Studio reference monitors? Looking for recomendations

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
These! hands down for the money you will need to spend a few grand to get something with a flatter off axis response.
The Kali monitors mentioned perform extremely well off axis. It would be interesting to compare them to the JBL though. The price point of 305 makes it tempting and they sure have gotten high praise everywhere you look.

jaymandude

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you're reading, but here's the spec sheet in the manual I got with mine.
View attachment 453963

I hear plenty of bass, and more importantly, it translates well to other speakers. I can feel pretty confident my mixes will sound reasonably good on a variety of speakers.
This is what I referring to. Not much I know. But it's right where the bass drum sits. That's in a perfect world of course, my room is far from that :)
Kaliscreenshot.png

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, finally putting up my review of the IN-8 monitors. I've got them setup on their isolation stands now and waiting for the replacement stands for the Tannoys (to explain why the Tannoy aren't setup in the pic) Also waiting for a tv riser that's going to put my Sony receiver under the tv.

First I didn't know my receiver had a 60 Hz (ground) buzz. That would be the first thing IN-8's pointed out. I'll fix that but I still wanted to hear them in the meantime. I went to youtube and played Prince's "Diamonds and Pearls" in 1080p. It sounded good and there was much more detail than I've heard before in that song. Big snare reverb was clear as day, and layers of the arrangement that I'd not heard before. I could almost pick out the preset on the Lexicon reverb. lol But I knew there was a lot of data compression that robbed the song of its detail, so I ventured over to HDtracks where everything is high resolution and uncompressed.

I listened to an album sampler of Mike Shinoda's album "Dropped Frames, Vol. 2" which is very well done electronic and sampled music. The tracks with deep sub bass did not disappoint! The IN-8's go low. The clarity in the mids and highs was the best I've heard from any speaker I've owned yet. Next I went ahead and bought "Bohemian Rhapsody - (The Original Soundtrack)" immediately after hearing "Somebody to Love" in high resolution. I've heard all these tracks before but never sounding this good. You'll often read this in reveiws - it sounded like the singer was right in front of me - but it was true for me. Freddy was right there. lol Also, the speakers didn't struggle at all or sound distorted when I briefly gave them some higher volume. Probably part of the crossover design and the concentric mid driver and tweeter arrangement.

If the IN-8's have a break in time and they're going to get even better, that will be something to hear. As I mentioned above, they're the best monitors I've owned yet. They'd be right up there with the Genelec 1030a (high end studio monitors) I worked with as a studio intern in the 90's, except these probably have better detail in the mids. That's a big compliment to the IN-8's. IN8 pic.jpeg

Last edited:

SKINZ

Reaction score
Ok, finally putting up my review of the IN-8 monitors. I've got them setup on their isolation stands now and waiting for the replacement stands for the Tannoys (to explain why the Tannoy aren't setup in the pic) Also waiting for a tv riser that's going to put my Sony receiver (I like how it sounds or I'd use something else) under the tv.

First I didn't know my receiver had a 60 Hz (ground) buzz. That would be the first thing IN-8's pointed out. I'll fix that but I still wanted to hear them in the meantime. I went to youtube and played Prince's "Diamonds and Pearls" in 1080p. It sounded good and there was much more detail than I've heard before in that song. Big snare reverb was clear as day, and layers of the arrangement that I'd not heard before. I could almost pick out the preset on the Lexicon reverb. lol But I knew there was a lot of data compression that robbed the song of its detail, so I ventured over to HDtracks where everything is high resolution and uncompressed.

I listened to an album sampler of Mike Shinoda's album "Dropped Frames, Vol. 2" which is very well done electronic and sampled music. The tracks with deep sub bass did not disappoint! The IN-8's go low. The clarity in the mids and highs was the best I've heard from any speaker I've owned yet. Next I went ahead and bought "Bohemian Rhapsody - (The Original Soundtrack)" immediately after hearing "Somebody to Love" in high resolution. I've heard all these tracks before but never sounding this good. You'll often read this in reveiws - it sounded like the singer was right in front of me - but it was true for me. Freddy was right there. lol Also, the speakers didn't struggle at all or sound distorted when I briefly gave them some higher volume. Probably part of the crossover design and the concentric mid driver and tweeter arrangement.

If the IN-8's have a break in time and they're going to get even better, that will be something to hear. As I mentioned above, they're the best monitors I've owned yet. They'd be right up there with the Genelec 1030a (high end studio monitors) I worked with as a studio intern in the 90's, except these probably have better detail in the mids. That's a big compliment to the IN-8's. View attachment 454275 View attachment 454275
And the Noise issue that was talked about ??? Quiet ???

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the Noise issue that was talked about ??? Quiet ???
Within 3 feet I can hear a them hissing a little. Up close (within 3 inches) it's loud, but I don't think that's much different from other monitors. From 5 feet a way the hiss is audible but not very. The good thing is, they're meant to be far near-field or mid-field monitors. From 6-8 feet back I can't hear any noise.

I'd think anyone who's bothered by their noise might have different needs than mine. I'm playing these relatively loud (like a somewhat loud conversation level or louder) more than half the time cos I likes it loud.

Even for anyone working mostly on music with very quiet sections often occurring, these would give them a great amount of detail and separation and it's unlikely anything would get lost or obscured by the noise. But you know what.. we're drummers and most of us don't play like Brian Blade in a ballad! Even he's very dynamic and can be loud.

SKINZ

Reaction score
Within 3 feet I can hear a them hissing a little. Up close (within 3 inches) it's loud, but I don't think that's much different from other monitors. From 5 feet a way the hiss is audible but not very. The good thing is, they're meant to be far near-field or mid-field monitors. From 6-8 feet back I can't hear any noise.

I'd think anyone who's bothered by their noise might have different needs than mine. I'm playing these relatively loud (like a somewhat loud conversation level or louder) more than half the time cos I likes it loud.

Even for anyone working mostly on music with very quiet sections often occurring, these would give them a great amount of detail and separation and it's unlikely anything would get lost or obscured by the noise. But you know what.. we're drummers and most of us don't play like Brian Blade in a ballad! Even he's very dynamic and can be loud.
Thanks for insite dude will be ordering from Sweetwater next week .......be a good upgrade from my Alesis Mk 2 ive had forever.....:cool:

SKINZ

Reaction score
I just ordered a pair of Kali IN8s from Sweetwater 2 yr warranty Thanks for review
Cauldronics They will be here Saturday :headbang: :cool:

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I've had the Kali LP-6s for a few weeks now and couldn't be happier with them. The self-noise that I was worried about isn't a problem. I only hear a little buzz if I'm a couple inches away. So far my mixes are faster and more accurate, plus just casual listening is a treat. I also got the Mackie Big Knob to go back and forth with my PC Altec Lansings for A/B'ing plus to switch between my PC and recording interface. Cauldronics, you've been a huge help.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had the Kali LP-6s for a few weeks now and couldn't be happier with them. The self-noise that I was worried about isn't a problem. I only hear a little buzz if I'm a couple inches away. So far my mixes are faster and more accurate, plus just casual listening is a treat. I also got the Mackie Big Knob to go back and forth with my PC Altec Lansings for A/B'ing plus to switch between my PC and recording interface. Cauldronics, you've been a huge help.
I’m glad I was able to help!

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering how much noise my receiver is contributing. When I get my interfaces setup where I’m living now, I’ll be able to tell.

owr

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all, thanks for the responses to the OP, they are helping me out as well. If folks dont mind a slight tangent/hijack, I would love opinions for myself in my current search. Here are my parameters:

1) Purpose will be for a small 8' x 10' personal studio space (heavily treated)
2) Primary use is to amplify a Nord keyboard as well as playback rough mixes of my own drum/keyboard recordings
3) Occasionally may be used to playback pre-recorded material while I play drums, so some volume potential is warranted, but mostly will be doing this sort of thing through isolation head phones
4) I dont want super near field monitors, I'll typically be about 4-5' away from them while listening
5) Wont be doing any significant mixing over them, the space is too small, modal resonances abound despite treatment, so I dont need to overly emphasize a flat response
6) Im willing to expand my budget up to $1000 - $1200 for a pair if it will make a significant difference.

I'll be checking out everything already referenced in this thread. I was planning on getting a pair of QSC K8.2s based on rave reviews from alot of Nord owners. However, seems they may be a bit over-powered for my space/use-case and may be a bit noisy with fans and such for such a small space. They are apparently killer for small gigs and I'd love to have one to double duty as a personal monitor when I gig drums (if that ever happens again), but seems silly to go that way for the studio if it doesnt optimize the primary purpose.

Thanks!

owr

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been doing alot of reading, curious what the Kali knowledgable folks think about the Kali IN8s. Really considering a pair, or the Adam a7x per my post abov guidelines. Wish I could hear them in person.

Edit - just re-read the whole thread and realized lots of folks have been talking about the IN8s this whole time, for some reason I remembered the conversation being about the LP6s. Thanks everyone for sharing.

Last edited:

SKINZ

Reaction score
Been doing alot of reading, curious what the Kali knowledgable folks think about the Kali IN8s. Really considering a pair, or the Adam a7x per my post abov guidelines. Wish I could hear them in person.
I will let u know Monday after mine arrive Kali IN8s.

:cool:

SKINZ

Reaction score
I will let u know Monday after mine arrive Kali IN8s.

:cool:

Well after shipping delay issue they arrived just got them set up new cables WOW very nice..........will update more this evening...after warming them up...... and some Java on ice listening time .............. :headbang: :cool: