Suggestion for a beginner electronic drum and for a drum game

Davedaniel

Reaction score
I would like to learn drumming. And would like to play at home on a electronic drum.
I have played rocksmith whilst learning electric guitar and that was really fun. And it would seem fun to be able to do something like that with a drum kit as well.

Are there games you can play with an electronic drum kit?
What electronic drum kit would be good for a beginner (that could maybe be connected to a game)?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

electrodrummer

Reaction score
Can connect anything with MIDI to a "game". Seek out DTXmania for a game example (not specific to the DTX)

If you want to actually learn, look at https://www.roland.com/uk/products/dt-1/ (again, can be made to work with most things)

And the eternal "what kit"? Question.... well here's my usual for you to consider :)

What kit shall I buy?
Few questions:
  1. Budget?
  2. What have you played and enjoyed?
  3. What features are you interested in?
  4. Where are you?
  5. ....and... budget :) ;)

And things to consider...
  • Hit some things. Buy what YOU like the feel of.
  • Download and read the manuals of anything you're interested in to get a grip on usability and features.
  • Avoid proprietary cable snakes.
  • Look for expansion flexibility
  • Look for MIDI note layering and switching and zero limits on what note or channel can be used on the kit.
  • Look for multi-zoned pads (pref 3-zone snare as a minimum)
  • Avoid cheapo Medeli-badged stuff.
  • Get 2nd user for more for your money.
No - go and test-drive :)

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to learn drumming. And would like to play at home on a electronic drum.
I have played rocksmith whilst learning electric guitar and that was really fun. And it would seem fun to be able to do something like that with a drum kit as well.

Are there games you can play with an electronic drum kit?
What electronic drum kit would be good for a beginner (that could maybe be connected to a game)?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
66samus did a great unboxing and played a Donner DED-200 and it's a great set and only costs $420.

WonderMonkey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can connect anything with MIDI to a "game". Seek out DTXmania for a game example (not specific to the DTX)

If you want to actually learn, look at https://www.roland.com/uk/products/dt-1/ (again, can be made to work with most things)

And the eternal "what kit"? Question.... well here's my usual for you to consider :)

What kit shall I buy?
Few questions:
  1. Budget?
  2. What have you played and enjoyed?
  3. What features are you interested in?
  4. Where are you?
  5. ....and... budget :) ;)

And things to consider...
  • Hit some things. Buy what YOU like the feel of.
  • Download and read the manuals of anything you're interested in to get a grip on usability and features.
  • Avoid proprietary cable snakes.
  • Look for expansion flexibility
  • Look for MIDI note layering and switching and zero limits on what note or channel can be used on the kit.
  • Look for multi-zoned pads (pref 3-zone snare as a minimum)
  • Avoid cheapo Medeli-badged stuff.
  • Get 2nd user for more for your money.
No - go and test-drive :)
I'm going to be going through that eternal question as well, after I hit the search feature, and will make sure I answer your questions (and others if I see them being asked), in my post.

Raw_Chuck

Reaction score
66samus did a great unboxing and played a Donner DED-200 and it's a great set and only costs $420.

That sounds like a better deal than I managed to get with my Simmons SD350 but we did get luck when we also found a SD550 at the thrift store for $5. Most of that kit actually works. I can't recommend this kit because everything on it is single zone. It does sound good and has lots of options for each piece.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For a drum game teaching tool you could check out melodics. I've never used it but see ads for it on my facebook. From what i can tell it's like rockband but specifically made for electronic drums