Studio Build

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looking good, bud.
Really liking how this is laying out.
Thanks. Pretty straight forward compared to some of the designs over at John Sayer's recording studio design forum. They're a great reference. Even so I didn't do much consulting about my ideas over there. Kinda too late now, I'm almost done. Plus we pretty much went all the way with the space we have here. After we paint and get the room acoustics dialed in, which BTW we'll be able to change in 2 minutes from a dead room to a live room depending on what's being recorded, it'll be a cozy vibey space with a lot of recording options.
One album project waiting, with another in the wings. Can't wait to get going.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking great, Sinc.

Just drove through Glendale on my way OC for my kid’s baseball tournament. I was going to give you a ring, but lost your number when my old phone died. Next time. I’d love to check out your space in person.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How many breakers are you putting in for electrical?
The HAVC system has it's own, one for everything in the control room, a third for the main live room, a forth for the storage/ISO booth and I think the exterior lights have their own too. I should double check that. There's a ton of head room I do know that.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looking great, Sinc.

Just drove through Glendale on my way OC for my kid’s baseball tournament. I was going to give you a ring, but lost your number when my old phone died. Next time. I’d love to check out your space in person.
You're probably still on the freeway. ;-)
That's a must. Come by anytime.
I remember the baseball days in Glendale little league coaching my son's team. You son's playing winter ball I guess?

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You're probably still on the freeway. ;-)
That's a must. Come by anytime.
I remember the baseball days in Glendale little league coaching my son's team. You son's playing winter ball I guess?
Drove from Oakland to OC Friday. Past through your neighborhood at about 7:30. Then back through today at about noon.

Yeah, HS pre-season club ball. Our first SoCal trip.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Drove from Oakland to OC Friday. Past through your neighborhood at about 7:30. Then back through today at about noon.

Yeah, HS pre-season club ball. Our first SoCal trip.
Awesome...enjoy it.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The HAVC system has it's own, one for everything in the control room, a third for the main live room, a forth for the storage/ISO booth and I think the exterior lights have their own too. I should double check that. There's a ton of head room I do know that.
You going led lighting? I think fluorescents give off a hum?

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great questions. Yeah, the plan is led. Maybe incandescent in a few floor lamps for the vibe. For sure no fluorescents.
They def make some very cool led stuff now with all the color changing options. Bulbs, strips, shapes… would be very cool
To look into

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They def make some very cool led stuff now with all the color changing options. Bulbs, strips, shapes… would be very cool
To look into
Definitely. Lighting especially in a studio with no windows is more important than some would imagine. We'll have the option of lighting the room up or adjusting for the back alley Parisian brothel....ladies included for a substantial up charge.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
so it is a business..
See oren told ya
you got to have a sign for dancing girls
a clearly marked menu

Last edited:

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
so it is a business..
See oren told ya
you got to have a sign for dancing girls
a clearly marked menu
business...maybe...with parking as mentioned above
dancing girls...too many headaches... they draw the wrong demographic (drummers)
clearly marked menu....no food but maybe drinks. good bartenders apply inside...big plus if you're female and can dance....hold it that's more drummers...forget it, I'll buy shot classes and a blender.

D

DBT

Looking good there Sinclair . Consider having the contractor make up nice size Cork wall panels when it’s done .

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looking good there Sinclair . Consider having the contractor make up nice size Cork wall panels when it’s done .
That could be very cool. We have spoken about framed baffles I could position anywhere on the two walls hung from a wood railing attached to the walls. I could use as many as needed or none at all depending. My other idea was to have a thick floor to ceiling theatre curtain on a rail that I could simply pull across one or both walls to deaden things. We'd also like to keep some wall space available to hang art work too. This all needs to be figured out within the next few weeks. Keep the ideas coming. Thanks.

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A french cleat system for wall panels is very cool and very easy, I even did it myself in my studio. You can rip thin 8' long 3" inch strips out of piece of plywood with a 45 degree angle on one side. Do that in pairs along the 45 degree edge, one side goes up on the wall in 8' sections, the other side gets cut into 2' chunks or whatever to screw onto the backs of your panels. Bonus is that if you're off slightly on the 45 it doesnt matter if you run everything in pairs since once the panels are hung, the opposite angles are re-assembled. Not sure if this makes any sense. Extra bonus is you now have a small air gap between your panels and the wall. If the back of your panels are open or just covered in cloth, that can help with low frequency absorption (or so I've been told).

Art wise GIK does a very cool thing where you can order panels with prints right on the fabric. You can now buy Guilford of Maine fabric direct (I believe), so order up a spool and get someone to paint/print directly on them.

I think I'm (almost) as excited about this room as you are Sinc! Let me know opening day, I'll be there for the shots and blended drinks.

Thanks again for sharing the process, this is great for everyone aspiring to a similar project.

That could be very cool. We have spoken about framed baffles I could position anywhere on the two walls hung from a wood railing attached to the walls. I could use as many as needed or none at all depending. My other idea was to have a thick floor to ceiling theatre curtain on a rail that I could simply pull across one or both walls to deaden things. We'd also like to keep some wall space available to hang art work too. This all needs to be figured out within the next few weeks. Keep the ideas coming. Thanks.

D

DBT

Cork is affordable and can be cut in any size panels you want . Also it is not only a great sound proofing it also is a great insulator . Personally I like it a lot better then the foam panels . Keep on Truck’in .

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure if this makes any sense.

Art wise GIK does a very cool thing where you can order panels with prints right on the fabric. You can now buy Guilford of Maine fabric direct (I believe), so order up a spool and get someone to paint/print directly on them.

I think I'm (almost) as excited about this room as you are Sinc! Let me know opening day, I'll be there for the shots and blended drinks.

Thanks again for sharing the process, this is great for everyone aspiring to a similar project.
Perfect sense. I think I could even put that together myself. We'll see.
Opening day all drinks are on the house so you don't want to miss that. Just no drinks near the console. ;-) I'm getting pretty revved up myself even if the Hooters girls just canceled. A more lucrative gig in Hollywood. Typical.

D

DBT

Perfect sense. I think I could even put that together myself. We'll see.
Opening day all drinks are on the house so you don't want to miss that. Just no drinks near the console. ;-) I'm getting pretty revved up myself even if the Hooters girls just canceled. A more lucrative gig in Hollywood. Typical.
Let me know if the Hooters girls are coming I’ll get on a plane for that .

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Painting, control room glass, doors. All the wiring shows up tomorrow and the soldering begins.
Screenshot_20220119-183513_Instagram.jpg

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is looking very very fine!