header.nohb.html

Stripping pitted chrome off a Supraphonic

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fayray, I like it! Maybe sand it a little to dull some of the pitting, and then maybe a coat of poly for safety reasons. You don't want to reach for something and grate off your fingers.......but very cool!

Fayray

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
JazzDrumGuy said:
Fayray, I like it! Maybe sand it a little to dull some of the pitting, and then maybe a coat of poly for safety reasons. You don't want to reach for something and grate off your fingers.......but very cool!
I'm not sure how he did it but it's quite smooth (well not dangerous to pick up at least) and not flaking off anymore. I can't see any sanding marks so if it was sanded it was done carefully

donbseattle

Reaction score
There's a couple guys here that have done it hopefully they'll weigh in.
Personally I would go to the plater and have it dipped in acid.
Hey JP, is there way to keep a new Supra from pitting in the first place? Can you bury it in the back yard all winter, or soak it in the Atlantic Ocean for two weeks? Or coat it with olive oil or hot sauce ?

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Supra's are very available. Why not sell that one and buy another? And the KS Brass ones (even a SS) in any condition are quite valuable.
Yours could be worth $300-$400 as is. If it were a typical pitted up COA.....then $200-$225.

Any time I mistakenly put nickel parts (I thought were chrome) in to a muriatic acid bath.....they turn black. And they don't go back to brilliant.

baz1949

Reaction score
Here's one I had re-chromed £80 but it didn't make one bit of difference to the sound and it wasn't 100% perfect

Attachments

• DSCN4195.JPG
    DSCN4195.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 20

rsq911

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I am not sure if I should post here or in the "builder's" section......

I have a KB Supra shell (ok, it's a super sensitive, but I plan on converting it) from the 60's. Definitely a player's snare.
It has some nice chrome areas (where the heads sat) but for the most part, it is beat to all heck. I want to strip the pitted chrome and I am not sure how to do it.

I don't have a lot of tools. I don't want to go to a chrome or metal co. or spend a lot of $$$. I was hoping somebody had a cheap way to do it - either like sand paper, maybe a wood chisel to get under the chrome and work my way around it, or some sort of not-too-chemically special sauce.......

I have contemplated selling it as is (all bare, with orig. badge) but not sure if that's worth anything......thanks.

(No I don't have pics on me)......

PS: Any ideas on how to remove the orig. grommet without destroying it would be a bonus!
I have done, did a post here on it. If you have a drill, and get a 3M headlight polishing kit from Napa, you are money!
The date stamp is protected too! You can go the Alex Van Halen route, spray bomb the outside, or ……

Gunnellett

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have done, did a post here on it. If you have a drill, and get a 3M headlight polishing kit from Napa, you are money!
The date stamp is protected too! You can go the Alex Van Halen route, spray bomb the outside, or ……
Can you direct us to your post please? I'd like to check it out. Thanks.