Studio Build

DBT

Reaction score
Yeah!...wish I had cinder block. That and your walls are a low end killer especially with no windows. Mine is a detached garage on a slab. We put it up about 20 years ago. Every now and then I kick myself for not digging out a large basement under the slab. Talk about soundproof. It would have cost me less than I'm spending now. Oh well.
It probably would have cost less . I love that room and I’m sure you will love yours too . Between the studio and my shop I’m almost never in the house .

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It probably would have cost less . I love that room and I’m sure you will love yours too . Between the studio and my shop I’m almost never in the house .
Yep I bet. "Honey I'll be in the studio for a week. Don't forget the bills."

DBT

Reaction score
Yep I bet. "Honey I'll be in the studio for a week. Don't forget the bills."
That’s precisely why I’m single and my son’s Mother wouldn’t marry me hahahaha . Just me and my Dog …. and she doesn’t talk back . Post me up on your progress please .

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That’s precisely why I’m single and my son’s Mother wouldn’t marry me hahahaha . Just me and my Dog …. and she doesn’t talk back . Post me up on your progress please .
Haha..I'll drink to that! Will certainly be posting. Next week the interior walls and wiring go in.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Control room framed in today. Excellent line of sight with windows in each of the two double walls and double doors. Sub panel with separate breakers for the control room, live room, air conditioning, lights etc. Now where them membership fee$?

Attachments

Last edited:

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm getting a bit of that X-Mas anticipation kinda excitment as your project progresses!!! Thanks for updating us here, too.

Last edited:

DBT

Reaction score
Thanks. You really get idea of the space when the walls get framed. Doors ordered but will take a month to get.
Yup . You can start visioning how and where your setting up. Special orders are always a drag but a month isn’t to bad . Other things will be getting done and poof the doors become finishing touches = home free .

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm getting a bit of that X-Mas anticipation kinda excitment as your project progress!!! Thanks for updating us here, too.
Haha, you and me both. When we're finished if you're in town you'll have to drop by for a look. I have the first session booked for mid January. Can't wait to get up and running. For live recording we're limited to 16 inputs for now but wiring for more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hop

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For live we're limited to 16 inputs for now but wiring for more.
For a band up to about an octet (I have a septet), 16 is a good number. Up to 7 on the drums, one each for several horns, guitar, bass, stereo on keys, and a couple room mic's. I've always thought that more is just overkill.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Control room framed in today. Excellent line of sight with windows in each of the two double walls and double doors. Sub panel with separate breakers for the control room, live room, air conditioning, lights etc. Now where them membership fee$?
A clean job is a happy job!

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For a band up to about an octet (I have a septet), 16 is a good number. Up to 7 on the drums, one each for several horns, guitar, bass, stereo on keys, and a couple room mic's. I've always thought that more is just overkill.
My thoughts too. There are many way around 16 that could work fine I think. Overdub horns etc. One of the ideas for the room was to have a space to record live performances. Rock bands or piano trios or quartets.
Apparently the days of "Ok I've got the 16 mics on my 4 piece jazz kit ready...what are you guys gonna use?"...will be in the past.

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Apparently the days of "Ok I've got the 16 mics on my 4 piece jazz kit ready...what are you guys gonna use?"...will be in the past.
Haha! Yeah - for "natural sounding music", I think one could maybe dispense with the mic under the snare, for example.

(Ducks for cover.)