Strollin with Bone - Super fast shuffle (for me)

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Super fast fun shuffle this one, Supposed to be playin it with a band on Fri .

Anyone play it before or this type of fast jump blues shuffle ? and how do you play it so fast

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm 99% sure that's my friend Stephen Hodges. I studied with him for several years. Put headphones on and listen because on that one he's more dragging and accenting the left hand versus playing a strict two hand shuffle.

If you want to hear the best of the best playing West Coast Blues listen to James Harmon, Hollywood Fats, and Kid Ramos (who where both in Harmon's band). And in particular study Stephen Hodges and Stephen Innes.

I put this as more a jump then a shuffle as an FYI.

PS - Hodges has been playing with Mavis Staples for years now.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Super fast fun shuffle this one, Supposed to be playin it with a band on Fri .

Anyone play it before or this type of fast jump blues shuffle ? and how do you play it so fast

I tried it just now. Kept falling into a swing beat....maybe that's the answer?

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flat tire forward motion . Straight, if you manage to squeeze it in, may turn out robotic .

I love Bob Wills and the old generation Texas and Okie jump shuffle guys .

Kcmcc

Reaction score
And he's accenting the 2 and 4 hard within the righthand swing feel, which is the primary backbeat, so the highhat is playing backbeat more than the snare.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yup. Good answers. And Stephen Innes. One of the best...

That's an old tune, T Bone walker maybe..

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm 99% sure that's my friend Stephen Hodges. I studied with him for several years. Put headphones on and listen because on that one he's more dragging and accenting the left hand versus playing a strict two hand shuffle.

If you want to hear the best of the best playing West Coast Blues listen to James Harmon, Hollywood Fats, and Kid Ramos (who where both in Harmon's band). And in particular study Stephen Hodges and Stephen Innes.

I put this as more a jump then a shuffle as an FYI.

PS - Hodges has been playing with Mavis Staples for years now.
He's great. Really gets cooking around 6:40

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He's great. Really gets cooking around 6:40
Oh wow. I know this guy. We split the bill with Mavis a few times. He was bringing his own mikes and filters on the road and sending the signal to front of house. Recreating Mavis' sound from her record at the time. ( Might have been a Keltner session). Very cool

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Flat tire forward motion . Straight, if you manage to squeeze it in, may turn out robotic .

Having fun goin between swung & straight, think its somewhere in-between there.

ChrisBabbitt

Reaction score
The guy who literally wrote the book on fast shuffles was Bobby Morris, Louis Prima's drummer in the 1950's. Watch this & check out the left hand.

Another great example of a fast shuffle is here with Buddy Rich in 1967. Start at 5:45

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One of the greatest West Coast blues bands of all time.

James Harmon, Hollywood Fats, Kid Ramos, Jeff Turmes on bass (I think) and Hodges with his 32" bass drum. Stupid great band.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Question for BennyK or any Shuffle Zen masters out there.

Do you mean move the swing feel in the direction of straight 8ths or a very tight shuffle ala 16ths ?

Swung Triplet feel 1 & a 2 & a 3 & a 4 & a
Straight 8ths 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
Straight 16ths 1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 E & a

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Swing the ride with a jazz pattern
Four on the floor
mostly accent the 2 and 4 but do some drags and an occasional shuffle with the snare - listen to how he's basically comping like a jazz player for the most part on the snare
2 and 4 on the hi-hat - you can go to all 4 on the hat during the solo if you want to build it up.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Some Hodges shuffles

The first one is close to Strollen with the bone - but faster. ;)

And as a "blues drum lesson" I submit arguably the best song writing blue band of all time - and certainly LOADED with amazing musicians. The Fabulous Thunderbirds in their "real" lineup

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
One of my all time favorite west coast/jump blues drummers is Jimi Bott,Piazza alumni, with Ramos in Proven Ones currently.
He jumps Southern Ladies into next week!
Richard Innes,RIP, is another favorite,Hollywood Flames,Wm Clarke,i believe plus many more.

Last edited:

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Its a jump,thats what i call them
I love playing these.
When ya slow it down ,its like a flat tire like blueshadow said

ZackPomerleau

Reaction score
You can play that as a flat tire, but at that tempo the left hand can still shuffle with just a wrist motion. I stay super low on the head and make sure not to tighten up. I do double shuffles around that temp. 195 or so.

As it gets faster some dudes like Bobby Morris could do all the notes in the left hand. I find most players leave out the 1 and 3 which gets filled in sonically by the ride cymbal pattern. Slowed down it doesn't sound as good.

Latest posts