Suitcase Drum Kit Survey

Bim-Tland

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm looking into developing a suitcase bass drum as a commercial product.
I'd be extremely grateful if any of you could take the time to fill out this quick survey about suitcase drum kits.

Please know I am not collecting any personnel or sensitive information, and everything is completely anonymous. :)

Moonman

Reaction score
Done. I personally like them in situations that require rustic or organic sounds. I've never played, or seen a modified one like you've shown in the survey. I pulled on out years ago after watching the infamous Cymbalholic Sinclair Lott play one on a light-night talk show like a boss. The most appealing thing about them to me is the unspoken statement that you can create great music on non-traditional surfaces and sometimes the best instruments (sounds required) for a song come from the child-like view and experimentation found when using one object for a purpose that it might not have originally been created for. My results probably won't help your survey too much, but the innocence I'm referring to is the same as watching my 3 year old daughter run a toy necklace back and forth along the edge of our table and saying, "Look Daddy, I'm making music!"

Bim-Tland

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Moonman!
The most appealing thing about them to me is the unspoken statement that you can create great music on non-traditional surfaces and sometimes the best instruments (sounds required) for a song come from the child-like view and experimentation found when using one object for a purpose that it might not have originally been created for.
This is very interesting, pinning down exactly what the appeal of suitcase kits is isn't easy, but I think you might have hit the nail on the head there.

Cheers!

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I did the questionnaire but ended by saying I don't think they are all that "cool" - maybe just uber convenient but I have had Flats kits that were way better than a suitcase kit. Just saying .....

Bim-Tland

Reaction score
I did the questionnaire but ended by saying I don't think they are all that "cool" - maybe just uber convenient but I have had Flats kits that were way better than a suitcase kit. Just saying .....
Fair enough, all feedback is good feedback. :)

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use mine quite a bit. People love the look of it and always come up and compliment how I can get so much sound out of this little bad boy.
978892BF-8534-430D-B512-C3F1D9D20BF1.jpeg

Drm1979

Reaction score
The flats kits are cool but they are quite expensive. Some of the appeal of the suitcase kit is its affordability as well.

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a suitcase rig that I rode hard for 2 years. The vibe is cool, sound was a bit of a compromise but still good. The conversation appeal was out of this world. I lucked into a Purecussion Headset kit for small coin so the suitcase rig has been relegated to one band’s rehearsal space. Still love it, probably won’t get rid of it. Designed and built by our own Mr. B.

Attachments

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Filled it out. IMO there are better ways to make a compact kit. I’d much rather have a 16” or even 14” tom conversion bass, or a cajon bass, something where the structure is optimized for sound, if the point is compactness. What makes a suitcase appealing is the look (or the fact, in some cases) of living as a busking traveler. If you can pack some of your kit inside it, so much the better. If you can brag that you scored it at a second hand shop or yard sale or free box, best yet.

So for a product, what makes sense to me is a universal conversion kit rather than a completed or heavily modified case drum. Kit should include a brace for attaching a standard foot pedal; legs and brackets to keep it from walking away; and some material for reducing rattle from handles or frames; and tips for picking out the most suitable ( :) ) case for good sound, and removing the inner fabric lining.

Bim-Tland

Reaction score
I use mine quite a bit. People love the look of it and always come up and compliment how I can get so much sound out of this little bad boy.
I have a suitcase rig that I rode hard for 2 years. The vibe is cool, sound was a bit of a compromise but still good. The conversation appeal was out of this world. I lucked into a Purecussion Headset kit for small coin so the suitcase rig has been relegated to one band’s rehearsal space. Still love it, probably won’t get rid of it. Designed and built by our own Mr. B.
Really cool kits here guys, Thanks for responding!

So for a product, what makes sense to me is a universal conversion kit rather than a completed or heavily modified case drum. Kit should include a brace for attaching a standard foot pedal; legs and brackets to keep it from walking away; and some material for reducing rattle from handles or frames; and tips for picking out the most suitable ( :) ) case for good sound, and removing the inner fabric lining.
Excellent point! Customization is a big part of what I'm looking to achieve, after all none of us want to play the same kit.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Buying a suitcase kit seems somehow pretentious.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was at our local shop.
Lady comes in, tells them about seeing a guy on the street playing a suitcase kit. Wants one. They told her I was the guy, talk to him. Tried to explain the mods needed. Didn’t want to hear any of that. Went back to the counter and asked them to find something like that. Thought about building and selling. Decided if she didn’t
07F9149B-FB20-464B-93A4-33892B9A1EDC.jpeg
have imagination to build one, probably won’t like playing one.

Bim-Tland

Reaction score
Decided if she didn’t have imagination to build one, probably won’t like playing one.
Good point here, sweet kit though i love the look!

It's already been done.

There are a few boutique sellers who offer pre-made suitcase drum kits, but its extremely hard to find them at i think most would consider a reasonable price.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Filled out the survey. I think the liability of the sound from the suitcase kick will always keep this as a DYI type setup. Just IMHO.

Here's mine, which I regularly gig. It is reliable, bulletproof and expensive, as it uses Rogers hardware. The kick has to be mic'd for applications beyond the odd acoustic gig in a living room or coffee house scenario.

01 Front.JPG

Last edited:

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Filled out the survey. I think the liability of the sound from the suitcase kick will always keep this as a DYI type setup. Just IMHO.

Here's mine, which I regularly gig. It is reliable, bulletproof and expensive, as it uses Rogers hardware. The kick has to be mic'd for applications beyond the odd acoustic gig in a living room or coffee house scenario.

View attachment 415992
Looks great.

How are you mounting the vibra slap? I've been thinking of mounting one but want to make sure the mount isn't killing the vibration needed.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looks great.

How are you mounting the vibra slap? I've been thinking of mounting one but want to make sure the mount isn't killing the vibration needed.
There is a holder available that connects it to a rod, such as the hi-hat, as you see here.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
The standard mount does kill a lot of the vibration; it “works” but you have to lower your expectations for the sound.

Bim-Tland

Reaction score

View attachment 415992
I love the decal(?) on the case, real old-school!

Latest posts