Strange Ebay Response to My Asking A Seller A Question

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
That seller is right down the road from me. If you really want it , I could buy it for you and ship it to you.
Thanks, but it's not necessary. It was an impulse buy. I already own the same ride as a 21" size. I should stick with the 21" and not consider the 20". So by denying my first offer it was ok; I saved a couple of hundred bucks.

Stretch

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cymbal looks in nice shape
Yes it does.
I already own the 21" version, buying this 20" was just to have a backup. Do I need it? Nope. What I NEED to do is settle for the 21" [which is a wonderful ride that I used exclusively from 1985-2009, then sold; recently bought one back].

Stretch

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
If your offer was to pay less for shipping, he may have simply refused further offers. There could be a limit placed on offers, and your having placed 2 offers already, you may only be able to use the stated buy it now and shipping costs.

If you are able to buy it now and pay the stated shipping costs on the seller's terms, it would be expected that the seller would certainly ship it to you.

On the other hand the seller may have blocked you from buying anything from him/her, for any reason they deem fit. The only way to find out about THAT would be to contact the seller and ask.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
So, some people put Best Offer in their auction...and expect (what..) someone to offer " 3 or 4" dollars less. Ok. (that's this guy I assume) He may have...may have gone 15$ less...
Other times ( like with an old K 20 sitting at 1200 with a bo) a b/o will take 3-400 off..

Have to say in sellers defense (of which he has none. He included the B/O in his auction) (and should have expected and handled the offer better) it's not priced high.
This seller needed to be handled with kid gloves...touchy..Paiste Signature alloy touchy...(but who knew?....

Last edited:

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
If your offer was to pay less for shipping, he may have simply refused further offers. There could be a limit placed on offers, and your having placed 2 offers already, you may only be able to use the stated buy it now and shipping costs.

If you are able to buy it now and pay the stated shipping costs on the seller's terms, it would be expected that the seller would certainly ship it to you.

On the other hand the seller may have blocked you from buying anything from him/her, for any reason they deem fit. The only way to find out about THAT would be to contact the seller and ask.
I was only able to make one offer, which was denied without the seller offering a counter offer.
When I TRIED to make a second offer that was almost the asking price it gave me the message.
So I TRIED to contact the seller and it wouldn't occur. Seller was refusing to let me ask a question about the listing. So no, I couldn't contact the seller.

Stretch

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
So, some people put Best Offer in their auction...and expect (what..) someone to offer " 3 or 4" dollars less. Ok. (that's this guy I assume) He may have...may have gone 15$ less...
Other times ( like with an old K 20 sitting at 1200 with a bo) a b/o will take 3-400 off..

Have to say in sellers defense (of which he has none. He included the B/O in his auction) (and should have expected and handled the offer better) it's not priced high.
This seller needed to be handled with kid gloves...touchy..Paiste Signature alloy touchy...(but who knew?....
I agree, some sellers post Make An Offer option but don't really allow lower offers. Amateurs...
I also agree with you that at $199.99 plus $30 shipping it's not priced high. I would have paid that. BUT, when a seller gives the choice to try and buy it for less, why not try? So I did but got some kind of door shut in my face!
It's all good. Like I stated above, I have a 21" version that does the job nicely.

Stretch

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I could also be that he changed the auction somehow, and thus the automatically-generated message.
Or...how is your feedback rating? I don't accept offers from negative feedback or non-pay bidders.
I agree with this. Sometimes I've listed without knowing "Make an offer" was an option. Next thing I know, someone is making an offer. I declined (the offer was wayyyy low) and changed the setting.

There you go. No drama intended.

NewBeat

Reaction score
If he blocked you, but only after your initial offer, then he must not have been happy with what he was seeing. While some sellers may take offers, they have no patience for lowball offers, especially a repeated pattern of lowballs.

Or you've had dealings in the past, possibly under a different seller handle. But in that case, you'd most likely have already been blocked.

Or perhaps he made a mistake & meant to block someone else.

In any event, I doubt eBay would be of help, as I've never heard of them interfering with a block request. Maybe try purchasing through a third party; otherwise, move on.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Did you try the "buy it now" button? Curious whether you would be locked out from that?

If this was a 20" K or even a 2002 I would hit the "make offer" button to see what happened, But I don't want to be on the hook for this cymbal if for some reason he accepted my offer.

Does look like a good deal though...

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks, but it's not necessary. It was an impulse buy. I already own the same ride as a 21" size. I should stick with the 21" and not consider the 20". So by denying my first offer it was ok; I saved a couple of hundred bucks.

Stretch
Okay, no prob... just trying to reciprocate a favor that was done for me years ago by a member of the forum.

Frank Godiva

Reaction score
New one to me. Never heard of that.

But, I wish whoever writes copy for ebay and dozens of other companies would learn the simple rules of the English language:

". . . the seller might have a limit for the amount of items that can be purchased . . . . "

Even the simple version of Grammarly (FREE!) notes that the word should be "number" - not "amount." Grrrrrrr. . . .

GeeDeeEmm
Kinda like "Be Best"
Is that grammatically correct?

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
New one to me. Never heard of that.

But, I wish whoever writes copy for ebay and dozens of other companies would learn the simple rules of the English language:

". . . the seller might have a limit for the amount of items that can be purchased . . . . "

Even the simple version of Grammarly (FREE!) notes that the word should be "number" - not "amount." Grrrrrrr. . . .

GeeDeeEmm

“I couldn’t believe the amount of people there!”

“Really? How many pounds?”

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
The seller made you want it more by not letting you have it. It’s the Trick of the Velvet Rope. You don’t even want to go to a place until they tell you might not get in. FOMO!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I agree, some sellers post Make An Offer option but don't really allow lower offers. Amateurs...
I also agree with you that at $199.99 plus $30 shipping it's not priced high. I would have paid that. BUT, when a seller gives the choice to try and buy it for less, why not try? So I did but got some kind of door shut in my face!
It's all good. Like I stated above, I have a 21" version that does the job nicely.

Stretch
I'm thinking it could be they weren't aware of the "Make Offer" tag, or they changed their mind after posting the ad, but never bothered to change it.....probably too busy playing online video games.
Typical teenaged work ethic.

flurbs

Reaction score
I already own the same ride as a 21" size. I should stick with the 21" and not consider the 20".
This is the correct answer. You should only ever go larger.

FWIW, it's an automated ebay message because he's blocked you as a buyer because he didn't like your offer. This is either a) because he's a snowflake as suggested elsewhere; or b) eBay is doing all sorts of strange stuff behind the scenes at the moment and it's entirely likely he listed it as a BIN without offers. eBay enabled the offers and when yours came in he was WTF and blocked the 'error' (you). It's not a great reaction but he's a seller with 3700+ 100% feedback and you don't get that without a bit of effort. My money is on (b), he wants the BIN and is ignoring anything lower while ebay does its worst at "improving the user experience".

Furious Styles

Reaction score
I agree with this. Sometimes I've listed without knowing "Make an offer" was an option. Next thing I know, someone is making an offer. I declined (the offer was wayyyy low) and changed the setting.

There you go. No drama intended.
I don't use the mobile app to list items for that reason. I've had items listed at one price buy it now with no "make an offer" option, revised the price and eBay sneaks in the "make an offer" for the revised listing.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember years back when I was active selling on eBay. There some click boxes near the end of setting up an auction.
One was limiting the number of items a buyer could buy from you,just like the message you received.
Not sure why someone would want to limit the items a person buys.

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was only able to make one offer, which was denied without the seller offering a counter offer.
When I TRIED to make a second offer that was almost the asking price it gave me the message.
So I TRIED to contact the seller and it wouldn't occur. Seller was refusing to let me ask a question about the listing. So no, I couldn't contact the seller.

Stretch
I used to sell quite a bit, and I almost never made a counteroffer. That being said it appears that this seller may have blocked you for some reason or another.