Style of drumming you listen to vs how you play.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So I'm not sure if this is common or not but the preferred music I listen to in no way reflects my playing style. My absolute favorite band is rush, so you all know how crazy busy neil's drumming is and that while it fits perfectly for their music he doesn't always play syncopated or relaxes into a groove for long before he changes up what he's doing. I also love primus, pantera, tool, and other drummers with a very busy style. However when I go to play, either with a pre recorded track or original material with other musicians I prefer to keep it simple and have no problem just sitting in the groove, usually syncopated with the bass. I keep my fills from becoming overly busy and work more on patterns that compliment the overall pattern of the song instead of trying to get to flashy. It's just something I've noticed about myself. Anybody else do the same?

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yup. Within the last few years got heavily into Porcupine Tree, which led to Steven Wilson’s solo work. I also love funk and jazz.

My current gig is playing in church with just a piano player - some Contemporary Christian and a lot of old hymns. No fills, and lots of brushes. :)

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Listen to lots of prog like King Crimson, Rush, Steven Wilson as well as jazz, and improvised rock like Stick Men, Markus Reuter and artists on Moonjune Records, but I play pop, country and reggae in one band and Celtic in another.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a great question, Drm1979.

Over the years I’ve probably listened to more jazz than any other style, although I never play it. My bands have been pop, funk, or rock, in varying permutations.

Why is this? What I lack in skill, speed and musicianship in my playing, I more than make up for in depth of my artistic tastes. Or so I tell myself.

Also garage bands that play jazz are kind of a rarity.

Lastly, where I come from there were not as many promiscuous young women who were into jazz. I know that’s a crass statement but somebody had to say it. The muses take many forms.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I always got into the progressive stuff but always played the hits. Night and day.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Outstanding topic.
I usually listen to music that helps me relax and enjoy the day.
I play ... pretty much everything ... just not all that well. Hahahahaha

m_anderson

Reaction score
I try to book it, but I play along with music a lot because it's fun and also good practice. There is nothing I won't at least try to play. My mood has everything to do with it. Sometimes I'll struggle through stuff I know I can't play. Doesn't matter what it sounds like, it's good exercise. Sometimes I play things I used to play very well to get my chops back in shape and prove I can still do it. Sometimes I pick simple and straight with no fills just to work on my meter. Different modes for different moods.

Jay_M

Reaction score
Interesting topic. I play primarily funk/soul/hip-hop/breakbeats but the stuff that lights a fire under me most is probably post-bop. But the funk I'm playing is primarily late 60s/early 70s stuff and most of those cats grew up on Elvin, Max, Philly Joe, Joe Dukes, Kenny Clarke, DeJohnette, Al Foster, Blakey, etc. George Brown (Kool & the Gang), James Black, Zig (Meters), Mike Clark, Purdie, Funk Bros...a lot of jazz language in their stuff. Even for rock, my favorite is Mitch Mitchell and he's got a lot of Elvin going on. So the nuances in the funk come from jazz, even the swing. But all that said I've probably played an actual ride beat for a total out 20 seconds on stage/in studio at most in my entire time playing and I wouldn't be confident swinging for any length of time with anyone serious.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s cool to see others into Steven Wilson .
I’m a Progguy at heart . Can’t play most of what I love correctly though .

But I really love all music and consider myself
pretty versatile considering my band history.
I would have no idea how to express how I play .

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What a great question, Drm1979.

Over the years I’ve probably listened to more jazz than any other style, although I never play it. My bands have been pop, funk, or rock, in varying permutations.

Why is this? What I lack in skill, speed and musicianship in my playing, I more than make up for in depth of my artistic tastes. Or so I tell myself.

Also garage bands that play jazz are kind of a rarity.

Lastly, where I come from there were not as many promiscuous young women who were into jazz. I know that’s a crass statement but somebody had to say it. The muses take many forms.
Your last part about young women made me chuckle.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I listen to a lot of music that I would not want to play. Early bebop is a good example. However, I always absorb something that I wind up using on the stuff that I do play. Not necessarily much, but tidbits here and there.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Aren't kind of just talking about playing what's appropriate for the music? Why would listening to a lot of Coltrane have any effect on how I'm going to play on a country session?

I played with Burt Bacharach for 30 years - and I basically never listened to that music. I was familiar with it, versed in how to play it... but it was never music I throughly immersed myself in specifically.

But I don't think that's any different than the way Gavin Harrison would approach blues gig. And I know the way he can played has little to do with Vinnie will play on a given gig.

I think it got back to the concept of being able to "choose what to play". The reason for acquiring chops and facility and knowledge is so, when the time to play comes, I'm in charge of what gets played. Preferably to have the facility to be to execute what ever it is I think will make the music sound good.

So to address the OP - I play all sorts of music that I rarely seek out listening to.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I listen to Bonzo, Tommy Aldridge and Stewart Copeland, but I play more like Simon Kirke or Phil Rudd.

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
So I'm not sure if this is common or not but the preferred music I listen to in no way reflects my playing style. My absolute favorite band is rush, so you all know how crazy busy neil's drumming is and that while it fits perfectly for their music he doesn't always play syncopated or relaxes into a groove for long before he changes up what he's doing. I also love primus, pantera, tool, and other drummers with a very busy style. However when I go to play, either with a pre recorded track or original material with other musicians I prefer to keep it simple and have no problem just sitting in the groove, usually syncopated with the bass. I keep my fills from becoming overly busy and work more on patterns that compliment the overall pattern of the song instead of trying to get to flashy. It's just something I've noticed about myself. Anybody else do the same?
You basically described my musical taste in terms of listening and how I play, so I hear what you are saying.
I would add what has served me the most, in almost whatever style of band I end up in, was my tenure in a blues and funk band, where I was immersed in a lot Motown and 60-70s blues. Whatever amount of that sensibility I picked up has definitely helped my sense of groove and time no matter what I'm playing.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
When I listen to music I don't concentrate on styles of drumming, I concentrate on drummers who have an individual voice on the instrument. Someone like Art Blakey or Bill Bruford, who's playing I can usually spot after less than eight bars gets my attention because they so strongly project who they are through the instrument. The list runs from Gene, Papa Jo and Buddy to Max, Art and Elvin, to Ringo, Ginger and Bonzo, and Tony, Cobham, Simon Philips and Bruford, all the way through to Neil, and with hundreds of by-ways and side trips along the way.

Over the past 50+ years I've taken what I've heard from these drumming masters and put it through my unique emotional filter in the hope of creating something that is at once my own, and at the same time is tied to all the drumming that has ever influenced me. I want my style to be unique and identifiable, while at the same time I want to be able to adapt it to fit whatever music I choose to play. I don't always succeed at all this, but it's what I shoot for whenever I sit down at my drums.

MetalDoucheRuddfan1223

Reaction score
My style is mostly wild mixed with basic backbea't drumming and laying it down on the golden standard 2x4'' beat.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Of course this all assumes the Pre Pandemic Age.

The Music I Listen To (but first a confession): Despite being a drummer whose favorites feature show-stopping drummers, I absolutely never listen to music for the drummers. Prog and Jazz, e.g. Genesis (and soloists), Tull, Kate Bush, Dave Brubeck Quartet, etc. on heaviest rotation.

The Music I’m Asked to Play: Modern Worship in church, but in my own style. Our worship director is wonderful in that I totally never realized recorded modern worship drumming is overrun with that aimless, muddy Tom Tom stuff, and he’s never once brought it up when I've brought my own approach of a poor man’s Steely Dan, “make-them-FEEL-the music-by-the-notes–you-DON’T-play / 2 and 4 kind of thing.

Bonus: The only music I ever want to hear after drumming myself is very often music with no kit drumming whatsoever. 12 string guitar, solo piano from romantic composers, orchestral.

Last edited:

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For the most part, I tend to listen to what I like to play. I generally like music that energizes me to pick up my sticks and get at it. Unfortunately, it also limits my listening range somewhat.

I will listen to film scores too, usually while working or reading.

I listen to jazz and some blues and oldies when I'm lucky enough to spend time with my fiance. We slow dance to just about everything under the sun...except for the music that makes me want to play. LOL