Studio reference monitors? Looking for recomendations

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm about to go with the Kali IN-8 which is a 3-way design and has better midrange clarity than the LP-6. It also has a much wider stereo spread and sweet spot, meaning it sounds good even if you're moving around the room. In addition, it has extended bass down to the sub level, so a sub may not be needed. I think they're a couple hundred more than the LP and probably worth it for the upgrade in sound.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just bought two Fluid Audio FX50 coaxial studio monitors. Small non mainstream (not yet!) US company that makes pro high end level studio audio at very reasonable prices:

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any monitors helps though. I got some KRK used and the mix is way better than my headphones mix.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
Whatever speakers you wind up getting, be sure to spend a lot of time listening to all kinds of familiar music on them before you entrust them to evaluate your own recordings. The most important asset of a monitor speaker is your familiarity with it: the more you know just how the speaker is presenting the recording the more you'll be able to trust in how it presents your own recordings.

No speaker is perfect, which means that no speaker is 100% "honest" — all of them (and I mean all of them) provide a 'presentation' of the recording. The best monitor speaker in the world is of limited usefulness to you if you're not familiar with the particular way it presents a recording. The best way to achieve this familiarity with a new set of monitors is to spend as much time listening to as much different music on them as you can.

I entrust my recordings to a set of Klipsch Cornwall speakers that I've owned for over 35 years. In that time I've spent tens of thousands of hours listening to thousands of different recordings on them. Now, when I listen to recordings I make of my drums through my Cornwalls I know exactly if what I'm hearing is on that recording, or if it's being added (or subtracted) by my speakers. If I were to swap my Cornwalls for a set of $20,000 JBL M2s (the most accurate speaker I ever heard in my 40-year career in the audio business) it would take me a long time before I trusted those M2s like I do my Cornwalls.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's an almost endless journey.
There will always be an upgrade...That's "Probably worth it for the upgrade"
Since the LP-6 was mentioned several times, it made sense to point out that their bigger brother IN-8 is a lot more speaker for only a little more money. Context is everything...

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just bought two Fluid Audio FX50 coaxial studio monitors. Small non mainstream (not yet!) US company that makes pro high end level studio audio at very reasonable prices:
The link doesn't work but I googled and they are well reviewed by the trade mags and forums. They look like a good choice among others here.

Ox Han

Reaction score
Since the LP-6 was mentioned several times, it made sense to point out that their bigger brother IN-8 is a lot more speaker for only a little more money. Context is everything...
bigger ain’t always better. Room is king. It has the biggest influence over sound other than instrument and player. It is the only factor on pre-recorded music/sound coming from a speaker.

Is the OP’s son’s room treated? Is it big or small or in between? In my project studio room I would never want 8” speakers. Too much low end and they need too much volume to get to the sweet spot. YMMV

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
bigger ain’t always better. Room is king. It has the biggest influence over sound other than instrument and player. It is the only factor on pre-recorded music/sound coming from a speaker.

Is the OP’s son’s room treated? Is it big or small or in between? In my project studio room I would never want 8” speakers. Too much low end and they need too much volume to get to the sweet spot. YMMV
I went with 6" speakers for this very reason.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ah, I see you thought I meant they were better for being a larger monitor. Actually what draws me to the IN-8 is their 3-way design with the mid speaker mounted around the high frequency speaker. As a matter of physics, the LP-6 can't perform as well in reproducing midrange as the IN-8. The amount of clarity in that area leaves little doubt if anything is off in the mids, which is arguably the most important range to get right.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
I own Kali, JBL, and Yamaha monitors. At one point, I had a set of KRK's that I hated. I use them all every now and then depending on the situation. The Kali monitors are the "A" monitors for me. I agree, that one's own ears should be the ultimate judge, but when someone asks for recommendations on a forum such as this, it generally means they want to rely on someone else's experiences in subjective judging and cull the candidate list down.
what model Kali do you Have?

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got the Yamaha HS8 with the HS8S sub and I absolutely love them. I got the HS5's for my girlfriend and they sound fantastic with the sub as well and I've heard from some engineers that the 5's are more honest than the 8's.

HS5's <----link

kickassdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got the Yamaha HS8 with the HS8S sub and I absolutely love them. I got the HS5's for my girlfriend and they sound fantastic with the sub as well and I've heard from some engineers that the 5's are more honest than the 8's.

HS5's <----link
I just upgraded to this setup and I'm super happy with it. Nothing is over-accentuated, and everything sounds super clear.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I'm hoping it's ok to jump in here with my own question instead of starting up a new thread. Does anyone have experience with the Tannoy Reveal series? Specifically the 402 model. I've read it had a hiss/noise problem but recent versions have cleared that up. They seem to be pretty flat, which is my goal.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think that hiss is on every new model from what I read and then it get's corrected in a new model. Seems to be an issue in practically every brand. Good thing is that most manufacturers will recognize it and exchange for a newer one as long as you are under warranty. I just got my Fluid FX50'a a couple of days ago and I had read about the early ones having that issue but it got fixed. Mind you, they came out at the end of 2019 and mine have the manufacture date of the first ones but they have zero hissing problems.

Ox Han

Reaction score
All class D monitors apparently hiss with the volume up loud enough. Whatever brand you buy make sure you get from a shop with a good return policy and return them if you’re unhappy.