Stuff to get for home studio

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Seriously thinking of setting up a simple home studio to record drum tracks. What specific gear (as well as software) do you recommend getting for this setup? I’m interested in doing tracks remotely, and not concerned with having a setup for other instruments.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Computer ... good storage and plenty of memory and a big clear display
DAWS ... one that is comfortable to work in
Mics and cables ... whatever you can afford
Room ... research this
Wife ... very understanding and supportive

Personally, I use a Mac and Mac software ... twin displays, Final Cut Pro (video) and Logic Pro X (audio). The machines are built specifically for audio and video work ... I do quite a bit of V.O. work in film animation and daily Radio spots alongside my goofy drumming so I require a very comfortable station and the Mac provides a spectacular working environment.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Whatever you do, don’t forget to budget for smaller items like cables, mic stands, clips, and other accessories. They often get forgotten when pricing out the bigger items. Have fun!

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m running Pro Tools on an older MacBook Pro using an Audient iD14 interface w/an older Presonus Digimax FS 8 channel mic pre connected via ADAT optical cable. Sounds much better than the old Digi 003 interface I’ve had for 8-9 years. The Audient stuff sounds incredible for the $$.

jakeo

Reaction score
Just make sure what you get is expandable. Things change and you may at some point need more inputs. Also be prepared to do a lot of reading and Youtube video watching. What you would think is simple, at least for me, ain't so simple lol.

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My little studio is PC-based. If you go that route, I highly recommend Reaper for mixing (and even mastering).

Put a lot of thought into setting up a convenient way of switching pathways and what is routed to the speakers. Sometimes you'll be playing back what's on the computer, other times you'll be routing things TO the computer. If you have to keep unplugging and plugging in cables every time you switch sources or directions, that's a pain.
Get monitor speakers rather than home speakers. But also have some decent small computer monitors as a sanity check on your mixes (since that is likely what most customers will listen through).
Whatever you do, don't try to mix using headphones.
If you anticipate wanting to capture from old tapes, vinyl, etc., invest in high quality decks, high quality stylii, and keep them serviced/tuned.
You''ll need at least a few very good mics. That's a whole other topic.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
GOOD MONITORS. And everything else mentioned here. It adds up quick.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
IMO invest in hardware not software. Audacity is free and it works just as well as the expensive programs, for home studio purposes. And for now, don’t bother buying the traditional studio processors like EQ, compressor, tube preamp, and other tone devices; you can add those effects “in the box” post recording.

Focus on the pure basics: mics, interfaces, monitors, room acoustic treatments, and the computer itself.

Johnny K

Reaction score
I'll be specific with what I got. All purchased from a brick and mortar store unless noted.

Daw: Ableton Live Lite 9 (free with a previous purchase of a Scarlett Solo interface)
Interface: Behringer UMC404HD 4 channel interface (came with a free version of Pro Tools; dont bother) 100.00
(2) AKG P120 Large Diaphram condenser mics for overheads 200.00 +/-
(2) shock mounts for AKG mics 50.00 amazon
(1) Shure SM57 Dynamic instrument mic for the snare 97.00
(1) CAD KBM412 Dynamic mic for the kick drum 65.00 (used, music store)
(2) large boom stands for overheads 80.00
(2) small boom stands for snare & kick 50.00
(4) 20' Hi-Z mic cables 100.00 +/-
(2) 6" M-Audio Bx5 Studio Monitors 85.00 pair (used, FB Marketplace)
(2) Monitor Stands 50.00 amazon
(2) Hi-Z speaker cables 30.00
(1) Furman power conditioner/surge strip 55.00

Less than 1000 dollars in specific gear. Computer not included in cost. FWIW I use a desktop Powerspec PC with a 3+ gHZ quad core processor & SSD hard drive.

I am looking into a Macbook to do this. PCs suck at the DAW'ing. I know squat about Macs.

Countless hours spent figuring it all out and still learning.

What is the least expensive Macbook that will record?

Last edited:

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Johnny K -

Any mac from the last few years should be able to be the centerpiece of a modest home studio....

Why do "PC's suck at the DAWing"???

I know, why they used to - and how that left a whole generation of users married to our macs (because for years and years there was no professionally viable alternative). But my understanding is that is pretty much a thing of the past. Just curious as to how your experience was contrary to that?

Johnny K

Reaction score
Johnny K -

Any mac from the last few years should be able to be the centerpiece of a modest home studio....

Why do "PC's suck at the DAWing"???

I know, why they used to - and how that left a whole generation of users married to our macs (because for years and years there was no professionally viable alternative). But my understanding is that is pretty much a thing of the past. Just curious as to how your experience was contrary to that?
Thanks I'll keep an eye on FB Marketplace for someone unloading one cheap.

They dont suck at the mixing, but I have intermitten issues when live tracking. Maybe its just ME. Im currently using a pc with an Intel quad core i7 running at 3+ gHZ and 16Gig of RAM and 500gig SSD. It will hiccup while playing back the wav file backing track on one strip while I'm recording 4 simultaneous tracks on 4 other strips.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks I'll keep an eye on FB Marketplace for someone unloading one cheap.

They dont suck at the mixing, but I have intermitten issues when live tracking. Maybe its just ME. Im currently using a pc with an Intel quad core i7 running at 3+ gHZ and 16Gig of RAM and 500gig SSD. It will hiccup while playing back the wav file backing track on one strip while I'm recording 4 simultaneous tracks on 4 other strips.
Is it a latency issue? What data path are you putting it through?
i.e. USB, FIREWIRE, ETC

Johnny K

Reaction score
Most likely a latency issue. USB data path is very narrow for pushing through multitrack work.
Hmmm. USB 2.0 only, on the UMC404HD interface. We then...I guess I'll live with it until i have money to spring for a better interface.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I already have a Focusrite interface that I use to trigger my Roland E-kit into Superior Drummer. Would all I would need to run mics from my acoustic kit into the interface be a mic pre unit with enough inputs?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Every separate signal needs its own interface channel. If you get a rack unit with a bunch of mic pre's and they all have their own analog output, then how are they going into your interface? On the other hand, if the rack unit is also a mixer that can sum all the inputs to one output, then boom: plug that one output into your interface.

These days, it's almost cheaper to buy an 8-channel interface with mic pre's built in, than to buy mic pre's by themselves.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Every separate signal needs its own interface channel. If you get a rack unit with a bunch of mic pre's and they all have their own analog output, then how are they going into your interface? On the other hand, if the rack unit is also a mixer that can sum all the inputs to one output, then boom: plug that one output into your interface.

These days, it's almost cheaper to buy an 8-channel interface with mic pre's built in, than to buy mic pre's by themselves.
So I'd need something along the lines of a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20?