Studio reference monitors? Looking for recomendations

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Been doing alot of reading, curious what the Kali knowledgable folks think about the Kali IN8s. Really considering a pair, or the Adam a7x per my post abov guidelines. Wish I could hear them in person.

Edit - just re-read the whole thread and realized lots of folks have been talking about the IN8s this whole time, for some reason I remembered the conversation being about the LP6s. Thanks everyone for sharing.
There was some conversation about the LP6's. That's what I got because of the size of my room and budget. As impressed as I am about those you really can't go wrong with the IN8's.

owr

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm really leaning towards these, looking forward to more reviews from Skinz once he settles in.

I've been buying a bunch form Sweetwater through this event and talked to my guy there. Ive gotten fixated a bit on the Adam A7Xs - but my rep actually tried to talk me out of them for my needs, despite them costing about twice as much. His thought was that the real selling point of the Adam's is their tweeter, which apparently leads to less ear fatigue while sitting in a studio 8 hours a day. Given my needs are about an hour a night after work and putting my kid to bed, he thought the IN8s would be more than sufficient for my purposes. He says folks love them, they get very few returns, and he was planning on buying a pair as soon as he could. His manager may need to work on his up-selling skills, but I really appreciate it and its big reason I keep going back.

There was some conversation about the LP6's. That's what I got because of the size of my room and budget. As impressed as I am about those you really can't go wrong with the IN8's.

SKINZ

Reaction score
Well after shipping delay issue they arrived just got them set up new cables WOW very nice..........will update more this evening...after warming them up...... and some Java on ice listening time .............. :headbang: :cool:
So after an afternoon and evening warming the Kali IN-8 speakers up like u would a gong or cymbal play low volume gradually bring it up with classical jazz edm rock ect....they sound AMAZING wide stereo field natural space, warm, tight bass ...there is AIR in these monitors .....Cauldronics nearfield far field description is spot on... also zero noise out of them .....Excellent value purchase for the price I am stoked... :cool: Used with my Motu Audio Express and Motu 8 Pre

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't have any doubt that you or anyone getting acquainted with the IN-8 would quickly find them remarkable.

They are very clear and honest, much more than my JBL LSR28P which are fun to listen to, but they flatter whatever is being played. The IN-8s are far more honest. When something sounds off, that's because it is, and it's much easier to pick out. The clarity is outstanding. The off-axis playback is very, very good too. You can be really far outside of the sweet spot and still hear everything cleanly. Other speakers it feels like you're trapped in their zone until you're done working on something. This really helps if you're working on material and you need to move around the room to play a keyboard or an instrument that can't be setup close to your mixing station.

I'm saving up to get the sub, because although I'm impressed with the depth of lows from the IN-8, I want it to keep going, but I can hear it dropping off. There's more THERE in there. The sub can hit 23 Hz and still be pumping...

SKINZ

Reaction score
I didn't have any doubt that you or anyone getting acquainted with the IN-8 would quickly find them remarkable.

They are very clear and honest, much more than my JBL LSR28P which are fun to listen to, but they flatter whatever is being played. The IN-8s are far more honest. When something sounds off, that's because it is, and it's much easier to pick out. The clarity is outstanding. The off-axis playback is very, very good too. You can be really far outside of the sweet spot and still hear everything cleanly. Other speakers it feels like you're trapped in their zone until you're done working on something. This really helps if you're working on material and you need to move around the room to play a keyboard or an instrument that can't be setup close to your mixing station.

I'm saving up to get the sub, because although I'm impressed with the depth of lows from the IN-8, I want it to keep going, but I can hear it dropping off. There's more THERE in there. The sub can hit 23 Hz and still be pumping...

Im sweeting spotting right now listening to some of my own Ambient Fusion recordings I am mixing working on and again The clarity is outstanding. Thanks dude for all the info n heads up on these Sweetwater has 2 yr warranty on them ....... :headbang:

SKINZ

Reaction score
So after an afternoon and evening warming the Kali IN-8 speakers up like u would a gong or cymbal play low volume gradually bring it up with classical jazz edm rock ect....they sound AMAZING wide stereo field natural space, warm, tight bass ...there is AIR in these monitors .....Cauldronics nearfield far field description is spot on... also zero noise out of them .....Excellent value purchase for the price I am stoked... :cool: Used with my Motu Audio Express and Motu 8 Pre

Also Zero fatigue listening ..............:cool:

jaymandude

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're so edgy :rolleyes:
He can also make his own drum set for 1/4 of the cost with parts from Drum Factory Direct. Why buy Gretsch anyway ?

( edit, just so you know. I'm being facetious. You can't build a Broadcaster kit for $750)

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some things, like Macs, are only overpriced if you don't value your time. With instruments and gear, you can usually get get great results out of inexpensive stuff if you have enough time to tweak and experiment. But what is your time worth? Not everyone will have the same answer to that question, and that is OK.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some things, like Macs, are only overpriced if you don't value your time. With instruments and gear, you can usually get get great results out of inexpensive stuff if you have enough time to tweak and experiment. But what is your time worth? Not everyone will have the same answer to that question, and that is OK.
Agreed. It depends on what you’re used to. People who grew up with PCs and aren’t really Mac savvy can offen fly around on their machines equally to what a Mac person can do, but I’d say that’s not the general rule.

I’ve seen some real train wreck audio engineering from those who switch to PC from a Mac. Macs do have a faster, more intuitive workflow by design.

Great results can be made on either. It’s all about the pilot.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I've been using PC's for nearly 30 years and building them for almost 25, plus various IT work since the late 90's. Put me on a Mac and I can figure it out but it's not as intuitive to me since I'm so used to the way Windows works. But, I know Mac is the standard for audio/video/multimedia and know why people pay the prices for the gear.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
Once you open a program that's available for both Mac and PC the differences between the platforms becomes virtually non-existent. I've worked with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator on both PCs and Macs since around 1989, and those two programs work about 98% identically within the two platforms. I would imagine that the same goes for most DAW programs, although the only one I have experience with on both Mac and PC is PreSonus Studio One Producer, v2.8: I run it on a PC while a good friend runs it on his Mac. It works essentially identically on the two (except that his friggin' Mac mouse lacks a right-click button, which is a definite negative as far as I'm concerned).

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can use a mouse with two buttons on a Mac.

It's not just the application though. The windows drivers for audio hardware are usually awful which affects performance and stability. There's too much troubleshooting you have to do at way too many points every time you get a new piece of gear or software. Sure, you can usually get it to work just fine, but the Mac is TRULY plug and play. Windows just isn't. A lot of the new higher end interfaces are Thunderbolt too, good luck with stable drivers on Windows.

I'm not a Mac fanboy either. I use both Mac and Windows. Truth be told, I'd rather use Linux because that's what's made me a living for the past 20 years, but I know the software and drivers just aren't there for how I want to work.

I run Ableton Live on both for live audio playback for backing tracks, clicks, and cues. In both cases, I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett. The Windows computer was just a pain to set up properly. I had to go through driver changes (ASIO, DirectX, etc) and other experiments get one that performed properly. And I'm not sure if it's because the computer goes to sleep, but leave it on and come back to it the next day, you have to reboot it to get the interface to work again. Had a similar but different driver issue with Windows and a MIDI keyboard VST from Addictive Keys. This is basically the Windows audio experience. Now give this to someone less savvy to operate, and you've got more problems.

I don't want this to be true. Believe me, I dislike Apple and Microsoft equally. But I have learned over the years that you just use the right tool for the right job. Right now, that's a Mac.

Glenn Fricker (he has a very popular audio engineering channel Spectre Sound Studios) was a long time Windows holdout. Always built his own computers, chose the most stable components. Very, comfortable with Windows and didn't want to change. He recently made the switch because the busier he got with everything, especially the exploding success of his channel, he just didn't have time to deal with the BS anymore. I don't either.

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
Macs haven't had a single button mouse for over 15 years.

And as Tornado said, the performance and ease-of-use is often wildly different, even on "cross-platform" programs.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Macs haven't had a single button mouse for over 15 years.
Yeah, but almost any mouse can be used with a PC or Mac. I strongly dislike one button mice and have always used either a cue ball mouse with 10 buttons or a 4 button mouse. The programmable mice are great for a DAW.

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
Yeah, but almost any mouse can be used with a PC or Mac. I strongly dislike one button mice and have always used either a cue ball mouse with 10 buttons or a 4 button mouse. The programmable mice are great for a DAW.
True -- but I was saying that Apple has only done two-button (or more) mice since 2005. :) (I'm agreeing with you)

hsosdrum

Reaction score
...I run Ableton Live on both for live audio playback for backing tracks, clicks, and cues. In both cases, I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett. The Windows computer was just a pain to set up properly. I had to go through driver changes (ASIO, DirectX, etc) and other experiments get one that performed properly. And I'm not sure if it's because the computer goes to sleep, but leave it on and come back to it the next day, you have to reboot it to get the interface to work again. Had a similar but different driver issue with Windows and a MIDI keyboard VST from Addictive Keys. This is basically the Windows audio experience. Now give this to someone less savvy to operate, and you've got more problems...
I've only run Acid Pro 6 and 6.5 and PreSonus StudioOne and probably haven't stressed my system as you may have stressed yours but I've never had a single issue with ASIO drivers, or any of the other problems you mention. I use a PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL with a DigiMax D8 for my interface, and never had a problem with their Windows drivers either; all my Windows VST programs and MIDI stuff have worked without a hitch from day one (over 12 years now).

My Windows experience has been just what you describe for the Mac: plug-and-play. (I know, I know, I'm jinxing myself now...)