Studio Build

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How about a restroom.
Good question. To get plumbing to the garage wasn't cheap. Add to that the loss of studio space and buying the golden throne I'm accustomed to... we'll just have to walk the 120ft to the house.

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is probably worth looking into Sinc. My understanding (though Im not an expert) is that those split systems dont actually exchange any air with the outside. The inside unit just re-cools the internal air, and the plumbing and such that goes to the outside is just for the coolant and the like. Again I dont really know what Im talking about, but ducting sufficient to move air is usually alot larger than what those splits have.

I ran into the same problem with my build. My room is small, so it was a big deal. The guy I hired just assumed that the split system would take care of it and then left me to figure it out myself. In the end I abandoned the AC since its just me, drums don't generate that much heat and 50% of the year Im actually running a heater up here. Instead we put in a passive input duct with something like 4" tubing, and an output with one of those Panasonic Whisper fans. It was fun designing and building all of that after the fact when walls and everything were done. We did some custom silencer boxes inside the room around both the input and output, and they dont seem to let much noise out.

Your room is alot bigger so you'll suffocate slower, but might be worth considering for build up of humidity and the like even if you keep the temp down with AC. You'll be sweating alot more once you realize you can play alot louder...

Besides, someone needed to post something here to shut Joe down.

A great question. If these units don't have a blower mode that circulates outside air in then I suppose I could open one of two doors for fresh air. I haven't even turned them on yet. With all the insulation I'd expect the temperature inside to say fairly constant despite the outside temps.... but yeah any stale air will need an exit.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is probably worth looking into Sinc. My understanding (though Im not an expert) is that those split systems dont actually exchange any air with the outside. The inside unit just re-cools the internal air, and the plumbing and such that goes to the outside is just for the coolant and the like. Again I dont really know what Im talking about, but ducting sufficient to move air is usually alot larger than what those splits have.
You may be right that it doesn't have a fan only function bring in outside air. I will look over the literature and discuss it with my contractor. These units came highly recommended and he's used them in other builds... but to have to open both doors to get a flow of fresh air into the studio (even LA air) seems a bit archaic.
Thanks for the post.

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again I could totally be talking out my a$! here, wouldn't be the first time. Only thing to add is that what I'm suggesting doesn't negate those being killer units. I'm sure they do the AC job great, just not sure if there is any air exchange going on.

With all this said in my small room when I go in late night and it's cold and wet outside I often leave my fans off and just live with the air inside. Even after a couple hours, I haven't fainted yet. Which is probably good because the interior sound proofing door deadbolts from the inside with no access from the outside, so if I faint in there I hope my wife fires up the chain saw in time...

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know jack about air flow. But ...

Everybody needs a break after a couple hours. Just swing open the doors, step outside and have a smoke. By the time everybody's ready to reconvene, viola, new air. Am I wrong?

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope - I had the same realization after getting the 5K qoute for an AC system install. The sad truth is its just me in my space typically at 10 pm at night when its 50 degrees or less outside. Plus no guitar amps or the like to heat things up, I've never actually needed any AC in there. Sometimes things can be simple.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I Am I wrong?
Nope...I'm all for taking a break outside but for what it's costing me you'd think there'd be a solution that includes keeping the doors closed. It is a recording studio after all.
I know my contractor will have an answer. He's answered the hundreds of other question I've thrown at him including figuring out how to raise the ceiling after the project was well under way. The guy's an artist in his own right.

Reactions: TPC

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure those AC units only filter, heat or cool, and circulate the inside air (and remove humidity). They can be added to places with existing ventilation without adjustments as they don't change the balance of in and out flow. (Unless those are completely different from the usual ones.)

RockrGrl

Reaction score
Here are some pictures which might help.
I'm using split-type Mitsubishi indoor wall units. One for the control room, one for the live room. Pictured with covers as we're sanding drywall. They're both on one separate breaker. It's a duckless system. The electrical and condensation vent run down the inside of the walls and exit the stucco 6 inches above the ground. (pictured) I obviously had these installed by someone who knew what the heck they were doing. I'm just the guy who writes the checks. All the holes in the exterior stucco are sprayed with insulating foam to prevent sound from escaping. The two compressors are placed around the corner from each other.
thanks very much!

RockrGrl

Reaction score

I ran into the same problem with my build. My room is small, so it was a big deal. The guy I hired just assumed that the split system would take care of it and then left me to figure it out myself. In the end I abandoned the AC since its just me, drums don't generate that much heat and 50% of the year Im actually running a heater up here. Instead we put in a passive input duct with something like 4" tubing, and an output with one of those Panasonic Whisper fans. It was fun designing and building all of that after the fact when walls and everything were done. We did some custom silencer boxes inside the room around both the input and output, and they dont seem to let much noise out.

Your room is alot bigger so you'll suffocate slower, but might be worth considering for build up of humidity and the like even if you keep the temp down with AC. You'll be sweating alot more once you realize you can play alot louder...

Pictures please!

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The system I'm using is ductless and doesn't pull outside air in. It cools and heats inside air only. Very efficiently I'm told. Looks like I'll be opening the two studio doors to get fresh air.

Last edited:

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hmm, you could get some scuba gear for the rhythm section but it won't work for horn players...

DB-66

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

FWIW, I have a sound isolation practice space with mini split system. There are seals around the door (though not hermetic), and no windows. I practice about 3 hours a day in the room and will occasionally have a trio rehearse in the space for 2.5 hours. The room is 14x11x8. In the 9 years I’ve worked out of this room, I’ve not encountered any hypoxia/headaches/difficulty breathing. Maybe I’ll start practicing with an oximeter, though.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Back at it after a lost week with covid. Ordering control room windows next.
First coat of primer on walls today.
CR Window.jpg
CRWindows1.jpg

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking good, bud.
Really liking how this is laying out.