Suggestions for black rust on Rogers Tall Boy Hoop

BRicca

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm in the process of restoring a 64' Tower WMP snare and there are a few black rust spots on the inside of each hoop. I've bathed them in the 48 hr dawn bath, tried goof off, 3m general adhesive remover, and a 24 hr spot cola soak followed by foil. These have helped remove some of it, just the dawn seemed to do the most, but I'm looking for any suggestions someone may have. At first I thought it was tar or some other solidified sticking substance but then realized it was rust. The outer finish on these hoops is really nice and wanted to ask the experts before I abandon the effort. Thanks!

-Bill
682CB3C7-B027-48C7-8640-C6515F902516.jpeg
0CF0F46E-D2E7-4EAF-AB95-EFF6383B936F.jpeg
4CF14CF2-CD19-492A-B706-142ED16EDED6.jpeg
682CB3C7-B027-48C7-8640-C6515F902516.jpeg

LBCD

Reaction score
Try a dremel tool with a wire brush or lightly scrape at the oxidation. It looks like it might have eaten some of the metal itself?

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You cant remove that. The base metal has rusted and the chrome plating has bubbled up. You will never get it to look like the rest unless you sand blast it and rechrome it. its much cheaper and faster to replace the hoop if you want it to look like new.

BRicca

Reaction score
Thanks guys. When I originally started on them, there was a layer on top of what I shot in the pic. It was black and seemed to soften after soaking but was over the chrome in a slightly larger area. Upon removing that layer, that bottom corroded layer remains where the chrome has been eaten. It's actually easier to see in the photo rather than in person when I actually shot it. I wasn't completely sure if there was still a top layer over the chrome until I took the pics and zoomed in. Overall, the outer hoops are in decent shape, save for that one corroded spot on the inner reso hoop, and the drum cleaned up well. Thanks again for the input!

Best, Bill

Attachments