Stupid Deal of the Day (7/12) Simmons kit w/Mesh Pads

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have no experience with this particular kit but the fact that the regular price is only $349 doesn't instill a lot of confidence in terms of the quality of the components. I've owned several electronic kits from 1985 until recently and based on my experience, you get what you pay for. Personally, I would shy away from any e-kit that is this inexpensive.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
At $350 the brain is probably not incredible. But 5 mesh pads for $50 each still ain't a bad deal, if you only had a brain.

dje31

Reaction score
Well, I recently picked up the Simmons SD2000XP on clearance for really cheap. It actually has input from Dave Simmons, the original owner of Simmons, and I love that kit. It's basically got almost all of the functionality of the old flagship SDX and then some, for a fraction of the original price. I've been meaning to post on it, but work has me swamped.

The SD550 may be another issue, with no Simmons input, but the SD600 may have some overlap...but not a SDotD.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Depends on your needs...

Can't expect too much brain functionality for $350. Does it make a decent noise when I hit the pad? Does it trigger with some consistency and accuracy? For $250 might work as a decent practice kit then.

Personally, I have never came close to using the "functionality" of a Roland module (I have or have had the td6\6v, td8, and td12) and never would for my needs. 50 kits? Micro adjustment triggering...velocity, 100 built in tracks....900 cymbals...."bah".

Drop the gimmick kits, sewuencing, and the malarky, give me accurate consistent triggering 10 or 15 usable kits with a few options and leave me alone... Don't have the time or desire to learn and re-learn all that crapola. I will use that time to develop my skills on a real kit. Lol.

Wait....did that just turn into a RANT!?

Sorry....yea...$250 bucks may just be a great deal!

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I think five good kits would be fine. But in order to get 5 good ones you'd need about 300. I know the sounds on my DTX were not aimed at people like me. Perhaps they figure I'm a lost cause.

Latest posts