Sugar Percussion

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've only heard of them because Steve Gorman started using them a couple of years ago. They seem like great drums, but at that price point I'd probably go with a bigger name.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I follow them on Instagram. Consistently very beautiful drums to look at, and at least in the photos the construction quality looks sharp. But I have no hands-on with them yet.

jskdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine owns a high end studio here in Vegas & is a great drummer to boot. He's been raving to me about these drums & will be adding 1 of their kits to his drum closet.

apcpa2000

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I too have been following them because if Steve Gormon. Thinking that down the road I will want to add one of their snares. I don't have a stave snare yet.

damespointkid

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on a Yellow Alaskan Cedar like the one in this video. It sounds exactly like this.

It's incredibly musical and sensitive. By far the best wood snare I own. She really shines in the studio as well.
Highly recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I discovered Sugar Percussion while trying to figure out what snare drum Alan Evans was playing all the time.

Good interview here with Nick.

Last edited by a moderator:

killdrum

Reaction score
I was watching the videos and I thought in the last video he said he has a 17" floor tom.
Do they make a 17" head?

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've seen failure on single point lugs, so that might deter me.

But the drums look good and they certainly have their hype machine in full swing..

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Some of the marketing is a little off putting to me for some reason ...I don't know I guess I'm just like...it's a drum...owning one doesn't really make you part of a family...maybe I'm just synical though. As far as the design and sound though I think they are def wonderful.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
JCKLudwig said:
Some of the marketing is a little off putting to me for some reason ...I don't know I guess I'm just like...it's a drum...owning one doesn't really make you part of a family...maybe I'm just synical though.
Here's the thing though, it works! You should see all the fawning posts from his "family" on social media. He has built a brand where people are not just willing but eager to buy in and feel like they are part of a family.

I see this a lot nowadays. It's the key to brand success. See the two forbidden subjects of this forum for prime examples. ;)

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
bongomania said:
Some of the marketing is a little off putting to me for some reason ...I don't know I guess I'm just like...it's a drum...owning one doesn't really make you part of a family...maybe I'm just synical though.
Here's the thing though, it works! You should see all the fawning posts from his "family" on social media. He has built a brand where people are not just willing but eager to buy in and feel like they are part of a family.

I see this a lot nowadays. It's the key to brand success. See the two forbidden subjects of this forum for prime examples. ;)
Oh I agree. I get it. I'm just saying it puts me off. Feels kind of gimmicky to me. Not my vibe

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got to try a Sugar snare drum at Sweetwater a couple of years ago, it sounded amazing. I've yet to buy one, but they are definitely on my radar.

Latest posts