Suggestions On Drumming Space

Paiste18

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I really need some help brainstorming here. I have a mini drum studio at home. It's in my office area. My drums are basically in the corner of the room and everything just fits. This really has been a sore spot with the wife, for some reason she really wants a full home office. Plus I can't really play while she is home anyway so as much as I love my kit and my set up finding the time to play when nobody is home has become a real challenge.

I keep thinking there has to be a way to have a independent building of some sort. Because if I'm going to shoot video and need lighting there is only so much I can do in a corner in the office. The videos I have done have required me to set up lighting and take it down, but I really want a dedicated space that I can set this studio up, light the kit and leave it! Plus play whenever I want. I can just stop off at the studio on the way home for hours and bang out some work.

So tell me, am I just in a dream world or something? Is this actually possible without breaking my bank account? I have tried to call storage units but a lot of them don't allow that and I really need power and internet to do it right. I have no room on my property to build out anywhere. I have a two car garage but I really don't want to modify that area. I have way too many tools. I thought about renting commercial space, but that's not cheap and I don't want to rent something and then be told I have to get or something after I do all the work to the place. I'm open to any suggestions you may have. My brain is hurting on this one. I posted a picture of my current space. Thanks so much.

Attachments

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I really need some help brainstorming here. I have a mini drum studio at home. It's in my office area. My drums are basically in the corner of the room and everything just fits. This really has been a sore spot with the wife, for some reason she really wants a full home office. Plus I can't really play while she is home anyway so as much as I love my kit and my set up finding the time to play when nobody is home has become a real challenge.

I keep thinking there has to be a way to have a independent building of some sort. Because if I'm going to shoot video and need lighting there is only so much I can do in a corner in the office. The videos I have done have required me to set up lighting and take it down, but I really want a dedicated space that I can set this studio up, light the kit and leave it! Plus play whenever I want. I can just stop off at the studio on the way home for hours and bang out some work.

So tell me, am I just in a dream world or something? Is this actually possible without breaking my bank account? I have tried to call storage units but a lot of them don't allow that and I really need power and internet to do it right. I have no room on my property to build out anywhere. I have a two car garage but I really don't want to modify that area. I have way too many tools. I thought about renting commercial space, but that's not cheap and I don't want to rent something and then be told I have to get or something after I do all the work to the place. I'm open to any suggestions you may have. My brain is hurting on this one. I posted a picture of my current space. Thanks so much.
If it were me I would go with the set up and tear down (and store when not in use) option that you mentioned. It may seem like a lot of work, but honestly, we all do that every time we go to a gig, right? The reason I think that is the most workable (even if not the best based on your desires) solution is you did mention that you didn't have much time to play anyway. Plus there is that issue about living together. That requires compromise. But let's assume the other alternative: finding a dedicated space. Will you actually use it for playing, practicing and shooting videos enough to make the monthly recurring rental costs worthwhile? Something to factor into your decision. I am not trying to throw cold water on your wants and ideas, but from where I sit you don't have that many options, nor does it seem like you have justification for a separate space (from what I've read and inferred from your post.) I will end with a sincere, Good Luck!

EDITED TO INCLUDE: Looks like we are in the same area. I am just west of you off I-4!

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1. How about a spare bedroom?
2. Find a band with a secure rehearsal space.
3. I don't think basements exist in Florida or that would be a great spot.
4. What kind of job do you have? Any way to commandeer a work space? A long time ago I worked for a local company that sold TV's and Appliances. The stores all had storage space and we used to go in after hours to rehearse. It was so cool.

More later as I ponder...

Paiste18

Reaction score
If it were me I would go with the set up and tear down (and store when not in use) option that you mentioned. It may seem like a lot of work, but honestly, we all do that every time we go to a gig, right? The reason I think that is the most workable (even if not the best based on your desires) solution is you did mention that you didn't have much time to play anyway. Plus there is that issue about living together. That requires compromise. But let's assume the other alternative: finding a dedicated space. Will you actually use it for playing, practicing and shooting videos enough to make the monthly recurring rental costs worthwhile? Something to factor into your decision. I am not trying to throw cold water on your wants and ideas, but from where I sit you don't have that many options, nor does it seem like you have justification for a separate space (from what I've read and inferred from your post.) I will end with a sincere, Good Luck!

EDITED TO INCLUDE: Looks like we are in the same area. I am just west of you off I-4!
Thanks for the comment, I would be able to play a bunch more in a sperate area. What's happening right now is compromise, so I'm not playing enough right now to move this in a direction where I can take on session work and actually progress forward. I see what you mean about justifying the space and monthly bill, but if the goal is to do more to session work and build my channels I'm not sure its going to be possible in a small corner of a small office. If I was doing this as just a fun hobby I guess it won't matter, but playing more is needed, because I don't want my skills to diminish while I'm waiting to play. I do put in time on my practice pad, but somethings you need to be behind your kit.

Paiste18

Reaction score
1. How about a spare bedroom?
2. Find a band with a secure rehearsal space.
3. I don't think basements exist in Florida or that would be a great spot.
4. What kind of job do you have? Any way to commandeer a work space? A long time ago I worked for a local company that sold TV's and Appliances. The stores all had storage space and we used to go in after hours to rehearse. It was so cool.

More later as I ponder...
I have two guest rooms which I thought of converting one, but I would still have the issue of playing when people are home. I just want to say, "Hey, stopping off at the studio on the way home for a few hours." Dreaming huh? LOL

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I envy anyone who is able to really make this work at home with family, neighbors, and all the scheduling conflicts that creates. It's tough for me to justify playing at home while my kid is trying to concentrate on homework, for instance. Other than renting monthly rehearsal space, I don't know what you can do if you don't have a dedicated room with some significant (and expensive) soundproofing. You could build a dedicated detached space in the back yard, that will be very expensive and it would take years to justify building it over renting. I think having a place with a kit mostly already set up is crucial. If I had to set up a kit every time I practiced, I wouldn't practice.

I am very fortunate to have access to one of my kits set up for the church band I play in on Sundays. I can go in most evenings without issue and work on anything for hours. If there's something going on there where I can't, I usually can play a kit at home. That keeps my practiced and everyone happy. I am also very fortunate that my home is really sealed and insulated well with a brick exterior and double paned windows. I am actually not that audible outside, and have better than average distance between neighboring houses. Very doubtful my neighbors can hear me inside their homes. If I didn't have that, I'd shell out the cash to have a monthly room. Personally, I need a place to play and stretch out musically and play things badly where I'm not self conscious about people hearing me.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thanks for the comment, I would be able to play a bunch more in a sperate area. What's happening right now is compromise, so I'm not playing enough right now to move this in a direction where I can take on session work and actually progress forward. I see what you mean about justifying the space and monthly bill, but if the goal is to do more to session work and build my channels I'm not sure its going to be possible in a small corner of a small office. If I was doing this as just a fun hobby I guess it won't matter, but playing more is needed, because I don't want my skills to diminish while I'm waiting to play. I do put in time on my practice pad, but somethings you need to be behind your kit.
Session work is a means of adding income, so, again, if the space pays for itself (or comes close or, better, turns a profit), then, yes! On the plus side, space in Daytona is pretty affordable; one the minus side, just about the entire area has a high property crime rate. It would suck to have your stuff ripped off.

Paiste18

Reaction score
I envy anyone who is able to really make this work at home with family, neighbors, and all the scheduling conflicts that creates. It's tough for me to justify playing at home while my kid is trying to concentrate on homework, for instance. Other than renting monthly rehearsal space, I don't know what you can do if you don't have a dedicated room with some significant (and expensive) soundproofing. You could build a dedicated detached space in the back yard, that will be very expensive and it would take years to justify building it over renting. I think having a place with a kit mostly already set up is crucial. If I had to set up a kit every time I practiced, I wouldn't practice.

I am very fortunate to have access to one of my kits set up for the church band I play in on Sundays. I can go in most evenings without issue and work on anything for hours. If there's something going on there where I can't, I usually can play a kit at home. That keeps my practiced and everyone happy. I am also very fortunate that my home is really sealed and insulated well with a brick exterior and double paned windows. I am actually not that audible outside, and have better than average distance between neighboring houses. Very doubtful my neighbors can hear me inside their homes. If I didn't have that, I'd shell out the cash to have a monthly room. Personally, I need a place to play and stretch out musically and play things badly where I'm not self conscious about people hearing me.
I don't have reset up my kit, but all my lighting and stuff and cameras. Its hard to even get the same angles if I get a good shot because I have to take it down. The kit stays set up, but the playing time is few and far between. Thanks for the comment.

Paiste18

Reaction score
Session work is a means of adding income, so, again, if the space pays for itself (or comes close or, better, turns a profit), then, yes! On the plus side, space in Daytona is pretty affordable; one the minus side, just about the entire area has a high property crime rate. It would suck to have your stuff ripped off.
Yes I have been looking I wish I could find something, but I would definitely have to put a full alarm system in and take security measures.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have reset up my kit, but all my lighting and stuff and cameras. Its hard to even get the same angles if I get a good shot because I have to take it down. The kit stays set up, but the playing time is few and far between. Thanks for the comment.
Sorry I didn't have any actual advice, just some empathy. This is definitely the most difficult instrument to actually play.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have room on your yard for a yard shed? You could seal it up pretty well (not entirely sound proof) and add what amenities you want. You can go minimal, or deluxe - look up what DanRH did with his. Yes this will cost some $, but look at what you would be paying to rent a space over time.

TK-421

Reaction score
I'm in LA and I rent a lockout rehearsal studio. It's in a secure building and goes for $600/month for 24/7 access, and since I'm splitting the room with someone, my cost is only $300/month. Which is SO worth it. I know LA is a musician's town and lockout studios here are pretty plentiful. I have no idea about Daytona, but every city has bands so I would think there should be lockout studios available in other cities. Have you looked into that?

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
Sell your tools and convert your garage into a studio. That's what I did.
Or move your tools into a shed - and convert your garage or part of your garage.

Obviously the more space the better - but I'm in an 11x15 foot space right now - and am able to send out pro-level tracks and shoot reasonable video. That's about a third of a two car garage... It won't be cheap building such a thing - but it'll probably be cheaper than any other option. Short of renting a dedicated studio space - any commercial space will have to be sound proofed just as much (to keep your noise in and the world's noise out) and likely to more strict code requirements - plus it's throwing a ton of money at a rental... so if you own your place, that always makes more sense to me.

If your garage is detached, that's way better. But even if it's detached and you're only using part of it, put the drum studio room as far away from the house as possible.

Anyway - what I'm suggesting is by no means a small thing or any kind of a weekend project. When I was in North Hollywood, after having taught and recorded in the house for years - I finally broke down and converted the garage (about a 1.5 car space) into a proper sound-proofed space and it proved to a great investment for. I worked in that space for just short of 20 years - first as a small commercial recording studio and later as a studio strictly for me to do remote recording. And was able to work and play at all hours of the day and night... Actually the space is still being used - my ex rents it to a young drummer/percussionist as a recording/practice space - so it's still making money.

But all that said - do your research and really understand what is involved... because, no, it won't be cheap. You can do it as inexpensively as possible - but it won't be cheap. But sad to say, it is really hard to split the difference - without continuing to live with the consequences of constantly driving those around you crazy!!

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
Do you have room on your yard for a yard shed? You could seal it up pretty well (not entirely sound proof) and add what amenities you want. You can go minimal, or deluxe - look up what DanRH did with his. Yes this will cost some $, but look at what you would be paying to rent a space over time.
I have to chime in re: Dan's shed. As Dan has written - he has very understanding/supportive neighbors. Dan has posted as to what went into the making of his shed - and it adds up to be less sound proof than simply playing drums in the house with the doors and windows closed. A house is made of 2x4's with at least one layer of drywall on the inside and either plywood and siding on the outside - or better a nice thick layer of stucco. This makes for a relatively solid, heavy structure - that is still wholly inadequate for playing drums without disturbing your family and neighbors.

No TuffShed or Home Depot type shed even comes close to being as good as that - and as we all know, that still isn't very good.

Again I know that this has worked for Dan - in his very specific situation. He's in the incredibly lucky position that his noise doesn't bother his neighbors. And if I'm misinterpreting what Dan has written on this - I'm more than open to being corrected.

Point is - for most normal neighborhood situations, moving the drums out of the house and into a shed will only make matters worse.... a lot worse.

Paiste18

Reaction score
I'm in LA and I rent a lockout rehearsal studio. It's in a secure building and goes for $600/month for 24/7 access, and since I'm splitting the room with someone, my cost is only $300/month. Which is SO worth it. I know LA is a musician's town and lockout studios here are pretty plentiful. I have no idea about Daytona, but every city has bands so I would think there should be lockout studios available in other cities. Have you looked into that?
I wish! I will check around but I don't think they have such a thing here. Most bands here are some old guy with a guitar, LOL

Paiste18

Reaction score
I have to chime in re: Dan's shed. As Dan has written - he has very understanding/supportive neighbors. Dan has posted as to what went into the making of his shed - and it adds up to be less sound proof than simply playing drums in the house with the doors and windows closed. A house is made of 2x4's with at least one layer of drywall on the inside and either plywood and siding on the outside - or better a nice thick layer of stucco. This makes for a relatively solid, heavy structure - that is still wholly inadequate for playing drums without disturbing your family and neighbors.

No TuffShed or Home Depot type shed even comes close to being as good as that - and as we all know, that still isn't very good.

Again I know that this has worked for Dan - in his very specific situation. He's in the incredibly lucky position that his noise doesn't bother his neighbors. And if I'm misinterpreting what Dan has written on this - I'm more than open to being corrected.

Point is - for most normal neighborhood situations, moving the drums out of the house and into a shed will only make matters worse.... a lot worse.
My back yard is owned by a pool and a huge deck, no room for a shed, and for sure that would not be good for neighbors.

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I guess I'm lucky. One of the conditions when I got married was I was going to be in bands, play when we can, rehearse when we can and to be sure I have a home that can support a band. That was 42 years ago.

Today, we still practice in the basement of my home, (4 homes later and my wife of 42 years) fully supports it and even comes down occasionally to give us some kudos.

She stopped coming to gigs as she was the only wife that would be there and it was no fun to be alone when your hot husband is up banging on some cool sparkles while the dance floor is plagued with activity.

I should have it so rough.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score