header.nohb.html

Strange overtone or vibration coming from hi hat

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s driving me nuts - hi hats are Sabian Monarch 14” from their Big and Ugly line, and the stand is a Ludwig 400 series. Certainly not the highest lines, but not shabby and decent enough gear. I am getting either a very weird overtone, or an unexplained vibration when playing. The “sound” is more prominent the closer I move towards the bell. I play on the tops only of the hi hat and use all areas of the top surface, from the edge to the bell. My sweet spot is about 1/4 way in from the edge and this is where this problem starts. The sound is an annoying, almost echo which I first thought was a vibration but I’m really not sure now after trying to trouble shoot this. I don’t notice it as much right at the outer edge. I know it’s hard to understand without actually hearing this, but any ideas? Could it be the cymbal? I removed each hat and put them each on a cymbal stand to try and find this overtone (if that’s what it is), and they sound fine. Maybe the clutch? Do you players tighten the clutch nut all the way as tight as you can (by finger), or do you just snug it up only? I have felts on both sides of the cymbal. These are the only hats I have so can’t try another set to see if the problem is in the cymbals. Ant help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you only have the one set of hats and one stand to work with, you need to find a way to isolate which one is making the noise. Maybe if you have a clamp on cymbal stand, like a lot of people use for a splash, you could try mounting it of the upper tube of the high hat stand to “muffle” any vibrations from that source. You could also try placing a crash or ride on the stand and playing it to see if you still get the sound that is bothering you

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
you may have to resort to pieces of tape... i never buy hihats without playing them first, because some pairs produce a "hing" sound at every hit, no matter the foot pressure/strike location

it is especially noticeable when recording, as it takes over EVERY recording with the same harmonic note throughout, and can't be EQ'd out

if tape doesn't do it, a different top or bottom cymbal is the only fix

mebeatee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 13” Zildjian New Beat top hat cymbal that has a weird little ring when paired with any one of a few 13” bottoms I have.
I bought the (new beat) pair many moons ago when I was using two 13” bottoms as a pair....a quick beat for the bottom and the new beat bottom for the top...playing reggae and funk for the most part.
It....the ring....never bothered me even in the store, as I wanted the bottom mostly. The top was a bonus as I used that cymbal as a very nice large splash/small crash so all went well....and have never used that cymbal for any hats ever.
The moral of the story.....buy more cymbals....;)
bt

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and suggestions all. I did find it to be the hats. My son brought over his hats and stand and we found this problem to be in the hats. These hats had the same ring on his stand, and his hats sounded perfect on my stand. Luckily, these hats were just purchased and still inside the return period. They are going back tomorrow for a different set. This is what I get for buying without trying first!

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
While apparently not the problem you experienced, all sets of hats give off some odd metallic "twangs" or echoes when played just slightly open. And if you listen only for that it will drive
you nuts. I tried about 8 different pairs of vintage Zildjian hats and every one of them did it. Just don't stay too long at the "barely cracked open" stage. It's a sonic issue that appears when
bringing a pair of hi hat cymbals in close contact with each other. Doesn't matter where the stick hits either.