Studio Build

RockrGrl

Reaction score
Updates.
The 2lb MLV is up with the iso track being attached. Ceiling too, everywhere there's drywall there'll be the iso rails behind it, which it on MVL which is on a floated and decoupled interior wall. Close neighbors but they'll never hear my 22" bass drum again.
No surprise that as soon as the MLV went up wireless cell and internet service became an issue so it's been hard wired from the house and will end up in the control room.
HVAC in the control room and live room installed. Detail details.
How exactly are you dealing with HVAC?

rock roll

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Th
Walls look massive. I'm sure they do the trick. Love the egg cartons. I'm not sure of my treatment yet. Baffles, maybe some heavy curtains .
walls are not massive they take up as much room as a 2x4 wall , it's just they increase by 2 inches as you go up the wall . So no floor space is lost. There is a total of 5 sheets of 1/2" drywall due to cost, I would have liked to mix the thicknesses of the drywall.theres an air gap between the walls , 3 layers on the inside and 2 on the outside.
The room works amazingly well.
The only thing you have to worry about is bass amp ... the frequencies just push thru mass better.
Mass is the only thing that can stop low sound waves.there are things that help as in my attempt to have an air gap so that the vibrational frequencies go thru a mix ofmaterials , mine being drywall then air gap then drywall. , sounds like you are doing fine . Very cool build.

rock roll

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's some pics..
Visualize the walls as a line of 2x4's all the way along the wall vertically at 32" apart , with a 2 x4 horizontal along the bottom of the wall and a 2x6 horizontal along the top of the wall , the 2x4's are lined up along the outside of the wall. Then screw em in ...
. then run another line of 2x4's inbetween the current line of 24" on center , but these will have an angle cut on the bottom of these line of 2x4's to match uP With the top of the inside of the 2x6 at the top.
You now have 2 walls with an air gap between but they are still together at the top and bottom . The inside wall is now on an angle. Outside wall is straight. With rubber under the bottom between the concrete and the bottom wall .
Hope this helped to visualize .

rock roll

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would consider it if I didn't need the flexibility of recording drums in different areas of the live room. In lieu of that, the vinyl flooring will be laid on 1lb MLV effectively decoupling it from the slab. Cheaper than floating the entire floor. This in conjunction with the double walls and ceiling treatment, and the fact that I've already spent the money I budgeted will hopefully be sufficient to reduce enough low end transfer.
Try to put your bass amp on a rubber mat with carpet over it ... it only needs to be as big as your bass amp.
It will reduce low frequency bleed into the concrete.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try to put your bass amp on a rubber mat with carpet over it ... it only needs to be as big as your bass amp.
It will reduce low frequency bleed into the concrete.
I built a (relatively) portable drum platform with ¾" MDF sheets on top of strips of Auralex PlatFoam isolation foam. Each 4'x8' MDF sheet weighs 100 lbs so it takes two people to move the platform sections around, but the platform definitely reduces vibrations traveling though the floor (wood in my case) into the rest of the structure.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How exactly are you dealing with HVAC?
Here are some pictures which might help.
I'm using split-type Mitsubishi indoor wall units. One for the control room, one for the live room. Pictured with covers as we're sanding drywall. They're both on one separate breaker. It's a duckless system. The electrical and condensation vent run down the inside of the walls and exit the stucco 6 inches above the ground. (pictured) I obviously had these installed by someone who knew what the heck they were doing. I'm just the guy who writes the checks. All the holes in the exterior stucco are sprayed with insulating foam to prevent sound from escaping. The two compressors are placed around the corner from each other.

Attachments

• CR HVAC2.jpg
    CR HVAC2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 36
  • HVAC6.jpg
    HVAC6.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 39
  • CR HVAC.jpg
    CR HVAC.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 36
  • LR HVAC4.jpg
    LR HVAC4.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 35
  • HVAC2.jpg
    HVAC2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 37
  • HVAC3.jpg
    HVAC3.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

rock roll

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures which might help.
I'm using split-type Mitsubishi indoor wall units. One for the control room, one for the live room. Pictured with covers as we're sanding drywall. They're both on one separate breaker. The electrical, condensation and air vents directly behind them run down the inside of the walls and exit the stucco 6 inches above the ground. (pictured) All the holes in the exterior stucco are sprayed with insulation foam to prevent sound from escaping. The two compressors are placed around the corner from each other.
How do you ventilate the studio room? Where does the stale air go? Love your Mitsubishi mr.slim's . I want to upgrade to that .

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How do you ventilate the studio room?
A great question. If these units don't have a blower mode that circulates outside air in then I suppose I could open one of two doors for fresh air. I haven't even turned them on yet. With all the insulation I'd expect the temperature inside to say fairly constant despite the outside temps.... but yeah any stale air will need an exit.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is a (potential walk-in) commercial business you're going need handicap accessible entrance Yo"
and "Parking" (just a sign) clearly marked..and

Last edited:

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If this is a (potential walk-in) business you're going need handicap accessible entrance Yo"
and "Parking" clearly marked..and
Thanks Joe. Through my contacts at the city I've arranged handicap drummers parking in the alley behind 7/11 during peak hours of 1am-4am. Only two short blocks away. Plus their own studio entrance through the newly renovated gravel pit with extra stairs.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you're kidding or not but my dad had a business for 70 years (and I was there for 50 of em)..... If it's commercial..won't you have some regulations +/- to adhere to.. LOL
have to have a Railing a Ramp, ...what else metal Parking sign.

May as well Incorporate . That's easy. You- President.. Son- Vice President.. Wife- Treasurer and Secretary. done. now you're a Company
Or is this all going to be on the down lo babe.

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about a restroom. Nah you don't. Wait. Maybe.
Man... A toilet near by is worth a lot. I have a small 1/2 bathroom just a few steps away from my office that I have really come to appreciate.