Suggest A Good Book For Learning Latin Rhythms

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
My girlfriend's daughter has been taking drum lessons for about 4-5 years, and has gotten pretty good.

Recently, she's been wanting to learn how to play Latin rhythms on the drum set. She does have a drum teacher that is an Associate Professor at Akron University, and is looking for a book that she can take to her lessons.

Can anyone suggest a good book to learn Latin Rhythms?

Last edited:

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
You can print up most anything on line these days, as well as going to youtube. I learned the bossa and samba rhythms doing just that.

Groov-E

Reaction score
Mikeslessons.com

You get both transcript, video and play-along.

You can also learn other world grooves and improve timing, hand and foot speeed, independance, etc.

I can say in all honesty my drumming improved 1000% since I joined 5 or 6 years ago.

I highly recommend it.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials Bk 1.
Book and CD for play alongs.

It covers pretty much ALL of the different world (Latin) grooves as well as some variations and gives you a song to play along with in the style.

* I recommend the DVD as well as Tommy is able to tell you a few details that can't be written as well as demonstrating the rhythms.

** I also recently discovered that I can use the play along CD in with the Free Yamaha Record and Share app. That way if some of the songs are too fast you can slow them down and still play along. (or speed them up depending on what you are ready for)

m_anderson

Reaction score
I cannot suggest a book, but I can offer this, and there is a short story behind it.

I started taking lessons from my primary drum teacher when I was fourteen years old, 1974. We were fast friends until he passed away three years ago. I was visiting him one day when I was about twenty-four, and I said to him "I wish I had all of the basic latin rhythms written out so I could study and play them properly". Bill grabbed a pencil and a sheet of blank music paper, and he scripted this in mere moments. He wrote it down so fast I was mesmerized.

I have been meaning to have this copied for quite some time, however, because of your post, I ran out and did it this morning. So this is especially for you. I hope it helps. And I hope the rest of the forum can make use of it. Bill would be happy that I passed this along.

kdgrissom

Reaction score
These have been a big help to me over the years....

"Latin Rhythms for Drums and Timbales" -Ted Reed (1950-60's commercial styles)
yes, very dated, but lots of variation practice with cowbell patterns.

"Latin Guide for Drummers" -John Rae (Try Publ.) (1950-70's small group-Big Band styles)
Solid primer with lots of inside dope. Good Bossa Nova variations)

"Afro-Caribbean and Brazilian Rhythms for the Drums" -The Collective (carl Fischer)
Good explanations and background and comes with 2 CD's.

"Afro-Caribbean Grooves for Drumset" -Jean-Philippe Fanfant (Sher Music Co)
Chapters organized by Country, history and prominent Rhythms. CD included.
In French and English.

Dave HCV

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I cannot suggest a book, but I can offer this, and there is a short story behind it.

I started taking lessons from my primary drum teacher when I was fourteen years old, 1974. We were fast friends until he passed away three years ago. I was visiting him one day when I was about twenty-four, and I said to him "I wish I had all of the basic latin rhythms written out so I could study and play them properly". Bill grabbed a pencil and a sheet of blank music paper, and he scripted this in mere moments. He wrote it down so fast I was mesmerized.

I have been meaning to have this copied for quite some time, however, because of your post, I ran out and did it this morning. So this is especially for you. I hope it helps. And I hope the rest of the forum can make use of it. Bill would be happy that I passed this along.

These groove notations illustrate one of the aspects of the difficulty of learning Latin music. If you look at some of the other references discussed in this thread, you'll find other versions of these grooves. The bottom line is that there are often a number of different ways to play a cha-cha, a rumba, or whatever. Sometimes it's best to learn a couple of different versions for each style so you can play what fits best for the specific tune.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These groove notations illustrate one of the aspects of the difficulty of learning Latin music. If you look at some of the other references discussed in this thread, you'll find other versions of these grooves. The bottom line is that there are often a number of different ways to play a cha-cha, a rumba, or whatever. Sometimes it's best to learn a couple of different versions for each style so you can play what fits best for the specific tune.
I never got past the hurdle of being able to play those patterns from the books and actually doing anything musical or improvisational with them. It's a deep chasm to cross. I blame it on my unwillingness to immerse myself into the essential recordings of that music. The biggest problem is that whatever we play on the drumset is an adaptation of what is usually played by two or more people using different percussion instruments. So one while one person's interpretation may be different than another's, they will work if starting from the source material and staying true to the style.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Afro Cuban Grooves for Drums

Robby Ameen

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Afro-Cuban Rhythms for Drumset
by Frank Malabe and Bob Weiner

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really like this book. It has helped me tremendously with latin rhythms - https://www.dougauwarter.com/essentiallatinstyles
++++++1

This is THE book to get. It is far more than just page after page of drum rhythms. Doug Auwarter goes into lengthy explanations of the development and relationships of each rhythmic group, (which are also segregated and defined). He even goes as far as discussing Bass, Keyboard, and Guitar parts.

I found that after using this book I had a clearer understanding of the various Latin beats and how to translate them to the drum kit authentically.