Style of drumming you listen to vs how you play.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love listening to technical drummers/drumming (Dave Weckl!), but I in no way ever aspire to be a technical drummer, nor would playing in a progressive jazz/rock band ever appeal to me. I like to listen to Mahavishnu, Weckl, Return to Forever, and the like, and that's it.

Otherwise, I play what I listen to: Bebop jazz, hardcore punk and power pop.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Aren't kind of just talking about playing what's appropriate for the music?
In a nutshell, yes. At this point in my life, I listen more to music that inspires me more often than I hone in on particular players. I’ve finally come around to playing in a band that plays a swath of music that I would normally actively listen to (a horn band that does Chicago, EWF, TOP, and some great current pop). But yes, playing for the song, regardless of the style you gravitate toward, always wins.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
I listen to a fairly wide range of genres, usually going back and forth between two, primarily, at any given time. But I do believe in roots, and what got me into drumming was soul music and funk, and no matter what I play there's a little bit or a lot of that in it. Even prog., which I listen to quite a bit lately for the attitude and physicality of the drumming. I think those two attributes fit funk pretty well.