Studio head selection

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
New, but ideally seated at least 48 hrs in advance of the session and played on a bit.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Broken in but not too old. You may need to adjust tuning and don't want heads that are too stretched out and limited in their tuning range. You do want the heads to be nicely seated and dialed in to where you think they sound great as a starting point. I think heads sound better once broken in a bit so I like that as a starting point for recording.

TheArchitect

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Judging from the requirement the A list guys seem to have for new heads on a lot of sessions I don't see a need to install days in advance our break them in. Install and tune properly and have at it

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
TheArchitect said:
Judging from the requirement the A list guys seem to have for new heads on a lot of sessions I don't see a need to install days in advance our break them in. Install and tune properly and have at it
Curious..do you work for a studio or cartage company? Is it possible it's simply not practical for them to request it?

Just giving you my experience. The first recording I did I put new heads on the night before the session, and did not play on them at all until the day of. And the heads were changing somewhat radically in the middle of playing during the session. Not ideal. The less re-tuning you have to do the better.

skybear

Reaction score
Put the heads on 2 days before,,Seat the head,,,
Play it... use closed fist to re seat head,, play it, re tune
Good to go..
I strongly advise NOT putting on head same day, or night before,,,
Why??? Because the odds of the heads seating more , or changing pitch is NOT in your Favor,,, But also depends on what kind of sesion it is,, Jazz, metal, rock,, classical,, etc etc and also what kind of heads you use.
I once had a bad experience in the studio when I was young, My first studio gig, for I put New heads on the night before= disaster,,, Time is money in the studio,,, and I ended up Not using My own kit,,, because of the pitch changes,,, BoooooING!!!!
My 2 cents... Bear

TheArchitect

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
thenuge said:
Curious..do you work for a studio or cartage company? Is it possible it's simply not practical for them to request it?

Just giving you my experience. The first recording I did I put new heads on the night before the session, and did not play on them at all until the day of. And the heads were changing somewhat radically in the middle of playing during the session. Not ideal. The less re-tuning you have to do the better.
I have my own very small studio that I run. Generally the same handful of guys coming in a few times a year. Its mostly my mancave these days. I have read more than a few interviews with the a listers where they talk about producers wanting snare heads replaced as often as a few takes , daily etc. It varies of course but clearly they are able to cope with it. Sure a few days to settle in is nice but it can be dealt with

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I do a lot of studio recording and I have never saw the need to put on new heads just for a session. If the drums sound great and hold a tune, then I record. It's as simple as that. I have never had a session engineer or producer that was so finicky that I had to change heads just because. I run my heads until they can no longer produce my desired sound.