Studio pictures

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey guys. Got most all of my drum tracking done for our 2nd album yesterday. It was a blast and a learning experience. I'll be going back after everyone is done to finish any percussion/toys we want to add.

Our first CD was a very simple, basic, worship album. This one is more rock oriented, and more detailed. I had to do way more retakes. One song in particular is just a fast live song. It did not do well for me in studio, but I finally got it down.

I've got 2 double bass 16th patterns on this one song and my double pedal playing was very dragging. Took me a few tries to get it. I also felt like I was doing the same fills on a few songs because I'm so focused on the click and not messing up. Everything fit though.

I took 7 snare drums of all different materials and sizes. We used every snare except for my Ludwig Classic Maple Exotic. The favorites were the black beauty, bell brass, and rosewood. The black beauty and bell brass, our studio guy said just had something magical to them. I agree.

Overall it was a fun day, and I can't wait to get this thing finished!

Drums were my Yamaha recording customs.

Cymbal setup was
15" k dark thin crash over 90s new beat bottom hats
20" K Constantinople medium thin low ride (main crash)
20" K sweet crash
20" A custom efx
24" K light ride

20191212_112247.jpg

20191212_104809.jpg

20191212_104745.jpg

20191212_104733.jpg

20191212_104714.jpg

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you had fun and learned a little...would love to hear those big crashes in context...I'm still in love with 16s...

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Recording session/Recording Custom drums. Just goes right together, don't they? Of course, they do.

Hope you will allow us to hear some of the final product. I'll bet that was a lot of fun.

GeeDeeEmm

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
The MTL ride is just the perfect, big dark main crash I had been looking for. It was previously a 20" crash of doom. While I love it, it doesn't cut as much as I'd like live.

The k sweet is higher pitched giving me a good higher crash and a cymbal for crash riding. Rhr

The efx is my China on the kit without having to be so harsh. I absolutely love it!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What a great set up, looking for ward to the listening party!! I'm sure you nailed it all!

stevesmithfan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey that 24” K Light looks familiar. I traded it to Mr Parker for his 24” A Medium Ride redesign a couple of years ago. I’m glad you’re enjoying your 24 K.
Have a great Christmas!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey that 24” K Light looks familiar. I traded it to Mr Parker for his 24” A Medium Ride redesign a couple of years ago. I’m glad you’re enjoying your 24 K.
Have a great Christmas!
Yes indeed! Absolutely one of my favorite cymbals I've ever owned. Couldn't fit the band any more perfectly! Hope that A medium is treating you well! Merry Christmas!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great set up Adam. You mentioned BB but looks like a blacro
on the stand?
Yeah the first track we did was the more of a live song than studio, and the acro with it's tighter sound won for that track. I took pictures with the acro on the stand.

Snares used were:
14x5 Black Acrolite
14x6.5 Ludwig Black Beauty
14X6.5 Drumcraft Bell Brass
14x6.5 Pearl Sensitone Aluminum
14x6.5 Tama Rosewood
14x7 Pork Pie Cherry Bubinga

Not used was my 14x6.5 Ludwig Classic Maple Exotic

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you still have your Gretsch Bell Brass? If not, were you able to do a side-by-side with the Drumcraft?

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Do you still have your Gretsch Bell Brass? If not, were you able to do a side-by-side with the Drumcraft?
I don't, but I did do a video of them (not side by side) on my YouTube page. I think I prefer the Drumcraft over the Gretsch, but both are amazing. The DC is 6mm and the Gretsch is 3mm. After finally recording with the DC, I feel I'll never part with it. It's just an amazing drum. Heavy, but amazing.

I had both the USA and full range Gretsch bb, and they too were amazing drums. They seemed warmer than the DC. Both cut incredibly well.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really cool - great commentary and pics. Nice collection of studio-worthy gear, you should track more often!