Suggestions On Drumming Space

Paiste18

Reaction score
When I was dating my wife and she came to my house I had a 7 piece Ludwig kit in the office. So I'm not sure why she would be surprised that this is happening, lol. But it's really hard to play when people are home its so loud and really not pleasant to listen too. I'm not really interested in bands very much anymore. Like having 4 girlfriends and you can never make them all happy. I do like the idea of session work and I like doing drum covers. The video stuff is really flaking me out, because not only do I have to play the music, mix it and record it now I have to be a lighting guy and videographer. I don't know how these 16 year olds are doing it. I would just love a place where I could set up, light my kit up, get all the cameras in place and leave it! So I can just go in do some work and leave. I guess i'm dreaming lol.

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I was dating my wife and she came to my house I had a 7 piece Ludwig kit in the office. So I'm not sure why she would be surprised that this is happening, lol. But it's really hard to play when people are home its so loud and really not pleasant to listen too. I'm not really interested in bands very much anymore. Like having 4 girlfriends and you can never make them all happy. I do like the idea of session work and I like doing drum covers. The video stuff is really flaking me out, because not only do I have to play the music, mix it and record it now I have to be a lighting guy and videographer. I don't know how these 16 year olds are doing it. I would just love a place where I could set up, light my kit up, get all the cameras in place and leave it! So I can just go in do some work and leave. I guess i'm dreaming lol.

IMHO, 16 year olds have promoting parents and tons of energy like we used to. (Maybe it's just me, lol) Plus, they most likely don't have to work an 8+ hour day or support a family.

I think you have the right idea, just haven't found your "sweet spot" yet. Yeah, I had to. :)

drums1225

Reaction score
The best time to consider a dedicated space for music is before you buy (or rent) a house. The same can be said for choosing a spouse. :)

RockrGrl

Reaction score
Chiming in here - I play electric and my upstairs neighbor complains about the sound. Mind you I do not have an amp, the only sound he hears is the 'thap" of the sticks hitting pads and heads. I'm curently in the process of building a sound proof vocal booth. I have all the materials bought except for a full sheet of plywood, I haven't looked at the receipts yet, but its probably close to $2k for a 4'x4'x6' enclosure, with no treatment on the floor.
Here's what I would suggest (mind you none of this is going to be cheap):
1. take over 1 of the spare rooms
2. Build a room within a room that is as sound isolated (didn't say proof because that's nearly impossible unless you have Jeff Bezo's pockets) as possible.
OR
1. get a tuffy shed and put 1 side of it as close to the outside of your garage wall as possible
2. spend $$$$ to sound isolate it and don't forget about HVAC!!! Outside temps going to change and if you intend to use the space it has to be temp controlled to do that.

Obviously your equipment is going to be much more secure and protected inside the house, and temp control will be easier inside as well. Look at it this way its probably going to cost you $2-4 thousand to really fit that room up right, compare that to renting a space at $4-600 a month.

Good luck and tell us your progress!

rayboomboom

Reaction score
2. Build a room within a room that is as sound isolated (didn't say proof because that's nearly impossible unless you have Jeff Bezo's pockets) as possible.
This is exactly what I was thinking when I read you have a spare room right in the house already. A big plus is the kitchen is right down the hall!
No option is going to be cheap when it comes to drums. How about giving lessons to help with the cost?