Studio reference monitors? Looking for recomendations

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping it's ok to jump in here with my own question instead of starting up a new thread. Does anyone have experience with the Tannoy Reveal series? Specifically the 402 model. I've read it had a hiss/noise problem but recent versions have cleared that up. They seem to be pretty flat, which is my goal.
I have them staring at me from my desk right now. Their self-noise is very low so maybe I have a recent model. Overall, they're nice sounding and good enough to bring out detail that I'd missed with home hi-fi speakers. I'd call them relatively flat since nothing stands out in a peaky way, to my ears. They go surprisingly low for little speakers and I like the simple eq switches on the back for room tailoring. The high frequency cut makes them way too dull for me, but that might depend on the room. They don't get very loud but it's ample loudness.

I got them on sale from MF for about $40 off a few years ago. They're a good value IMO, maybe even a sleeper in the world of monitors.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I have them staring at me from my desk right now. Their self-noise is very low so maybe I have a recent model. Overall, they're nice sounding and good enough to bring out detail that I'd missed with home hi-fi speakers. I'd call them relatively flat since nothing stands out in a peaky way, to my ears. They go surprisingly low for little speakers and I like the simple eq switches on the back for room tailoring. The high frequency cut makes them way too dull for me, but that might depend on the room. They don't get very loud but it's ample loudness.

I got them on sale from MF for about $40 off a few years ago. They're a good value IMO, maybe even a sleeper in the world of monitors.
Hey, thanks for the reply! My "studio" is a bedroom in my house that's probably 10x12, so they don't really need to be too loud. Even my 2.1 40W Altec Lansings get plenty loud in that room. I've also considered the 502 because they're only $40 more for the pair and they should get a little lower with the slightly bigger woofer. I guess it's a good thing they're both backordered to give me more time to think about it. I'm leaning to the 502's though. However, the reviews and mentions here are making me look into the Kali LP-6 a bit more. I'm sure I'm overthinking it and I'll probably be happy with those or even the JBL's mentioned earlier.

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d expect the Kali LP-6 to perform better than the Tannoy, but without hearing them I don’t know. Just my impression based on the design ethic at Kali, and the fact that I’ve never seen the internet throngs get excited about Tannoy in general, where the opposite is true for Kali. They seem to be praised everywhere.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I'd prefer to A/B them in person, but it's hard for me to get out of the house with the kiddo in tow and be able to really concentrate without him being a distraction, and you can only tell so much on those YouTube comparison videos between the compression they use plus going through my own speakers.

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate the recommendations and discussion here. Right now, he is "auditioning" the JBL 306p mkii on his rig. So far, he likes them but is experiencing a hiss that he didn't hear on the rockits.
Also, he turned down the low budget film gig. I was surprised to hear that, but he has his reasons...

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Those JBL's are really popular on the budget monitoring forums. I'd considered those too. The hiss seems pretty common in that price range of monitors, regardless of brand. As mentioned above it's the (inexpensive) D-class amp and them trying to push the maximum loudness out of the amp vs trying to lower the noise floor. I'd rather have a lower noise floor and no (or less) hiss than a louder speaker, but there are going to be trade-offs with a $300 pair of monitors. I just ordered the Kali LP-6 and they should be here Monday. They also seemed to have issues with hiss, at least the early runs did. I'll start my own thread after I've had time to review them.

SKINZ

Reaction score
Ive had my Alesis M1 forever Sound Amazing next on list Adamson A7s........ :cool:

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those JBL's are really popular on the budget monitoring forums. I'd considered those too. The hiss seems pretty common in that price range of monitors, regardless of brand. As mentioned above it's the (inexpensive) D-class amp and them trying to push the maximum loudness out of the amp vs trying to lower the noise floor. I'd rather have a lower noise floor and no (or less) hiss than a louder speaker, but there are going to be trade-offs with a $300 pair of monitors. I just ordered the Kali LP-6 and they should be here Monday. They also seemed to have issues with hiss, at least the early runs did. I'll start my own thread after I've had time to review them.
The reasoning Kali gives for the higher amount of self-noise would be a trade off between higher noise or lower distortion over the speaker’s entire range. For the price point, I’ll take the lower distortion. I’m generally not recording classical or acoustic guitar so much as louder electric instruments and drums where the noise floor won’t be heard most of the time.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have a set of IN-8's here by next week. I'll post my impressions if anyone is interested.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
The reasoning Kali gives for the higher amount of self-noise would be a trade off between higher noise or lower distortion over the speaker’s entire range. For the price point, I’ll take the lower distortion. I’m generally not recording classical or acoustic guitar so much as louder electric instruments and drums where the noise floor won’t be heard most of the time.
Yeah, you're right. I think I mixed up some terms or something. I'm hoping it's not too bad of self-noise since these are going to be sitting at my multi-use computer and depending on how loud it is would drive me nuts. Fortunately I believe these have a sleep mode so maybe that shouldn't be too much of a concern. That or I can always plug them into a smart plug or something. And yeah, I'd love to hear a review of the IN-8's when you get them.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you're right. I think I mixed up some terms or something. I'm hoping it's not too bad of self-noise since these are going to be sitting at my multi-use computer and depending on how loud it is would drive me nuts. Fortunately I believe these have a sleep mode so maybe that shouldn't be too much of a concern. That or I can always plug them into a smart plug or something. And yeah, I'd love to hear a review of the IN-8's when you get them.
I use the LP-6 as my main computer listening speakers for YouTube, streaming music, etc. running through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 interface with a Drawmer monitor controller. There is zero discernible "hiss" or noise on my pair and I bought these when they first hit the market. As I'm typing this, I turned the Drawmer up to full volume and leaned into each Kali LP-6 and heard no noise. I could be stone deaf, or not, but I think you'll be very pleased.

IMG_3315.jpg
IMG_8544.jpg

Last edited:

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I use the LP-6 as my main computer listening speakers for YouTube, streaming music, etc. running through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 interface with a Drawmer monitor controller. There is zero discernible "hiss" or noise on my pair and I bought these when they first hit the market. As I'm typing this, I turned the Drawmer up to full volume and leaned into each Kali LP-6 and heard no noise. I could be stone deaf, or not, but I think you'll be very pleased.

View attachment 448959 View attachment 448960
Well that's great to hear (or not hear in this case). I'm just going by what I've read on the forums and in the youtube reviews and like with most reviews people with bad experiences are more likely to comment than those with positive experiences. As you guys can probably tell this is my first time buying a reference monitor. I've had some experience in studio at school and recording my band's albums, but those are usually the big boys, like Genelec, Tannoy, Yamaha NS10, etc. Other than with the Yamahas, I haven't listened to too many nearfield monitors.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just picked these up a couple weeks ago and couldnt be more pleased for the money. We have them in a small treated room, and they perform really well.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well did you get these in??? How do they sound ??? I am interested in purchasing a set ..... :cool: :director:
Yes, they’re here but the table I’m going to put them on won’t do them any justice.

I ordered a pair of speaker isolation platforms which turned out to be too small for them. The right size platforms will be here in a couple of days. Luckily the smaller ones fit my smaller speakers really well so I kept them.

I’ll update soon!

jaymandude

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Late to the party. But the Kali spec sheet shows a drop off at 100, right where I want to hear the bass drum.

Has anyone noticed that ? I'm personally leaning to the Focals, which are almost 2x as much

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, they’re here but the table I’m going to put them on won’t do them any justice.

I ordered a pair of speaker isolation platforms which turned out to be too small for them. The right size platforms will be here in a couple of days. Luckily the smaller ones fit my smaller speakers really well so I kept them.

I’ll update soon!
There was a problem with the new stands, too. But I'll get a review going soon.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Late to the party. But the Kali spec sheet shows a drop off at 100, right where I want to hear the bass drum.

Has anyone noticed that ? I'm personally leaning to the Focals, which are almost 2x as much
Not sure what you're reading, but here's the spec sheet in the manual I got with mine.
20200802_080959.jpg

I hear plenty of bass, and more importantly, it translates well to other speakers. I can feel pretty confident my mixes will sound reasonably good on a variety of speakers.

lemonslush

Reaction score
I have the JBL SR305’s. Smaller and less expensive than what you’re looking for, but I love them. For that reason, I’ll third the above recommendation.
These! hands down for the money you will need to spend a few grand to get something with a flatter off axis response. I have them in my studio and 7 in my bedroom for a atmos setup.