Suggestions please - what kit package would you recommend to a new drummer

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who decided to try some drum lessons and is far enough in to want to buy a first kit. I am helping her look locally on the used/vintage market and can offer some guidance there. The hard part is most are drums only, and it becomes another set of searches for assembling the hardware, cymbals, etc. But I know there are some decent starter kits (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=drum+sets+complete), preferably with basic hardware, pedal, throne and some acceptable cymbals thrown in. Not having ever shopped that market, I would welcome suggestions, advice, endorsements (or warnings) to pass along - especially about the quality of snare drums in these packages. I am assuming in most cases the bass & toms would be acceptable with some better quality heads as an upgrade than these kits ship with.

Many thanks!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any of those listed will work realizing the cymbals are going to be a weak link. Personally, I recommend a Yamaha Stage Custom birch over all those listed.
Also, realize the cymbal pack I listed below is still cheap and not very good.

Last edited:

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any of those listed will work realizing the cymbals are going to be a weak link. Personally, I recommend a Yamaha Stage Custom birch over all those listed.
Also, realize the cymbal pack I listed below is still cheap and not very good.

Thanks for taking the time to assemble that package!

CAMDRUMS

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would encourage refined to buy used Zildjian A cymbals rather than the buttes series. They are relatively inexpensive and you can always resell them for the same price. The budget ones are not going to hold their value all.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I would encourage refined to buy used Zildjian A cymbals rather than the buttes series. They are relatively inexpensive and you can always resell them for the same price. The budget ones are not going to hold their value all.
Agreed. I will emphasize however that if he is new, then maybe any of those complete kits you mentioned will work. He can move to higher quality later.

Last edited:

Browny

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, buy used.

I picked up an old 1980ish Yamaha 5000 series as a gig kit for a couple of hundred bucks (AUD). White wrap finish in 13x9, 16x16 and 22x14 sizes. They sound great. Even had new G2 clears on the toms (which I swapped out for some white suede emperors I had lying around) and an SK2 kick head.

I ran a little bit of fine sandpaper over the edges to make sure they were really smooth, not that they were bad anyway, but these tune up really well. Probably a lot easier to find similar kits in North America than it is down here in Australia.

Pair that with a cheap Acro or sensitone or similar snare, find some old zildjian As (even start with only some 14” new beats and a 20” medium ride) and a used hardware pack. Don’t skimp too much on the throne, get a good one if possible.

In my opinion, something like that will get a lot more mileage than a new ‘full kit’ package that includes cheap drums, cheap cymbals and cheap hardware.

It’s more effort than buying the full set from the store, but it should pay off long term.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My advice for half a century has been go cheap on drums and expensive on cymbals. When I started saying this in the early 70's I was talking used. That's still a good way to go but now you can pick up a Pdp or Yamaha kit for $400 new, maybe $250 used and get something like this HHX Complex cymbal set for $660 https://www.amazon.com/Sabian-Compl...917&rnid=10158976011&s=warehouse-deals&sr=1-6 or some of the great deals on Turkish cymbals, I'd go with new cymbals if I had $1000 to spend.

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, something like that will get a lot more mileage than a new ‘full kit’ package that includes cheap drums, cheap cymbals and cheap hardware.

It’s more effort than buying the full set from the store, but it should pay off long term.
I agree, and we are looking locally for used for all of those reasons. Just wanted to offer my friend an introduction to what's available for similar range of dollars and what you get in exchange. One reason I know zilch about these intro kit packages is when I was still buying/selling, I mostly worked with vintage kits or occasionally higher end new kits. Having a friend starting out in what what may mostly be a home hobby, she may make different choices than I would. Thanks for the insights!

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Simple new solution is the Tama Imperialstar complete setup. Hardware is essentially pro level and the cymbals are better than the planet zs.
More efficient to buy this than assembling a set. Used can be good I'd you know what you are looking for, but if it's for Christmas morning, clean everything and get new heads.