Studio Build

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Almost ready to record. Waiting on a few cables for the half inch 8 track and 2 more patch bays. Tuning the control room and hanging baffles in the live room. Details details.
CR1.jpg
CR Party lights.jpg

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
Tascam 38 eight track 1/2" machine (all the rage with Millennials) to the project. Some use this machine strictly for drums.
Which just cracks me up. Since for recording drums was the number one reason I was chomping at the bit to remove those small format, "prosumer" tape recorders from my life.

I get what they are searching for - but those formats just come with huge trade-offs.... Sure they provide a lot of analog benefits - but all of their "bad analog" attributes come along for the ride. A very hefty tradeoff, when there are other ways...

But that aside - the place looks great - congrats. A space like that should serve you (and your son) well for many, many years.

EssKayKay

Reaction score
I have to agree with ThomasL - if it sounds even half as good as it looks you have an absolute winner. Job well done Sinclair - this is something to be very proud of.

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sinclair, not to be nit picky, but I haven’t seen a picture of the pull out futon for me to sleep on.

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Which just cracks me up. Since for recording drums was the number one reason I was chomping at the bit to remove those small format, "prosumer" tape recorders from my life.

I get what they are searching for - but those formats just come with huge trade-offs.... Sure they provide a lot of analog benefits - but all of their "bad analog" attributes come along for the ride. A very hefty tradeoff, when there are other ways...

But that aside - the place looks great - congrats. A space like that should serve you (and your son) well for many, many years.
This definitely brings up a good point and some “memories “ good and bad working with tape.

Sinclair, will you also have a protools or equivalent setup?

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You have a extra room I’m in needing of being adopted lol. Great looking studio can’t wait to hear some tunes out of it

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow! Congrats on the build, this looks phenomenal. May this new space live and resonate to the tune of many many many inspiring and inspired projects.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

This is so true Dave. If it wasn't donated by my brother ie. free, I would have never pursued any analog options. My son however said it's a nice feature. He knows guys who use that very machine and he thinks it will help attract artists he knows. It's in excellent shape and has the DX-40 noise reduction for each track, the remote control and board which is too cumbersome for the control room. We shall see. What's old (and hisses) is new again I guess. :)

Last edited:

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is so true Dave. If it wasn't donated by my brother ie. free, I would have never pursued any analog options. My son however said it's a nice feature. He knows guys who use that very machine and he thinks it will help attract artists he knows. It's in excellent shape and has the DX-40 noise reduction for each track and the remote control. We shall see. What's old (and hisses) is new again I guess. :)
Now let's hope your clients will be willing to pay $200 a pop for a reel of 1" tape...

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
This is so true Dave. If it wasn't donated by my brother ie. free, I would have never pursued any analog options. My son however said it's a nice feature. He knows guys who use that very machine and he thinks it will help attract artists he knows. It's in excellent shape and has the DX-40 noise reduction for each track and the remote control. We shall see. What's old (and hisses) is new again I guess. :)
But again - what do I know. Funny thing within hours of posting that, I was watching a studio tour video with Marc Daniel Nelson- a total hotshot mixer/producer... former protege of Bill Schnee - worked on a billion things - and does some wonderful mixing tutorials on YouTube... So I'm watching this tour of his personal studio - filled with all of this completely top drawer gear - and about 10 minutes in what does he have in there? A Tascam 388 - that all-in-one mixer/tape deck combo - that squeezed 8 tracks onto 1/4"(!) tape. From a back in the day perspective, it makes your 1/2" 8 track a virtual Studer machine.

But there it was - and in the interview, he talks about that of course he isn't using as a regular tape recorder but as basically an effects processor. Which he says for him, it's limitations just accentuate the aspects he's looking for. Far better than a really nice analog machine - which would be so subtly different from the digital, that why even bother. He's looking for the crunch, that bit of horribleness (that he finds very hard to create by other means) that he can then blend back into a sound to great effect. He says he doesn't use it all the time - but does use it about twice a month.

Anyway - like I said - so what do I know???

Posted the video - it's long and very gear head-y - but if you want to see that section, it's around the 10 minute mark...

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
But again - what do I know. Funny thing within hours of posting that, I was watching a studio tour video with Marc Daniel Nelson- a total hotshot mixer/producer... former protege of Bill Schnee - worked on a billion things - and does some wonderful mixing tutorials on YouTube... So I'm watching this tour of his personal studio - filled with all of this completely top drawer gear - and about 10 minutes in what does he have in there? A Tascam 388 - that all-in-one mixer/tape deck combo - that squeezed 8 tracks onto 1/4"(!) tape. From a back in the day perspective, it makes your 1/2" 8 track a virtual Studer machine.

But there it was - and in the interview, he talks about that of course he isn't using as a regular tape recorder but as basically an effects processor. Which he says for him, it's limitations just accentuate the aspects he's looking for. Far better than a really nice analog machine - which would be so subtly different from the digital, that why even bother. He's looking for the crunch, that bit of horribleness (that he finds very hard to create by other means) that he can then blend back into a sound to great effect. He says he doesn't use it all the time - but does use it about twice a month.

Anyway - like I said - so what do I know???

Posted the video - it's long and very gear head-y - but if you want to see that section, it's around the 10 minute mark...

Love MD Nelson. Have been watching his Make-Mine-Music series for about 2 years. Very inspiring and informative.