Stupid vintage Ludwig Parts question

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I tore apart a 1968 Ludwig Keystone 22 inch bass drum last nite to the clean up the parts and I am in the process of reassembling it.

However, I have these two parts and have no clue what they are for. The drum has 20 lugs, two leg brackets, a third bracket ad a cymbal holder, and a vintage L mount. I just don't know where these parts go. I thought I only had one and maybe it was just a mystery piece, but I have two of them. The cymbal bracket is missing the Wingnut and the internal screw mechanism so if it belongs to those parts, it will likely be the two leg bracket.

However, I don't know and any help would be appreciated. Happy Sunday and thank you....

20190811_075542.jpg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
You're on the right track - These slip over the spurs as you put them in the mounts, so they can't come out accidentally.
So I'm now at the point where I am installing the brackets. I'm a little confused where these things go. I assume it goes inside the bracket. Does it go in the section Pre eye bolt or does it go in after the eye bolt? I would think between the eye bolt and where you insert the leg but I don't know. Also, it does not fit over the leg. I suppose I could jam it and it would work.....thank you.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well I tried it both ways and it didn't really make a difference. I put it after the eye bolt and I totally get what it does and it seems to work fine. Thank you...

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
I don't think it matters where in the housing it goes, so long as it fits - it's a snug fit over the spur, but that's the idea. I think the only hard rule at the Ludwig factory was "No Brown Liquors Allowed Over Lunch Break" next to the time clock, and even that had exceptions for birthdays.

(Looks at my Sep '65 kit with the kick badge 3/4" off-center)

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thank you, P83 - that's just how I did it......better to be lucky than good!

Unfortunately, the 13" rack tom has the wrench nut mount, not a wing nut (so it's just "sitting" on the bass) - I need to find my crescent wrench.....the fun just never ends!

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
a few months ago this was a topic on a facebook page, and even after i showed an example, people said the part was something else.

View attachment 405975
I recently acquired a set of mounts with spurs and was surprised to see this arrangement. I though adding the clip was the previous owner's hack but I guess it was what Ludwig did for a while.