Strange wrap on this vintage Ludwig on CL

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never seen anything like it, but I'm not a Ludwig expert by any means. Strange combination of wraps.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's a cool combination.

Ludwig offered a Multi Sparkle option in the 60's and 70's where you would combine any two of their wraps to make custom color combinations.

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 3.38.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 3.46.56 PM.png

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lot's of marching drums with that trim style.

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think K. O. got it as usual. 18" bass drum though.....It looks like Dino has duel tone controls on his.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These were often ordered for schools, in the school colours. I've never seen champagne and black, but very cool. Also, 18, 16, 13 is a pretty strange size combo (I'd expect a 12 & 14 with that 18 kick).

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Lane, I saw that this morning and was curious about the spurs on the 18. Did 18s come with dual spurs?
I'm not sure. I've never had an 18" ludwig bass before, but something doesnt seem right with these . As mentioned weird sizes 18" with a 13 and 16. These drums are about 140 miles away, so I don't think I'll be heading that way just to look them over.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
" Please feel free to ask questions "

yes there'd be a few..

Possible School Band Room set?
````````````````````

Just about worst color I've ever seen.

don't have a speck of dust on them

no one wanted to be seen in public with them? just kidding

16X18 or 14X18 eyeballs?

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
That wrap combination would have most certainly been a special order so a pretty minor deal to tack on an extra set of spurs to the order. That was a relatively commonly selected "option" back then.

I think the school set idea seems very possible. Those might be the school colors and match with their marching drums ( a more typical use of the tri-band finish) or maybe it was an idea to make them super readily identifiable to dissuade thievery...or so odd that no one would want to steal them. That could also explain the odd size combination, maybe getting a smaller bass drum to keep things lower for smaller Jr. High aged drummers.

One thing for certain...a set like this doesn't just happen by accident.

Saladdaze

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree on the school set theory, but man are they in good shape if they’d spent any amount of time in a school band room. Those drums are usually beat to you-know-what in a few short years. The mystery continues...