Strap drive pedals, what's out there?

44Ronin

Reaction score
It seems to me that strap drive pedals have the smoothest, most natural feel.

Kinda like the footboards hug and follow your heel much better than chains? Had similar experience in DD pedals, but they are more 'floaty' and not as powerful.

What strap drive pedals have you used, and recommend? Anyone try the new gibraltar 4711ST?

A store near me had the discontinued gibraltar intruder strap drive pedal, it was great, amazing feel with no adjustments.

Corsair

Reaction score
I highly recommend the Sonor Perfect Balance pedal. Real smooth, great feel under the foot and so controllable.

theneonguy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to have one of those, back in the caveman daze. Had a kit made of walrus tusks and bear skins too. No, strap drives went out with hula hoops and pet rocks, IMO. What's happened is prolly you got used to the pedal, and a more advanced one, paradoxically, does nothing for you. Go with a modern design for a while, and get used to that. Then when you go back to the strap, it too will feel strange, and clunky, slow, and not so great after all. It's going to take a little time, though, to get acclimated. It's just a matter of perception. Life is full of contradictions. Don't be fooled.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
theneonguy said:
I used to have one of those, back in the caveman daze. Had a kit made of walrus tusks and bear skins too. No, strap drives went out with hula hoops and pet rocks, IMO. What's happened is prolly you got used to the pedal, and a more advanced one, paradoxically, does nothing for you. Go with a modern design for a while, and get used to that. Then when you go back to the strap, it too will feel strange, and clunky, slow, and not so great after all. It's going to take a little time, though, to get acclimated. It's just a matter of perception. Life is full of contradictions. Don't be fooled.
Got to disagree here. Yamaha makes a very nice strap drive pedal (I can't remember the model off hand). Smooth, quiet, fast - best pedal I've seen from them in a long time. I have an old DW strap drive pedal I have been using for more than 15 years, and it's every bit as smooth as any chain drive I've ever played. Not sure if DW still makes a strap drive pedal anymore, but the Yamaha is definitely worth checking out, IMO. Good luck.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
There is more friction and noise associated with a chain and sprocket than with a nylon or similar strap. Almost every current pedal out there today is based on the Martin FleetFoot from the 30's or 40's which had a leather strap. This design was sold to Camco who also made the Gretsch Floating Action pedal. The DW pedal bears it linage directly to the FleetFoot since DW bought out Camco along with Tama.

A chain with a felt lined cam instead of a sprocket will feel smoother and closer to a nyon strap pedal so you might give those a look too.

DW still offers a nylon strap version of some of their their pedals.

http://store.dwdrums.com/p/6000-series-nylon?pp=10

tomo221

Reaction score
Eliminator P2000B and Perfect Balance come stock with straps. Mapex Falcon and Yamaha 9500C series comes with a strap option. All great options.

OZjazzer

Reaction score
JDA said:
DW still makes it beefed a bit and renamed 6000
right?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/dw-6000-series-nylon-strap-single-kick-drum-pedal
and about double in price as once was..
They do--bought a new 5000N---last near forever tho.
think it's going on 30 never a prob/ pfft
have a speedking beater it- Overall trusty as the day it was bot ymmv
Yes Joe the DW 6000 is a great lightweight, foldable pedal. The Pearl 120 is really nice too. But it's heavy so mine stays in the practice room.
Straps feel nicer than chains to me. But anything feel better than a Speed King I had in a previous life but that's another story

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
Just picked up a Perfect Balance pedal and love the way it feels under foot. Also really like how it folds up for gigging purposes. Ive been a DW pedal user for the last 30 years and still play a 9002 pedal.

D

dmacc

Yamaha FP8500B. Love these! Simple, lightweight, long footboard and smooth as silk. Strap pedals are all I care to use.

R

RickP

I have no chain pedals, that I gig with these days. I go between a Sonor Perfect Balance pedal (strap) and an Axis A21 direct drive pedal. The Sonor PB pedal is my favourite. It is extremely smooth, quick, the folding feature is really convenient as well. I love the round cam feeling more than the Accelerator cam too. I have owned DW 5000 and DW chain pedals and really wanted to like them but they felt too heavy to me.

1up2dn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
44Ronin said:
It seems to me that strap drive pedals have the smoothest, most natural feel.

Kinda like the footboards hug and follow your heel much better than chains? Had similar experience in DD pedals, but they are more 'floaty' and not as powerful.

What strap drive pedals have you used, and recommend? Anyone try the new gibraltar 4711ST?

A store near me had the discontinued gibraltar intruder strap drive pedal, it was great, amazing feel with no adjustments.
i have the older model of the 4711...same thing but with the old footboard design...

i paid 27 bucks for it new at a GC sale...this is my favorite pedal because of its speed, simplicity, and lightweight... the simple lightweight parts on the axle, and the lightweight strap which really reduce the flywheel effect... compared to all that extra weight on the axle on many pedals which end up making them feel heavy/sluggish (like my IC chain drive pedal)

wcbrown

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Started out with the chain drive ELIMINATOR retro-fit the strap a few years ago and haven't looked back. The overall linear smoothness of the strap vs. the chain to me anyway, is noticeable.

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am currently playing older Yamaha strap drives. 700 and 900 series. Great feel and good power. $25 each.

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
I use a pair of the bottom line Yamaha 6110 strap drive pedals & can't complain a bit considering the price range. I did upgrade the folded felt beaters - that's it!

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DW 5000 Strap drive (Gigged almost weekly for 15 years) still on original Strap.

No chain drive pedals for me (3 x DW Strap drive) and a Yamaha Flying dragon Direct Drive Double, which is great but takes some getting used to in comparison.

Would love if DW still made a 5000 Delta in Strap drive but I'm sure a conversion kit is available?

Cheers
Mick