Strange Ebay Response to My Asking A Seller A Question

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I "made an offer" on a cymbal. It was declined with no counter offer. So I was going to ask the seller if they had a counter offer. I get a message that I've never seen before.

BUYER REQUIREMENTS
Sorry, the seller is not accepting bids or offers from you at this time. This may occur for various reasons. For example, the seller might have a limit for the amount of items that can be purchased within a given time.

I ask...what the hell? And true, I could NOT make a second higher offer when I tried. And believe me, my first and second offers are extremely high compared to the selling price. I pretty much was making offers that split the shipping cost.
Now I'm curious if the seller would refuse to ship it to me if I simply bought it at full price.

Anyone dealt with this message before?

Stretch

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
New one to me. Never heard of that.

But, I wish whoever writes copy for ebay and dozens of other companies would learn the simple rules of the English language:

". . . the seller might have a limit for the amount of items that can be purchased . . . . "

Even the simple version of Grammarly (FREE!) notes that the word should be "number" - not "amount." Grrrrrrr. . . .

GeeDeeEmm

Reactions: CSR

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is the message generated by eBay or does it look like something that the Seller put together?
If it's an eBay message they probably now have an option for sellers to opt into auto sending that message out upon somebody making an offer.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Perhaps he excluded you which is something I do on eBay to anyone I may have had a run in with. This keeps, or I should say limits, them from any retaliatory measures.

Last edited:

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't believe I've EVER dealt with this seller before.
Some people are funny and you never know what perceived thing they take offense to.

I do know that if you add someone to your Exclusion list they can not buy, bid, offer or message you anything.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've seen that canned message a number of times on Ebay from more than one seller. I eventually figured it meant that the seller was not set up to accept offers....or just wasn't around to monitor them ever. There may be some seller selection when setting up the listing where just don't want to see offers....as your asking price is what you intend to get. Ebay handles all the communications for them. In some cases all the seller wants to do is wait until an item is bought and then ship. They want nothing to do with anything else. In some cases the seller inadvertently forgets to remove the "accept offer" portion and Ebay defaults it as active for them. The seller was never expecting offers and won't monitor or respond to them. They don't even want to reply to messages of any sort ......until you buy the item. I call those "absent" sellers.

Just because there's a "make an offer" selection doesn't mean the buyer wanted that. Sometimes Ebay puts it in for them. Don't sweat it. Make an offer. If you don't get a proper or live response just move on. Not worth worrying about. It's just like CL. Many sellers just won't respond to a message....they might not even see that you sent one. Happens all the time. Move on.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Best offer was in the auction... lets see the (auction) link
Let's see a little other side of the story (lol
if we're going to make this a federal (forumable?) case.. ; 0
I want to see what you were making the offer on

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He probably should not be listing items and allowing offers if that's how he's going to be about it.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Could be that he’s in Kentucky and doesn’t want to ship to California.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I could also be that he changed the auction somehow, and thus the automatically-generated message.
Or...how is your feedback rating? I don't accept offers from negative feedback or non-pay bidders.

Latest posts