Studio drummers a dime a dozen now. I had no idea...

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
That was an interesting take on hearing from the producer's standpoint about what works for a song.

barryabko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I performed with Fernando Perdomo at NAMM 2018. He was playing guitar and I was playing a cajon and various hand percussion. He is an accomplished multi-instrumentalist with a rather impressive list of credits (including the Echo In The Canyon band with Jakob Dylan) as well well as a producer.

Last edited:

kallen49

Reaction score
You get what you pay for.
Yes. The producer doesn’t like parts where some of the “drummers for hire“ have not paid enough attention to the music. The drummer whose part he likes best has grasped where to “play shots”, where to lay back, or intensify. Listening is an important skill.
Glad there are still things a human can do better than an algorithm. At least for now.

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
This video kind of shows too that you get what you pay for. A real producer will hire a real drummer/musician based on knowing them/reputation. Out of the 8, 5 have no business doing sessions online or in a regular studio. I will say that recording drums like this is harder than tracking with a band the traditional way. Your headphone mix is more important & getting a clear click separation. Home recording & YouTube have made heroes out of a lot of hacks & chophappy tools who love to show off. This is kind of indicative of why there's only one Gadd/Colaiuta/Porcaro etc. Cool video though & it would be cool if it was better music in a real studio where you have to learn or read the part there & track. That certainly cuts it down quickly. Not everyone can do studio tracking. Other instruments too, not just drums. Drums are the most obvious though.

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a video that all aspiring musicians should be forced to watch before they decide to skip college or trade school in favor of going pro. Do you really want your occupational fate hinging on the opinions of jerks like this?

Maybe there was more direction given to the drummers beforehand than this video includes, but in my opinion there are multiple ways this song segment could be played while the jerk already had his own ideas about how it should be played. Standing out to me is his criticism of some for not playing a fill when they might. How do they know? Sometimes resting is better.

The implicit expectation seemed to be that the drummers would play to the maximum. I suppose this expectation goes with the nature of the audition or whatever it was. If drummers are only given a minute or so to showcase their skills, they better pour it on.

I do like the winner's drumming. She was outstanding. But prior to her I had another preference and think several of the others would have been fine.

I'm just glad that I never went pro. With a day job, I wasn't at the mercy of guys like this and could walk away. I'd hate to have my ability to pay rent depend on second-guessing guys like this, unless he gave more direction up front than the video reveals.

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
Oh I know that girl he selected at the end. Didn't know she was in the video.

Idk, I think every drummer is going to play a song differently and that's ok unless it's a pre-existing song that you're covering for a gig or something, then you should try to stick to the original. I also don't like that this YouTube hack is being given a position where he can tell people that what they're playing is wrong or bad or whatever. I mean is he even a real producer?

drumstuff66

Reaction score
IMO, when you call yourself a pro drummer and solicit work as such and accept money for a job the person paying you has every right to criticize your work - just like a "day job" boss. The drummers in the video put themselves out there as "pros". Don't like criticism don't put yourself out there for hire. The "youtube hack" (endorsed by Tama & a good player IMO) wasn't "given" the producer position, he paid for it. Any one of those drummers could've returned the money and said "no thanks" but they took it. They now have a boss. I do agree that if someone buckles under pressure or doesn't like people telling them what to play then professional studio work probably isn't for them. They wouldn't get many call backs anyway.

He who writes the check is the boss. Same goes for bandleaders. Unless it's just you and your buddies ripping through tunes at the local bar for tips while your other buddies tell you how awesome you are someone's paying you. The bandleader, the venue, the production company, whoever. They are your boss. Seems self-evident, but maybe not....

Here's follow up he posted. He hired three Nashville PROS:

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Oh I know that girl he selected at the end. Didn't know she was in the video.

Idk, I think every drummer is going to play a song differently and that's ok unless it's a pre-existing song that you're covering for a gig or something, then you should try to stick to the original. I also don't like that this YouTube hack is being given a position where he can tell people that what they're playing is wrong or bad or whatever. I mean is he even a real producer?
He states pretty clearly that he thought they all did fine and that the criticisms were just his personal choices.
I was surprised at how many drummers were willing to work so cheaply.

kallen49

Reaction score
IMO, when you call yourself a pro drummer and solicit work as such and accept money for a job the person paying you has every right to criticize your work - just like a "day job" boss. The drummers in the video put themselves out there as "pros". Don't like criticism don't put yourself out there for hire. The "youtube hack" (endorsed by Tama & a good player IMO) wasn't "given" the producer position, he paid for it. Any one of those drummers could've returned the money and said "no thanks" but they took it. They now have a boss. I do agree that if someone buckles under pressure or doesn't like people telling them what to play then professional studio work probably isn't for them. They wouldn't get many call backs anyway.

He who writes the check is the boss. Same goes for bandleaders. Unless it's just you and your buddies ripping through tunes at the local bar for tips while your other buddies tell you how awesome you are someone's paying you. The bandleader, the venue, the production company, whoever. They are your boss. Seems self-evident, but maybe not....

great thread!
Agree with all posters and I learned something about ”funk” drumming.
Not surprised how many will work for small $. There are a lot of great drummers out there.

Agree Stephen Taylor is a annoying but the the follow up is valuable;
great lesson in creativity for student drummers as all three drummers parts while different are equally good,
Steely Dan used a few different (great) drummers for reasons shown in this video.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had NO idea that musicians made money this way. YES, some of the drummers weren't very impressive (the get what you pay for idea for sure). Still yet, it gives someone an opportunity to get their skills out there, make some money. I think it's awesome. Especially with live music taking a real SHOT for a While??

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Great educational video and I'm sure the presenter is a nice guy etc etc BUT he's so annoying. Shut up man and let us hear the tracks in peace. I kept cursing him every time he quips in with some unnecessary comment.
Guess ultimately its his channel so he can post what he wants on it.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Complete nonsense. If anyone here thinks that any of these guys are "studio" or "session" musicians, they're mistaken. And that guy's YouTube channel is yet more nonsense. I've tried to watch a few of his videos in the past, and it's really drivel aimed at uninformed people too lazy to work with a local, respected teacher.

Latest posts