Studio reference monitors? Looking for recomendations

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking for recommendations & advice... What is a good value powered monitor pair in the $500 - $700 range? They will primarily be used for video game sound design but will also be used for film projects too.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the JBL SR305’s. Smaller and less expensive than what you’re looking for, but I love them. For that reason, I’ll third the above recommendation.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of the Kali Lone Pine 6 monitors. For $300 a pair, I have found nothing better. Very flexible with almost no coloration of mixes. For doing video game sound design, you may want to add a sub to go with these. They are light on the lows which is desirable when mixing, IMHO...I've used these primarily for the podcast, but I've mixed full bands with no issues. I also use these for everyday YT surfing and streaming music. They are seriously great and punch far above their price point. I read that the Kali founders worked for and designed the JBL MkII's before starting Kali.

For the record, I have no affiliation to or with Kali. I'm just a REALLY big fan of these monitors.

phdamage

Reaction score
if you're patient, you could find a pair of B&W 805 matrix speakers and an Adcom 535 or something to power them for $700. not self powered, but great for studio monitoring. i've had them for years and I love them - not fatiguing at all. For reference, they're in both studios at Electrical Audio and they had them at Abbey Road for a good while.

ToBBa

Reaction score
It depends a bit on how big and how treated your listening space is. If you have a fairly small space that Isn't purpose built as a listening enviroment i can really recomend the Neumann kh80 dsp.
They are supernice, very natural/flat but still powerfull and have a broad range despite the smaller size. They Come with an app that you can use to '' dial in'' your room so that you get the best controll possible for your listening space.

MusicianMagic

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking for recommendations & advice... What is a good value powered monitor pair in the $500 - $700 range? They will primarily be used for video game sound design but will also be used for film projects too.
People as you see can only post what they own. But there is no correct monitors that works for everyone. You really need to bring music you are familiar with to a store and listen for yourself. I have four different pairs of monitors in my studio. What works for me (Focals & Yamaha MSP) some people that come here don't. I have Rokits just for one that comes here regularly tho I find unnatural & a spiked bass.
Also for video games & especially movies, you should also get some cubes. I use Avantone Mixcubes. You can get just one & use in mono as many do. I do custom music for movies, TV & commercials. You have to mix even for small speakers & devices. Mixing on computer speakers will not work for the same reason you need monitors and not Hi-Fi speakers.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
People as you see can only post what they own. But there is no correct monitors that works for everyone. You really need to bring music you are familiar with to a store and listen for yourself. I have four different pairs of monitors in my studio. What works for me (Focals & Yamaha MSP) some people that come here don't. I have Rokits just for one that comes here regularly tho I find unnatural & a spiked bass.
Also for video games & especially movies, you should also get some cubes. I use Avantone Mixcubes. You can get just one & use in mono as many do. I do custom music for movies, TV & commercials. You have to mix even for small speakers & devices. Mixing on computer speakers will not work for the same reason you need monitors and not Hi-Fi speakers.
That was a perfect answer

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the recommendations and advice. These are for my son, who is just starting his career in sound design (he has a degree in Game Design with a specialty in audio) He is set up in a smallish bedroom and has done all of his work on headphones so far. A studio where he interned has some low budget/overflow film work so he feels its a good time to add monitors. based on the above, he is looking at Kali and JBL. A couple of his friends have the Rockits but he seems to want something different.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
JBL probably holds the crown in reference monitors in general. The price point you're quoting is extremely limiting. The JBL line gets up there pretty quickly but the value is there. I have a set of M2s in my home theater/studio combo. I could only afford those because my best friend was at Harmon at the time.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own Kali, JBL, and Yamaha monitors. At one point, I had a set of KRK's that I hated. I use them all every now and then depending on the situation. The Kali monitors are the "A" monitors for me. I agree, that one's own ears should be the ultimate judge, but when someone asks for recommendations on a forum such as this, it generally means they want to rely on someone else's experiences in subjective judging and cull the candidate list down.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the recommendations and advice. These are for my son, who is just starting his career in sound design (he has a degree in Game Design with a specialty in audio) He is set up in a smallish bedroom and has done all of his work on headphones so far. A studio where he interned has some low budget/overflow film work so he feels its a good time to add monitors. based on the above, he is looking at Kali and JBL. A couple of his friends have the Rockits but he seems to want something different.
With your son's background, I'd imagine he knows what he wants.
Is this a gift, or is he just narrowing down his options?

Ox Han

Reaction score
This youtube channel is the only place I've found useful comparisons for studio monitors. Below is a video comparing the Kali and the JBL LSR305 mkII. I have not used the Kali, but I think the JBL are very hard to beat for the price.

Other than these two, in this price range you could look at the iloud monitors, the yamaha hs5 or hs7, the genelec 8010, focal alpha 50 or 65

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This youtube channel is the only place I've found useful comparisons for studio monitors. Below is a video comparing the Kali and the JBL LSR305 mkII. I have not used the Kali, but I think the JBL are very hard to beat for the price.

Other than these two, in this price range you could look at the iloud monitors, the yamaha hs5 or hs7, the genelec 8010, focal alpha 50 or 65

Thank You