kinda figured it was on it's way out..so the new ones have the same hole spacing?
Yes, the new ones do have the same hole spacing. You might consider using a p86 throw which also has the same hole spacing but looks nicer on a vintage drum than the newest version of the p85. Of course, as mentioned above, hang on to the original.