Stripping lacquer for dye job

tlcase

Reaction score
Greetings,

Long time listener, first time caller. I recently picked up this 18x14 DW Performance series orphan. I currently own a DW Collector's series in Emerald Satin Oil and I'd like to to attempt to finish this drum to get as close as I can to my DW kit's finish. I'm wondering what the best way to strip the lacquer off this shell and hoops would be? I have some experience finishing raw shells, but have never had to strip an existing finish. Any ideas? I have some Keda wood dye powders that I've been able to mix and come very close to the DW finish on some scrap maple and plan to wipe on a few coats of tung oil after applying the dye. My first thought was some furniture refinisher and some fine steel wool. I've also seen mention of Citrustrip. Other's have mentioned lacquer thinner. Looking for some guidance in the appropriate direction. Thanks!

\
DW Performance.jpg

DW Emerald (2).jpg

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
The problem I've had is once painted or finished (lacquer) it's hard to get the wood back down raw enough to take a dye evenly. I have had pretty good luck using Metalcast paint (Comes in green too) rattle can. It's been to be used over chromed metal, but when used on wood goes on semi-transparent, very much like a stain or dye but much easier to get a uniformed finish. You can then apply clear over it.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Outer ply likely to be pretty thin. Sanding enough to get all the penetrated lacquer out can damage the ply. Be careful.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Personally, I would just add a maple veneer over the existing finish and do your finish on that! Cool project, let us know what you decide and good luck.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I like the veneer idea. I'd buy some tranaparent green film and wrap the drum and if it looked good, poly right over that. If done right, people wouldn't tell, it would be reversible, and it would be cheap, easy and fast. If you like it, then contemplate sanding down and getting messy.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That sounds like a tricky project. The color matching especially. I would be wary of fading over time, too.

The veneer idea is good. Though, be careful, don't want to make the heads too snug by expanding the drum's diameter.

It might be easier to have a pro do it. And cheaper in the long run if you have to fix mistakes and what not.

Latest posts