Studio Build

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Made stained pine covers for the 5 exposed beams today.
Kind of a signature look for the room. Tomorrow they go up.

beams2.jpg

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is the geek part. Look at these soldering joints with the cool shrink wrap over eachl!! I'm not even high off the fumes. Each cable from this panel is 54 feet. On to the next panel. Each cable on the four panels gets tested before they're screwed into place. Doing this instal ourselves is saving me $1600.

Wires.jpg

D

DBT

This is the geek part. Look at these soldering joints with the cool shrink wrap over eachl!! I'm not even high off the fumes. Each cable from this panel is 54 feet. On to the next panel. Each cable on the four panels gets tested before they're screwed into place. Doing this instal ourselves is saving me $1600.

View attachment 539717
Yeah man shrink wrap is good . Now only if they’d make some large enough for my ex’s big mouth !

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

View attachment 539717

The Geek Part, indeed! Brings back fond memories of my first job in the "bigtime" studio biz. I got hired off the street to wire panels at the Record Plant Sausalito in 1972. I don't remember exactly why, but I also ended up MAKING the panels ....... hacksawing them out of 3/16" aluminum sheet, smoothing and truing the edges with a file and a bench vise. Then punching the holes for the XLR connectors with a Greenlee punch, after laying out the pattern. Maybe the boys were getting low on funds after they paid the Westlake Audio bill! Needless to say, the mic and headphone panels did NOT have the sexy engraved white lettering and numbering ..... maybe some Dymo labels?

My initial hourly pay was ....... $2 per ........

Mike

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Geek Part, indeed! Brings back fond memories of my first job in the "bigtime" studio biz. I got hired off the street to wire panels at the Record Plant Sausalito in 1972. I don't remember exactly why, but I also ended up MAKING the panels ....... hacksawing them out of 3/16" aluminum sheet, smoothing and truing the edges with a file and a bench vise. Then punching the holes for the XLR connectors with a Greenlee punch, after laying out the pattern. Maybe the boys were getting low on funds after they paid the Westlake Audio bill! Needless to say, the mic and headphone panels did NOT have the sexy engraved white lettering and numbering ..... maybe some Dymo labels?

My initial hourly pay was ....... $2 per ........

Mike
Another great story Mike. $2 per hour, and a hacksaw! That's called old school on the job training. They don't do that any more.